Monday, June 9, 2008

Class sample........................................



This is an 8 x 10 canvas board collage that I entitled Metamorphosis.

I am so enjoying teaching at the Albany Art Room and I thought I'd share one of the projects that I shared with students this past Saturday. Saturday's class was called Bodacious Backgrounds as we worked on two background techniques. Students worked on actual 8 x 10 stretched canvases and I, for demo purposes, worked on this canvas board.

This particular background technique was beginning with a double-sided text page adhered to the canvas, then using masking tape to peel off some of the paper. I discovered this technique in Claudine Hellmuth's Collage Discovery Workshop book a few years ago. I then demonstrated acrylic washes over the peeled paper and one of my own favorite additions to this technique is stamping over the dried washes with foam stamps and Gesso. I also gave students an option of using Walnut Ink spritzed over the peeled paper then stamping with the foam stamps. One student used old music sheets and the Walnut Ink was perfect for it.

The image, here, is from Paper Whimsy which I enlarged for print. I showed students how to use Shiva Art Sticks for "painting" the image to create a more "painterly" look to the image then outlining parts of the image with a white wax pencil.

I decided to work on finishing my piece at home today. I printed out the Metamorphosis definition on tissue paper that had been ironed on to freezer paper. A dear friend of mine, led me to this technique and I love it. The words, text, or quotes just "melt" into the background. Thanks Berta!

Just a note: Thank you ALL for your comments and leaving your marvelous title suggestions for my Asian painting. I'm so glad that I decided to offer this as a Blog challenge (see previous post) as I knew if I asked the experts, I would get creative and meaningful titles. :)

For anyone who hasn't commented with a title suggestion, please feel free to do so. The deadline isn't until June 22nd! I've got a handmade gift, here, waiting to send to the winner of the drawing.

All stay well and have a great week; it's very hot and humid here. We got hit with a heat wave, here, which is very unusual. We normally don't get this kind of heat and humidity until July and August.

My thoughts and prayers go out to people in the midwest who are getting hit with terrible storms,tornadoes, and floods! There were lives lost,properties damaged, people evacuated and some still dealing with the flooding.

Love to all........................Marilyn

11 comments:

Viola said...

WOW, Marilyn!! What a stunning piece of artwork again. Love it!! As always! ;o)

Laura said...

This is Really Beautiful, Marilyn!!
Great colors and all!

Sanja said...

Marilyn,
love the colors and background. your work is absolutely stunning!

Alexandra said...

Wow your canvas is really stunning Marilyn!

Gaby Bee said...

Such beautiful use of color. The peeled paper technioue gives an amazing effect. This background is simply perfect... love all the little details!

Femmy said...

absolutely fabulous Marilyn!!! thanks for sharing the technique! will try it soon!!

Melanie said...

this is absolutely stunning

Kerri Jean said...

Wowza, Marilyn,
I love your adaptation of claudine's technique. Fun class, I'm sure!!!

Karrin Hurd said...

Great piece Marilyn, I love it. Thanks for sharing your techniques!

Gillian .... said...

Love the colours/background to this canvas Marilyn, and the foam stamping is cool:)

Deb said...

What a lovely piece! Just dropping in to say hello and hope things are well with you - xox Deb
http://vintagemoonstudio.typepad.com