






I'm back! It's good to be back blogging and good to be home. I've missed you all!
I wanted my first Blog post, after my two-week hiatus, to address my attendance,this past weekend, at the art retreat I had the opportunity to be part of with my very dear friend Peggy Beck. We arrived Friday and came home today just before Noon.
The art retreat was held at the Wiawaka Holiday House.
It is located on Lake George, New York and as soon as Peggy and I got there, instant relaxation set in. What a beautiful atmosphere, the weather cleared and the air was refreshing with a constant breeze coming off the lake - pure comfort surrounded by nature at its best!
If you check out the Wiawaka website, (highlighted above) it will give you a little history of the place and it's actually a nonprofit retreat center for women. I'm sharing some pictures with you, here, and there will be more to come but thought these would give you an idea of the beginning of our weekend.
The Wiawaka sign - I just love it; the great spirit of women! How true right? :)
The sign is down at the dock on the boat house and you will also see a picture of some women on the dock and they were a spinning group that was there. There were 26 of them! They booked a whole cottage, for their group, and spent the whole weekend spinning their gorgeous yarns and roving - awesome to see! Wiawaka guests come from all over!
The picture of the larger Victorian house is the main house where we check in and meals are served. It's very much like communal living there. The smaller cottage is the Rose Cottage where Peggy and I stayed; we shared a room at the top there. The rooms are quaint and tastefully decorated and very comfortable. Peggy and I became "professional porchers"! More on that later :) We got three meals, a day with our stay, and each and every meal was wonderful with fresh veggies and herbs from the gardens on the grounds. I will address more on this in another post in near future.
The picture of the cabin, there, right smack on the lake is called the House of Trix and that is where the art classes are held. Peggy and I took a Felting Class and we created our own fabric with wet roving and adding wonderful fibers, silks, and ribbons. The sample of what I did with mine is shared, here; the colorful piece with the streamers on it. I'm going to use my piece as a journal cover and intend to needle felt some flowers on the piece, too. I've got it all planned out in my head. But the class was so therapeutic; our hands dipped in warm water with olive-oil soap and "massaging" the felt and fibers - just so relaxing and the lake waves hitting the dock right outside the classroom door. It doesn't get any better than that :)
The last picture is of a fabric bag that I won at a silent auction that was being held on the grounds and the spinners contributed beautiful roving and yarns, handmade jewelry. I instantly fell in love with this little bag and I won the auction! The bag holds some beautiful yarn, too! I even got to meet the artist as she was one of the spinners and we made a very wonderful connection with one another!
I will be sharing more pictures, towards the end of the week, to share with you from this fantastic weekend. I just wanted to give you a feel of the atmosphere there and I will definitely be going back.
I'm seriously thinking on organizing a small group to go up there next summer and I would conduct a class there - I think it would be a blast!!!!! Peggy and I talked about that and are very excited about even the thought of it!
Well; I've kept you all long enough, here, and wanted to share my weekend with you here. It's been a very busy past two weeks, for me, and this week looks to be same.
I hope you and yours are all well and I will be catching up with your Blogs during this week. I know I've missed so much and can't wait to see what everyone has been up to.
Much love - Marilyn xxoo
33 comments:
We missed you Marilyn. What a glorious place and your felting - so pretty - what a wonderful way to spend a weekend, with a friend and having such fun. Thanks for sharing. xox Corrine
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad you are back. What a wonderful tale you have spun for us this weekend. Felting and fun, friendship, and a silent auction. What a super post. You have been missed so much. Please don't leave us so long again. That felting that you are going to use for a book cover is simply stunning, too.
Oh Marilyn I am so glad you are back...it's just not the same here without you...I have missed you....
I can't believe that you were at Lake George....My son in law is from Glens Falls which is very near Lake George and my daughter and the kids were up there just last week and went to the lake...small world......
It sound like you had a wonderful retreat and please if you have one next summer, put me on the list....I would love to go.......
I love your needle felting....and boy do I wish I could have been spinning with that group....I have just been at the wheel this afternoon...
Anyway, so glad you are back and can't wait to hear more.....
Hugs
Sounds like you had a great time at the retreat and experimented with some fun new art projects. Felting is wonderfully relaxing and creative. Summer camp with all of the fixin's - I love it!
welcome back Marilyn! sounds like you had a lovely time on your vacation. hugs!
