Monday, May 10, 2010

The "lost weekend"..............................


I've been a little quiet, here, sorry about that. I feel so out-of-the-loop but stuff happens. I came down with a nasty bug last Thursday and it really hit me hard and fast! I had to cancel the whole weekend which included my art reception on Friday night; was in an art exhibit at the Albany Art Room with two of my dear friends, had to cancel Part II of my collage workshop, on Saturday, but most importantly had to postpone my annual Mother's Day brunch which I so look forward to. I was looking forward to my daughter-in-law's first Mother's Day celebration with Sophia and family. Am I whining here? Maybe a little I guess. Our bodies have a way, at times, of telling us we've been doing too much; maybe we're vulnerable and pick up these nasty bugs as a result. Who knows but we get it and can get it from anywhere at any time.

I had some time to put it all in perspective to let myself slow down and even though I was sad to miss out on so much, my thoughts turned to the fact that all my loved ones are okay and could still enjoy their time together. I certainly didn't want to share my nasty bug with everyone that I love :) I have reschedule the brunch for next weekend so I can still look forward to the time with everyone.

I'm not much of a TV person (except my favorite show is The Office) and my husband is a news junkie. Because I was pretty immobile, this weekend, he had the news on a lot that I could hear and see. I mean I know what's going on, in the world, but don't like to be barraged with it all the time; it feeds my mind and I just wish I could do something about what I'm taking in. I get very frustrated. But, I have to say, listening to so much news, this weekend, kind of snapped me out of my sadness thinking on what I was missing out on. Go figure!

During this time, my thoughts went to the people in Tennessee who are still trying to recover from the devastating floods, the oil spill that cannot be contained, people who have illnesses that can't be healed in just a week or so. The mind works in strange ways but our thinking patterns can help us heal - can't they? They can kind of "snap us out of it" when we're thrown some curves. I'm probably not expressing myself very well but felt the need to "blow this stuff out".

I do hope you all had a good weekend; Happy Mother's Day to all of you. We don't have to have children to be nurturers; that's a topic for another time. I promise I'll address that in future :) But; we all have or had mothers to think about on this weekend. Mine just turned 90 a couple of months ago! Anyway; hope you enjoyed your time.

I did get a little blog visiting in, this weekend, and hope to catch up more this week. I'm feeling a bit stronger today and with each day will get myself back to "normal" whatever that is :)

I've uploaded pictures here of some journal work I did before I got sick. These are journal exercises from my online class which was sketching our figures, writing over the faces, and we used a new medium......Conte crayons! I love them. I tried one exercise in black and the other in sepia. My favorite is the sepia color; the black is okay but a little harsher. The crayons are like butter and they do need a fixative; I used non-scented hairspray. We were to doodle with a white gel pen; I really enjoyed this activity. I'm so hooked on journaling now!

Well; I've taken up much, too much, of your time here. But; I guess I needed to spill out my words. :)

Hope you are all well and safe; enjoy the week ahead! I've missed you!

Much love - Marilyn xxoo


23 comments:

Buffy said...

Love both of your journal pages. Its sounds like a fun class. What class is it? I'm sorry you were sick all weekend and had to cancel so many plans.Sounds like you had a busy weekend planned too. But you're right your bobies seem to tell us when we need to slow down.Keep resting.Hope you feel better soon. Oh and my husbands favorite show is the office. It is funny,I always watch bits and pieces of it.

Anonymous said...

So sorry you were down and out for Mother's Day,but I totally agree that getting those nasty bugs is our way of taking time to rest without much option. I met a girl from Nashville yesterday who said her whole neighborhood, except their house was under water.
All her friends and neighbors, how sad, so much turbulence going on in the world with the weather too! Hope you are well on the mend and back to your art which so reflects your beautiful spirit.

Terri Kahrs said...

Love the journal pages, and am so sorry to hear that you've been under the weather, Marilyn. Hope you're feeling better soon. Hugs, Terri xoxo

Sandy said...

Gosh your journal pages are really unique.
So fantastic work. Love the grungy effect.

Elizabeth said...

