
First off; I want to thank you all for your well wishes. You seem to have the power of healing as I'm starting to get my "mojo" back again. Each day I am getting rid of "the bug".
This photo is a mixed-media piece that I began working on a couple of weeks ago. It's been part of my online portrait class and I'm just getting to finishing it. I still need to add some words, but they haven't come yet. I wanted this piece to be very dramatic.
A few months back I watched a show on PBS on the life of a ballerina. It was quite interesting and, at least, from what I observed, they all had one thing in common - both men and women - they never smiled. Perhaps a smile, or two, would come out during a rehearsal but I may have been looking too hard. The life of a ballerina is not an easy one both physically and mentally. It's hard work with the reward mostly being the personal enjoyment of actually the dance and luckily being chosen for a performance. The competition is so tight! Their self-discipline - so exhausting!
I instantly thought how this might pertain to my art life. I have more thinking, on this, before actually posting about it. More thoughts to come..................
But; this show inspired me to work on this piece and I didn't have a "model" to go by. I sketched this from my memory of what I saw in some of the faces of the ballerinas. That common, soulful, distant look.........................
Hope you are all having a good start to your week. I'm going to spend, this week, catching up, little-by-little, with household chores and errands - slow as I go.
Thinking of you all............................Love, Marilyn xxoo
29 comments:
Love this, Marilyn! Beautiful colours. I admire anyone that can do freehand art.
It's very moving.... I think you captured her expression beautifully and I know the words will come.
Beautiful imagery Marilyn, a wondrous collage with a bit of fancy!
From watching a show to this extremely soulful art. You have captured the feeling so well. Dedication to dance...
Beautifully done Marilyn.
Marilyn, I'm so happy to hear that you're beginning to feel better! Your creation really captures the spirit of the dance. Beautiful work! Hugs, Terri xoxo
Wow I love it.
So fantastic.
Wonderful art.
I am glad you are feeling better, what a great piece of work!
Fantastic piece of art, dear Marilyn!
WOW I've every time the same words*g*
The eyes are so expressive and the half mouth color!!I'm excited again. An amazing fascinating art work.
Hugs Anja
Beautiful, Marilyn!! She really does have the soulful eyes of a ballerina--be good to yourself--stay healthy!
This is lovely, Marilyn. Your drawing skills amaze me, especially that you can draw the emotions you want to portray. Struggles abound in any profession, especially if you are disciplined. Your piece and your thoughtful post are a reminder of that. Glad to hear you are beginning to feel better.
the face is so pure and composed, I can see her dancing now. Glad you are on the mend.
so glad you are feeling better and this is a wonderful piece Marilyn .. I think you got it!
great that you are feeling better M!
sketched from memory ... all the more brilliant, Love the close up view WOWEE! there is a lot of drama, this painting really has a story to tell, the ballerina slippers are so fantastically placed too! You must be SO very pleased with this creation!
oxo
I'm so glad you are feeling better! Your painting really conveys the strain the dancers must feel. Very beautiful work!
You have truly captured "soulful" -- she has a fabulous look!
Diane
Hi Marilyn, glad you are feeling better and this piece is awesome.
debby
Wonderful. You have captured the moment. The look. It is truly wonderful.
Glad to hear you are feeling better! Keep on getting better!
Your ballerina is wonderful...so very beautiful!
Can't wait to see what you come up with to complete her...I'll be watching and waiting!
Glad you are on the mend! Beautiful work. You did that face from MEMORY?
Jane
I love her expression,so serious,you captured what you saw so well! I love it. She's beautiful.
First, so glad you are starting to feel a little better. As I see you posted yesterday, hopefully you are even alot better today. Second, love this painting. And- I think you have already said the words for your background- you said that "you're starting to get your mojo back!" That would be perfect!! :) Love the ballet theme, the delicate slippers,and the dancer... all with a sense of energy coming through!
Beautiful work Marilyn, i love this one its quite magical
hugs June xxxxx
I think you work even when you are sick. You amaze me and I love this piece and the inspiration behind it. Glad you are feeling a little better Marilyn. I hope you keep improving.
I am glad you feeling better....be gentle with yourself....
Her eyes are so sad...it's as if one can see the sacrifices she has made to exercise her love...
Hugs
Marilyn - glad you are feeling better, not much fun when you don't! I love your work and you are so right ... a dancer's life is hard. Creative but very hard work. I've known a few in my life and admire them. Your creation captures the spirit of the dance, the spirit and soul of the dancer! *applause*
what pretty colors, she has nice eyes. It's funny though the first thing I noticed was that it looks like a button on her throat, like she is all button up and can't verbally express herself......glad you are feeling better
Marilyn your 'Ballerine Girl' is gorgeous!! She does have the look of a distant soul!! How awesome that you created this look from memory!! Girl, you rock!!
Love it! It`s wonderful!!
Post a Comment