Welcome home - it looks like you had an awesome time! It looks lke a wonderful place to create in... and your felting piece is so colorful and full of lovely texture. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it! Glad to have you back blogging with us - missed you! xo Deb
Hi Marilyn, thank you for sharing your experience. I would love to hear more!
Welcome back Marilyn!! We missed you too. I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time!
It sounds like you and Peggy had a great and relaxing time! Looks like fun. I just LOVE your felting! I haven't done wet felting, just the needle felting. Hard to believe that I first taught you that! You do it SO beautifully now! This will make a gorgeous book cover.
I also like the bag you got. Very pretty! I see why you were after it. :)
This seems like such a magical and special artful place! Hurray for you and Peggy and the fun you had! :0) And you won a slient auction too, wheeeeee! How special!
Glad you are back Marilyn!
xoxoxoxo
Hugs,Patti
You must feel as if you have died and gone to heaven!!! Lake George will be on my list to do in the future...so lovely! Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart
Welcome back, dear Marilyn! I´ve missed you too!
Your vacation place is so charming!
I`m happy for you that you had a great time there.
Your felting creations are so stunning!
great to have you back:) you obviously had a wonderful time! and i also love felting.
So glad you're back,missed you. This sounds so relaxing and so much fun. Those houses look just beautiful,I would love to sit on the porch with some ice tea.Love the bag you won and your felting. The felting sounds relaxing too.
Oh I feel relaxed and enriched just reading about your special getaway ... looks like you all had a fantastic time!
SO glad you're back in blogland
missed ya!
oxo
Welcome home, Marilyn! So good to have you back - you've been missed! What a wonderful time you've had at your retreat. So many wonderful friends and memories too! Hugs, Terri xoxo
sounds like it was loads of fun! I am just down the road!
Marilyn we missed you :) ... and your new banner is a dream I love this picture. Have a nice day. Hugs Alexandra
It is so great to have you back with us Marilyn. I think your retreat sounds heavenly and I look forward to seeing all that you experienced. Happy creating...
Welcome back, I missed you too!Thank you for sharing your photos and story.
Hugs Anja
It is funny just how small this big ole world is. Back (waaaaaay back) when i was in college I worked at Wiawaka one summer as a cook! It was a memorable summer to say the least. I am glad you enjoyed your time there.
Oh it looks like a wonderful, relaxing place! So glad you enjoyed it - and of course, welcome back!
What an awesome place to go for a workshop. The old house has so much character. Your felt project is gorgeous! Can't wait to see your journal cover.
hugs
What a fantastic getaway for you and Peggy. It sounds divine...beautiful setting, lovely food and surrounded by friendly, artistic women...bliss.
Thanks for sharing with us all and I love your felt piece. Will make a great journal cover!
Jacky xox
Nice to have you back Marilyn and I love your blog header - it's ab-sti-tutely breathtaking....
Thank you for visiting me today. I had such a nice time reading your post and just loved the photos. What a beautiful place!
Delighted your back so dear to me Marilyn.
What a truly incrediable experience,what memories you created.
I love your posting so much, so special.
The felting is so cool and beautiful. I missed you and what rewards our art shares.
Feels like you were away longer,best wishes.
Hugs and Love Laura.xoxx
Marilyn
what a gorgeous time you had! Lake George looks heavenly! I also love all the beautiful pieces you shared with us! lovely! Glad to have you back!
This looks and sounds like pure paradise Marilyn! Glad it was good for you and looking forward to seeing and hearing more of it!
You felt piece is looking gorgeous!!
glad you're back!! Sounds you had a great time.
your felting project is fantastic!!
What a memorable experience- to be in such a gorgeous setting- with the landscape and lush surroundings- and wonderful women in such a creative and fulfilling environment. what a gift! I can feel the fibers of your materials! How amazing. Welcome home- to the start of new and creative projects! Your new banner is breathtaking! Thanks for all of your soulful support - I appreciate you so much!
This place looks fabululous!! WHat a great gathering place. I must go and visit the website!!! Thank you so much for sharing ! your felting is glorious and I can tell that you ahd a marvelous time!!!
Post a Comment