Monday, September 28, 2009

Restoration ..........................

As most of you know, I'm a flea-market junkie and just love browsing around looking for gems to alter or incorporate in my art work. My found elements use does not exclude home decor :) If someone asked me what my decorating fashion is in my home, I would have to say "shabby chic eclectic". :)

My husband and I used to do a lot of antiquing until we ran out of room in our modest home. But; I continue to add little touches here and there from what I find at the shops or flea markets.

The first picture, here, is of an antique print that I fell in love with at a flea market that I attended with some special friends during the summer. The print of the roses is from 1892 which automatically drew me in. The only thing is, it was so delicate and even touching it, the paper would start to tear. But; I had to have it anyway. I brought it home and decided to try to restore it. I applied liquid medium to both sides very carefully, drying in between, then letting it sit flat with a heavy book over it for a few days.

My husband made a beautiful wooden "shadow-box" type frame for the print and I had fun treating the raw wood; gesso of course :) and I used a crackle texture compound around the frame and added some weathering with acrylics
.

I then turned to my print and started restoring some of the colors in roses with oil pastels and wax pencils. I applied soft gel medium, let that dry and then adhered to the inside of the frame. We were quite pleased with the result.

Now; where to hang this? Hmmmmmm; decided that it just had to hang on the front of our antique "faux mantle" which is in our living room. The mantle was purchased at an antique shop in Cooperstown and is a pre 1700's piece!

Thought I would share a little piece of my world here with you :)

I wish you all a safe, happy, and artful week ahead. Again; it's so good to be back with all of you again!!!!

Love and good health to all.................................Marilyn xxoo

18 comments:

bockel24 said...

what a lovely rose print, and you´ve altered and framed it beautifully!

Sandy said...

Wow this is a romantic print.
Absolutely lovely.

Martina said...

OMG, Marilyn! What a wonderful romantic print. Fantastic!!!!

fran pascazio said...

Marilyn,
This print is beautiful...I would have loved to see it pre-Marilyn. Your antique matel is also stunning...
fran

fran pascazio said...

Sorry - I meant maNtel - my fingers work faster than my brain!
fran

Gaby Bee said...

So charming, Marilyn! You are so multi talented, seems you can do anything :)

Patti G. said...

This came out just fantastic Marilyn,and I love the look and FLAVOR of your style! The mantel and rose print look great together too!!!!! Wheeeeeeee, beautiful!
Hugs,Patti

Elizabeth said...

What a fabulous job you did restoring and honoring this beautiful piece!!!! Fabulous work and beautifully done!! I would love to go antiqueing with you in your part of the world!!!
Hugs!
Elizabeth

Viola said...

How wonderful, Marilyn! Love it!!

Laura said...

It turned out great, Marilyn! AND looks super there.

Diane J. Evans said...

Love the piece AND the setting -- how perfect and how very YOU!

Diane

Laura Haviland said...

Marilyn I am so "thrilled" you are back to blogging, I have missed you so very much. I was away and playing catch up around the house.
Not much time for art or computer these days. Oh well, makes me enjoy when I do create.
This is a lovely print,great on the matel.
Again my day is made to see the lady who truly "Rocks" back.
Can't wait to see what is next.
Welcome back dear friend.
Big Hugs,Laura.

jgr said...

It looks beautiful! What a great idea to restore it,
I love the frame, too.

Connie said...

your print is gorgeous!...and so is your frame!....my, what a wonderful collection of antiques...

Laura Haviland said...

What a great imagination you have Marilyn, can't wait to see what is next in your art work.
Hugs, Laura
Can you share some information about tranfers, what medium do you use ? You awesome using tranfers too. Enjoy you day.

Sugar Lump Studios said...

your print would go well in my dining room! :) gorgeous art and I love the display! your house looks as charming as you are! :)

Kerri Jean said...

what a great find and lovely restoration. how wonderful that you found each other and could give it new life. Ted's frame is awesome too!!

Deb L. said...

What a find! And what a lovely job you did restoring it... perfect for the mantle (and what a find that was too!)Love that bicycle ;-)

xox