Tuesday, January 13, 2009

"Not in Vain".........................


I'm recently learning to crop some of my larger works that haven't been working for me. I use different sized mats and work around the piece until I find a spot that I like. This is an example of that.
This piece was originally a 9 x 12 and I just didn't feel comfortable with it that large. There were areas that were just lost.
I cropped it down to a 5 x 7 and ended up seeing more in this piece than when it was originally done on the larger scale.
I recently came across a poem in an antique book that just grabbed me and it's by Emily Dickinson. It's called Not in Vain. I scanned the poem, cut it out and added it to this piece.
This poem moved me so much, I added it to my Blog (see top left). I just love it!!!!! I hope you enjoy it, too.
Hope you and yours are all well. Thank you all for your continued support and friendships; your lovely comments really mean so much to me!
Love to all...............................................Marilyn xxoo

15 comments:

Heather Robinson said...

I love the idea of cropping works that just aren't "right". This one is gorgeous and to think that you found such a wonderful poem to accompany it!! Thank you for sharing it. I'm a big fan of Emily's poetry.

DJ said...

Very nice piece!
And I love the poem too. :)

Laura said...

I love the piece, Marilyn! I've never been an Emily fan, but I DO really like that one.

Femmy said...

love this piece Marilyn, the poem is wonderful too!!

Kaz said...

I love this stunning piece, the colours and the texture on it are just gorgeous. There is so much to see. fantastic artwork Marilyn, just love it.
The poem is very moving, I can see why you chose it, and it's very "New Year" sort of feeling too...
:))

Gaby Bee said...

Wow Marilyn, what a stunning piece - so much to look at and I just love the real flowers. Fabulous texture and color choise. Love the poem also.
Gaby xo

Evidence of an Artistic Life said...

This is so beautiful Marilyn! The poem is perfect!!
hugs, chris

Diane J. Evans said...

Love the piece, Marilyn. And thank you for your comment on the video -- it just came to me today, and it was well timed. It touched me as it did you. Nice to share such sentiments with each other!

Viola said...

What a wonderful piece, Marilyn! Gorgeous work again!!

Sanja said...

amazing texture,Marilyn!brilliant work!
xoxo
Sanja

Alexandra said...

Marilyn your Collage is fantastic. I love this piece!

Elizabeth said...

Cropping is such a wonderful tool that I think many of us forget about!! Thanks for reminding us to make use of it!!! I have ALWAYS loved this poem by Emily- but then I love birds!!! Great addition to your beautiful piece!!
Stay warm myy frined!!
Hugs!
Elizabeth

Barb said...

Oh Marilyn,
What a stunning canvas - love the colors! :)

Karrin Hurd said...

Lovely collage, and wonderful poem.
Stunning work as usual Marilyn!

Carol Q said...

I think this is gorgeous Marilyn. Works very well, lovely colours and textures.