

I spent part of my day, yesterday, carving some more stamps. This time I used linoleum blocks with my own hand-drawn images. I found the linoleum blocks to be more challenging particularly with the detail of faces.
My first attempt, my left and right sides of my brain were not in balance :) I was not thinking about a reverse image and the heart and words I AM, of course, are backwards. But; I ended up liking it in an artsy way but it definitely was a learning curve or "carve" as I like to say.
The other carving is my second attempt with the linoleum and my own image and I was more conscious of how the stamp was going to turn out. Carving around eyes and fine details - tough. I think the images come out a little "spooky" but I like the effect. These will be great for my journaling activities.
Stamping with them is a bit challenging. I actually mounted the stamps onto a mounting block with double-stick tape. I found Staz On ink works best for me. I definitely need a base "cushion" to stamp on and I used one of those foam/rubber garden helpers; the ones that are supposed to protect our knees when weeding. Well; you can tell the cushion is being used as an art supply here - my garden reflects it :)
As far as the paper to use for stamping, I would highly recommend using hot-press watercolor paper to stamp on or a fine, smooth cardstock - any textural surface does not bode well for these stamps. I actually tried one on vellum and it came out beautifully.
I am very aware of today's date; September 11th and have and am reflecting on the anniversary date of the attack on the twin towers. My prayers go out to victims' and their loved ones. While visiting Blogs, this morning, there are many beautiful and moving tributes out there. I can remember, so clearly, what I was doing the day of the attack. My husband and I were watching the Today Show and the breaking news occurred. I felt like I had an out-of-body experience watching it!
May your weekend be filled with peace, joy, moments of reflection and thank you all for being a very special presence in my life!
Love and peace - Marilyn xxoo
29 comments:
very clever Marilyn! I like your reverse "I am" definitely artsy LOL (happy accident??) I think lots of us all remember what we were doing on 9/11. It's certainly remembered here in the UK
I love your stamps,can't wait to see them on your journal pages. They look like they would be hard,all the details.
I remember what I was doing on 9/11 like it was yesterday. Its so weird how I can remember that day so clearly but sometimes I can't remember what I did yesterday. I think everybody remembers that day.
instead of using them to stamp with, you could use them as a print and lay your paper on top and brayer the paper...
I love your images and linoleum carving is tough, I think you did a great job!!
and I send you peace this weekend too!! xox
I really like your stamps. I have carved a few--figuring out which is the positive and negative is very hard I think!
Your stamps are just fabulous you have outdone yourself! I LOVE IT!
I love your stamps, soon you'll be selling handmade stamps :)
Marilyn, You would never know these were carved by hand....You did a great job..I know you will find many ways to use them.....
I would think it would be tricky to have to reverse the image......
Have a fun Saturday....
I heard (or maybe read) that linoleum carving is much harder than than rubber because it is a harder, more dense material to cut through. You are such a great artist and you did a fantastic job with your learning carve (which in itself is humorous). I have never seen lino material, so hope to find some one of these days. Several people I know are making stamps from lino, so of course, it has my interest piqued.
Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog post today. It was so sweet of you.
Wow what for great stamps.
Absolutely perfect. I´m so curios to see in your journal.
I think these are beautiful Marilyn! So much character and personality.
Great stamps, carving is not so easy and these are wonderful beginnings. I too have been thinking of 9/11 and it was the first thing that came to my head
when I awoke...We visited ground zero to pay our respects a few years ago and the feeling there is palpable. xox Corrine
Hi Marilyn, these are really fabulous.
Debby
Both of your carvings are fantastic Marilyn = wonderful results I'd say!
I've not tried linoleum ....
To those that lost loved ones, this day is surely a little harder than every other day without the special people in their lives.
Sadly we will always remember where we were on that fateful day, won't we, still feels surreal at times.
Brightest of Blessings to you and yours
oxo
I love seeing you do this!!! How fabulous!!
Miss Marilyn
your stamps are fantastic! I can also remember 9/11 like it was yesterday...I was supposed to start my new job at the High School but they didn't have my class assistant schedule...went home and there it all was on tv. :(
WOW WOW WOW!!! i´m soooo impressed!
and linoleum is really quite challenging, i prefer the white eraser blocks - cutting and printing is so much easier.
i´m looking forward to see these in your artwork...
I've never used lineoleum to carve. I prefer the "pink stuff" by Staedtler. It's much softer, but still allows you to carve fine details. and because it's soft, it has some give when stamping it. These are great. the detail are super.
I enjoyed my vist again, so much beautiful work;O)
love your stamps Marilyn!!
These came out ssssssssssuper Marilyn! I love them!!!!!!Hugs,Patti
Great job Miss Marilyn. Your stamps are wonderful and very personal. Happy stamping and journaling...
beautiful handmade stamps Marilyn!love it!
Sanja xox
Marilyn you never stop amazing me.
Wow what a truly clever artist you are. Your stamps are rocking...
Love you lots,Big Squeeze Hugs Laura. xoxxo
P.S. I order all the zentangle books,yippy..LOL
SHHHH no one would have noticed the letters backward.....I did love printmaking took a few classes but couldnt afford a press so I use the kitchen floor.
OH Fabulous stamps/prints!!!!
These are stunning! Beautifully done!
Enjoy your day!
Gaby xo
You're always reaching new heights with your art work, Marilyn -- you're an inspiration to me, someone who can shake me out of my periodic ruts and onto new adventures. These stamps are wonderful!
Diane
You are so inclined to do it all and you do it all well. Love your stamps and can see ways to use them. You must have a lot of patience though. I can't imagine doing this. Good job Marilyn
Really like your carvings...this is next on my "learn to do" list. I actually have the tools out on my table since being inspired by your last post. I will take the baby step of using rubber block first :) Thanks for inspiring me as always! Nan
Post a Comment