Saturday, May 22, 2010

Journal Portrait Exercise


I took a little time, today, to work on this journal page. It started out as just a portrait exercise but I kept seeing a content expression forming on her face. So, I wanted lots of positive words to this page.

I haven't been creating much art, lately, but I've decided that it's okay. I used to get a little cranky and very frustrated when I couldn't find time to create; like something was pent up inside me and had to come out. I'm not feeling that lately. My husband and I have been doing some improvements to the house, here, painting inside, we just picked up our interior doors so they will be installed soon. We've just about cleaned out the basement, with the help of my son, and are going to gear up for a garage sale soon. Next will be a new kitchen floor so maybe that's why I'm not frustrated by not creating art; I feel like there are things that are getting done that needed attention for so long.

I find purging things, once in awhile, to be very cathartic. No need to hang on to things for years and years. Sometimes it takes tough decisions but we managed to agree on what should go and stay :) That's not always easy :)

Tomorrow, Melanie and I begin our three-session altered book workshop and I am really looking forward to that so I will be sharing pictures soon.

Wishing you all a safe and happy weekend. I so appreciate your visits and the lovely comments you leave here for me. Your support and friendships mean the world to me. Thank you!

Peace and joy to all! Love - Marilyn xxoo

27 comments:

Kimber said...

Love your blog header!
Also the portrait and words...the colored dots add alot of positive energy - great job!
Good luck with the house stuff.
Altered book workshop sounds fab! Wish I was gonna be there!
Take care!

Debby said...

This is so awesome, I love it.
Debby

Anonymous said...

Great journal page, it makes me think of you when I see the face. I get that pent up need to create too, but you are right, doing something creative around the house is just as satisfying. Have a great workshop and thanks as always for your kind and thoughtful comments. xox Corrine

Marlynn said...

Marilyn - I too have to say how much I love the header and the pink! Your journal page is wonderful. Thank you for sharing the thoughts on creating. I too feel I am letting myself down if I am not playing up here in my room, but I really need to clean and sort and move some stuff into other's hands! You are inspiring! Hugs!

Diane J. Evans said...

Beautiful journal page! And great inspiration to do some spring cleaning, too -- you're giving inspiration on ALL fronts!

Diane

~*~Patty S said...

You certainly sound and look creative to me Marilyn! Feathering your nest is very creative and important work I believe! You will enjoy the changes too I'm sure.
I have missed visiting you and do not want to miss a thing ... your blog header and journal page are double WOW!
oxo

Createology said...

My goodness Marilyn you managed to create this lovely art and clean, sort and dispose of things? Whew! Purging is cathartic and I should do more of it I know. Keep the momentum...

Patti Sandham said...

I think this is my favorite portrait so far. :) Wonderful page!

lindacreates said...

I applaud you for letting go of things. I struggle with this and purge on a regular basis. I love your painted content lady. Your portraits are wonderful.

Janny said...

Beautiful your new Blog Header! Lovely painting Marilyn;o)

Carol Q said...

lovely journal page Marilyn. very calming. Love your blog header. I agree on the need to create too. In our house I chuck things out after a few months if they haven't been used and then get told off! LOL

Sugar Lump Studios said...

Hello Marilyn
Your journal exercise turned out awesome...you really are such a fantastic artist.
I understand about the "getting cranky" when we can't create...but with all the home improvements in many ways it is "creating" but on a different level. I spent all day creating art yesterday...and it felt good...but I kept thinking about things that needed to be done here (painting, planting etc.)
Hope you have a wonderful Sunday m'dear!

Buffy said...

She's beautiful,I get cranky when I don't have time for my art too or if I don't know what to make. Glad you had some time to make something.

Diane said...

Wonderful journal page, Marilyn. And I know what you mean about cleaning out and getting rid of stuff--once I get going--it's actually fun.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Beautiful and content looking lady in your journal, Marilyn. I'm glad to hear your home improvement projects are not frustrating. I'm a bit like you were. If I can't create, I feel out of sorts. I'm glad you have overcome that. Of course, you have other outlets like Sophia and your workshops to help you through the remodel/renovation messes, too.

Have a lovely rest of the weekend. Hope your workshop went well.

Sandy said...

Oh wow this is absolutely awesome.
Fantastic work and your painting rock. Love it.

Butterfly Works said...

I really like the new look of your blog; so summery....love the journal page.....she's looking very peaceful.....and I heard one time that we need to clean out so new things can come into our life....Wonder what's on the way with all your work that's going on?
I want to thank you for all your encouraging comments you leave me; they mean alot...
Hugs

Lynne said...

Beautiful portrait Marilyn! I can see a lot of expression in her face, so the words you added are perfect! Love the background colors with flourishes & dots!!
Love the new banner!!!

Dianne said...

I so agree with you about purging... I've been doing it lately as well. I find it freeing. Your page is lovely. I love your portraits.

Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings... said...

Cool Marilyn...
I think she looks like she's pondering somthing over in her head.
Happy Sunday...
xoxo~Kathy @
Sweet Up-North Mornings...

Jill Zaheer said...

Oh, i just love this portrait- the face is beautiful- calm, so pretty, thoughtful, contemplative- yet peaceful. The background is full of energy with such great words to compliment her! Cleaning can be really great- often giving rise to such a burst of creativity for new energy to emerge! Thanks so very much for stopping by to comment. So thoughtful as always!!

Cindy McMath said...

Marilyn, all of your latest portraits are fantastic. This woman looks like she's been there, done that, and is quite pleased about it.

Also particularly loved the colours and 'mixed media-ness' of the one with the ballet shoes.

Love your new banner too!

Thanks for dropping by my blog and leaving such sweet comments too!

Cindy :)

johanna said...

great header, marilyn!! love these colors! and the journal page is wonderful, too!
you are right, if you work on the house that gives a big content, too! seeing results and improvement always gives a good feeling!
enjoy your workshop! looking forward to pictures!
have a great week, oxox - johanna

Kim Palmer said...

Popped in through Lovey's eye candy fun and so pleased I did. Love your journal pages Marilyn the portraits are wonderful! Thank you also for popping in to my blog and saying hello, it's always wonderful to hear from people!

Anonymous said...

Hi...nice to meet you!
creating is a wonderful release, when you need to find a release in something!
i love your journal pages..i've had a peek through!

come by and have a peek at my sketchy post for today!

ciao bella
creative carmelina

sharon said...

Always beautiful Marilyn!
Wishing you great success with your class!!

fran pascazio said...

Marilyn,
This new creation of yours has a beautiful face! She really is wonderful! Love her...

good wishes