
More and more I'm coming to the realization that I, 1.) need more practice taking pictures :), and 2.) I have so much difficulty drawing human figures. No matter what I do, practice with books, sketch, doodle; it just doesn't work and I'm taking too much time with it which frustrates me as I feel it's taking away from my actual creating time.
I was recently in Barnes & Noble and decided to stroll around looking for a magazine I could read while having a cup of coffee. In the art section, I noticed Somerset's Workshop, Spring 2008 issue and thought that might be a good one to sit and peruse.
Much to my amazement, I found this fantastic article in the issue entitled Found Images & Paint Overs written by artist Lisa Bebi (http://lisabebi.blogspot.com/). Her artwork immediately attracted me so I read further and there are pages and pages of her technique using found images. Pretty much what it is, is using family photos, old postcards, and pictures, magazine clippings, photocopying them, reducing or enlarging as desired and then painting over them with acrylics!!! There's much more to the technique but this is the heart of it.
This is a picture (and really not a great one), the pink in the picture came out purple but it's the image that really is the focus, of my first attempt at this technique. The image of this bathing beauty was from a vintage postcard that I have. I photocopied it with black and white ink, cut out, added to the painting, and did a paint over using fluid acrylics and gesso. I had such fun with this!! It's very addictive. I had fun selecting colors for the bathing suit; used Gesso to create the polka dots. It was a little tricky, for me, to get the skin tone but with a little practice I was happy with the results.
I just feel the technique is wonderful for someone, like me, who cannot really draw a recognizable figure :) I always say art is a path and it was such a wonderful surprise to come across Lisa's article in the Workshop on that day. I had to email her and let her know how much she inspired me.
Hope you all are having a happy day and thank you for visiting!
Love to all - Marilyn
15 comments:
it's beautiful marilyn!! love the shades of green in the background!!!
This is great, Marilyn! The sound of the technique reminds me abit of the collage/paint technique from the affirmation collages. This is more paint, though. It came out terrific for you!!
It looks so great, Marilyn! Wonderful composition!
Marylin. I love your canvas. It looks really wonderful!
terrific and so atmospheric,love it.
Hi Marilyn
Just discovered this technique my self through someones blog,I cant remember who's . I have difficulty getting proportions right so this is a great way for me to paint people.I have started one you might get to see it on my blog!
You have done a great job I love it ,I will look forward to seeing a lot more of these paintings .
Thanks for sharing I'm going to check out the website you so kindly shared with us .
Love from sesga xx
I love it! I have been meaning to get that magazine, I guess I need to make a trip to Borders.
marilyn thank you for sharing your results ---- which are sweeet.
i love this piece. i could never tell that the woman was originally from a vintage postcard.
this work is 100% your style. i thought i might be able to claim some of it, but no, you have come into yourself.
congratulations. it really a nice piece - i love the atmosphere of it too.
thank you for reading about my paintover technique and sharing it.
as i say, it makes me feel SOOOO good when i find out someone has tried that technique .
if you ever have any questions about the technique or want me to look at your art for help - this goes to everyone out there- email me
lisabebiart@aol.com
Marilyn this is stunning, I love the colours you've used, really retro yet modern at the same time.
Fantastic work.
Thank you for sharing this marilyn, I too really struggle with painting people, I am off to check out the link you provided, your "Fun in the Sun" is fabulous btw:)
love the colors!stunning canvas,Marilyn!
xo
So summery feeling! Love it! :)
Marilyn,
I love it! Beautiful job! I too have struggled with people but at the same time I am very attracted to them. I learned a similar technique in Misty Mawn's class with faces and it helped me a lot. I will have to check into Lisa's technique as well. Thanks for the inspiration. :)
Cheers Pattio
It looks great!! That issue is really packed with technique articles - am going to play with some of the myself this summer :0)
Hope all is well and that you are enjoying the summer (despite all of the rain we seem to have lately!) xo Deb
Don't you just feel inspired by Lisa Bebi!!! Love what you did with her inspiration,she moved me too. Can I add your link on my blog Marilyn,have we met before?
Post a Comment