Fabulous journal pages Marilyn!! So sorry to hear about your little Visitation from DA BUG and that you had to cancel everything!! You have such a marvelous attitude and a great way of putting it all in perspective. We do run ourselves down and we need to listen to our bodies when they tell us to slow down. We are all so very lucky and blessed with our wonderful loved ones, good health (basically) and safe homes, you expressed it all so well!! Glad to hear that you were able to reschedule your brunch. Hugs form babies a re so much nicer when everyone is healthy!!!!
Take good long naps to regain your strength and let others be good to YOU!!!!
Hugs!

sharon said...

Love these pages Marilyn....they are really powerful. So sorry to hear you were sick, but glad to see you are starting to feel better!

Alexandra said...

Hi Marilyn, your paintings are fantastic as always.
I hope you feel better soon.
Hugs Alexandra

Janny said...

Beautiful pages! I am sorry that you are not feeling well and there was so much you had to cancel. Take care now!

Femmy said...

so sorry to hear you weren't feeling well! hope all is better now!
just love this painting!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Dear Marilyn, I thought for sure you were bouncing Sophia on your lap on Sunday. I'm so sorry to hear you have been sick. Bugs bite! Literally and figuratively.

Your lovely journal pages amaze me. I love them both. The really exciting thing for me is, I think I have some of those Conte crayons. I really like the bird over the eye. It's details like that which set your art above and beyond.

Yvonne said...

Fabulous journal pages, Marilyn!

Hope you're back to par really soon!

Createology said...

Marilyn do get well right away. Nurture yourself and feel better. All the other stuff will sort itself out. I look forward to your future post about nurturing. Tea and honey for you my dear.

~*~Patty S said...

Dear M ~ thank you for this lovely and real post! I believe you have embraced the unexpected with the very best of attitudes. Anytime is a lovely time to celebrate being a mother and grandmother and I know you do celebrate with gratitude and joy daily! Hope you get to lunch about it too :)
Your journal pages are SO powerful, even before I "read" what you wrote on the faces, it struck me as so revealing and at a loss for words to express how they touched me!
You remind me what a special place this land of blog is ... I am most grateful that you share your creativity and more with us!
Feel all better soon!
oxo

Dianne said...

I hope you are feeling better. Your journal pages are very cool...

Diane said...

I'm so sorry that you weren't feeling well, Marilyn. I think we get sick sometimes, so we can appreciate the things that we normally take for granted. I'm going to have to try the Conte crayons--this was my brother's favorite medium to use. Feel better!

Jill Zaheer said...

What a heartfelt post and so sorry you had to cancel your planned activities. I always try to think of things like this as a wake up call to "slow down". Although you were feeling horrible, look at it as a very special gift. It's the ability to see things a little differently, a little slower, with more time to think. Know how you ask where does all the time go in your journal page? Well, it goes so fast because we all seem to be in perpetual motion.
Your journal pages with their expressive words are wonderful. Thanks for sharing them- even at a time when you're not feeling your best!

Peggy Beck said...

Marilyn I love your journal pages but am sorry you were sick. It is a good time to slow down, but even then we tend to wish we could do something. I hope you get yourself up and at-em soon. Love ya.

Debby said...

Both of your journal pages are fabulous. I am sorry to hear you aren't feeling well, hope you are much better today. Happy Mother's Day to you.
Debby

Lynne said...

Love your journal pages Marilyn!! Both are gorgeous!! So sorry to hear that you've been sick, so glad that you are on your way to recovery!! You are so righwhen you say our bodies have a way of letting us know when it's time to slow down!! Whether we like it or not!! LOL

johanna said...

love your journal pages!
and hope you are back to recovery soon... we can´t help getting such struck-downs, we must be grateful if it is something that can be cured. and it always comes at the wrong time! maybe it´s a body - stress thing... the body cries "stop - slow down"...

Gaby Bee said...

Both journal pages are amazing, Marilyn!
I'm so sorry to hear you were sick all weekend and that you had to cancel all your plans.
I hope you are feeling much better today!
Sending big hugs across the miles,
Gaby

Lisa said...

I love these journal pages! They are captivating! Sorry you have been down with a bug. Those nasty things can ruin several days!

Marlynn said...

Your pages are beyond outstanding! Sorry you were ill but so happy you are making a comeback. Take care and remember, if you want to whine, you go right ahead. We are hear to listen!