Thursday, June 5, 2008

"Untitled"......................



This is an Asian abstract painting I'm currently working on. It's still a work in progress and I thought I'd share what I have so far. It's funny how visions of a piece can enter our heads and then we sit down t0 create it and it ends up coming out entirely different than first thought. Does this happen to you?

There was a face to this Kimono when I started but I just wasn't comfortable with it. I really didn't want it to be about a person. There's a lot going on with this painting; the picture really doesn't show all the textural inclusions .

This is my first time working on illustration board (18 x22) and I'm finding I really enjoy it as a substrate. It really can take a heavy brush stroke :).

What I'm really stuck on is putting a title to this piece. Does any one have any suggestions?

How about we turn this into a Blog challenge? Submit a suggested title for this piece, I'll draw your name with suggested title in two weeks - say deadline to be: Friday, June 20th. I will then send a gift to the selected participant :) Sound like fun?

You can enter by leaving a comment, here, along with your suggested title to this piece. If you are unable to comment, please email me with your suggestion (Artbeliever@gmail.com).

Thanks so much for visiting and I so appreciate your friendships and support. Have a safe, happy and artful weekend ahead.

Much love - Marilyn

24 comments:

Femmy said...

it's beautiful marylin!! great colours! can't wait to see it when you have finished it.
will think about a title, but that's gonna be difficult!

Lorri said...

Love it :)
Really striking colour combinations!I see it as a fusion of various colours, textures and items... so here's my idea for title:

ZEN FUSION

ORIENTAL FUSION

Elizabeth said...

Love this piece marilyn! The first impression that I had was of Architecture- The square white stmpings look like windows with frost on them and the dragonfly speaks to me of freedom and spring so how about:
Asian Spring

Spring Window

?????
Not easy to do- but a wonderful piece!!
Hugs Elizabeth

Kaz said...

this is super gorgeous marilyn, the name that stuck with me is cos of one colour popping out, and cos of what i like etc...

BLACK.

lol not very inspiring...but your painting sure is.

Anonova said...

What a fantastic piece, Marilyn! You use texture here the way some artists use colour. Just fascinating!

My suggestion for a title:
Dragonfly - Unboxed

Heather said...

This is gorgeous Marilyn...I want to touch it!! So full of textures...amazing!

My title idea is: Soul Searching

Hugs, Heather

Kerri Jean said...

Love this, Marilyn.
The word kimono literally translates to "thing to wear" (wikipedia makes us all seem so smart)... so my suggestion is...

To wear beauty

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hi Marilyn what a cool challenge and an amazing painting I love it .
My suggestion: Eastern Promise.

love from sesga xx

Anonymous said...

Marilyn.. thanks for the birthday wishes... it is going to be a busy couple days.. Dinner tonight with the folks will be relaxing.. My idea for your collage is
A COIN IN MY POCKET
Looking at the others so far I really like Eastern Promise.. Very cool...

Anonymous said...

one more suggestion :
The order of Odonata.

A Dragonfly is a type of insect belonging to the order of odonata ,I went on wikipedia.
The painting is beautifully balanced hence ,order being a good word to use to describe.
It also sounds like some Asian Monk's don't you think ?Or like a Harry potter book .Anyway enough rambling . love from sesga xx

Patti Sandham said...

"Kimono Dreams" pops into my head as soon as I see your piece. It is just lovely Marilyn. I would love to see it in person to appreciate all the textures.

Hugs Pattio

Alexandra said...

Your piece is fantastic Marílyn.

lindacreates said...

Hi Marilyn, absolutely wonderful, I just wish I could feel the texture. The name that I am coming up with is:

"HIDDEN TREASURES"

I look forward to seeing it when it is complete.

Viola said...

It`s really a fabulous piece, Marilyn! So wonderful!

My idea:

ENTRANCE TO DREAMLAND

Have a great weekend! :-)

Patti G. said...

Marilyn,
SO many wonderful ideas here for names! I was looking at it again and feel that the process of your creating is complex and deep and then really, when I look at the art is makes me peaceful......so I will go with....

Peace through Complexity

Thanks for the challenge! :0)
Hugs,Patti

Sanja said...

fantastic work again Marylin!
in moment have I no title idea!:-((

Gillian .... said...

This piece marilyn is so full of intrigue and mystery, but also balanced. I love what you have achieved so far.

Ying Yang Fusion
or
Full of Eastern Promise

lol .. I could go on ... I may be back :)

Evidence of an Artistic Life said...

This is really beautiful!!No inspiration for a name from me-no sleep in 3 days due to storms, tornadoes, flooding and heavy winds!
hugs, chris

Helen said...

Marilyn--stunning as always. Love your art. Here's my suggestion for a title:

ASIAN MYSTERIES

Hope to see you soon. Helen B.

Carol Q said...

beautiful Marilyn. can't wait to see the finished piece. so much to look at!

bockel24 said...

Lovely piece, Marilyn. My first idea for a title was "Let your dragon fly" but doesn´t it sound a bit silly?

ArtPropelled said...

Beautiful piece!
My title suggestions would be:

HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN
SENSEI DREAMING
Samurai Dreams

Gaby Bee said...

A really fantastic piece, Marilyn! Wonderful texture and composition.
My suggestion:

ASIAN WAFUKU STUDY (wafuku jap. 和服)

wafuku means traditional japanese clothes.