Sunday, October 3, 2010

My "Mask"

This is a photo of my journal exercise from our new lesson from Pam Carriker's Journal 365 online workshop (see sidebar button). I loved the technique Pam shared.

I found this lesson very thought-provoking as it really got me to thinking about what my "mask" is.

What I consider to be my mask, is keeping the positive attitude going; ya know - the smiling face, wishing upon that brightest star, looking at the glass as always half full.

I give it a good go but it doesn't always work :) Life happens and we're always thrown some curves, the ups and downs, the daily challenges, etc. I try to smile through these things, and keep positive, but it's not always easy is it?

What is your mask? I'd love to know with your comments here. No pressure just thought it's fun to think about.

Hope you're all having a great weekend; our weather has shifted to sunny, cool and bright! Now; that's positive. Thursday and Friday we were pummeled with torrential rains for two days. Hubby and I spent lots of time suckin' up water from our basement. We were luckier than a lot of people and things are drying out nicely now.

Thinking happy thoughts for all of you!

Love, Marilyn xxoo

22 comments:

Sandy said...

UNBELIEVABLE !!!
This is absolutely great. I love them.

Dianne said...

Love your mask!

marilyn said...

Love the artwork today. Very thought provoking. I like to be optomistic and see the silver lining in everything...but it's not always easy! Thanks for the great idea for a page in my art journal!!

Terri Kahrs said...

Beautiful journal page, Marilyn; and quite a thought provoking post too! Hmmm . . . . I need to give my answer a little thought! Glad to hear that you survived the storm with minimal damage. Hugs, Terri xoxoxo

PS I hope there wasn't too much water to be sucked out of that basement!!!

sharon said...

This is so different from what I am used to seeing from you Marilyn, and I love it, I am drawn to the elements and colors! Fantastic!

As for masks, how much time do you have?!

Patti G. said...

Marilyn, this is so funky and fun and I LOVE the mask reveal....the meaning behind it and my faorite part is the beautiful fact that JOY is always on your LIPS and that is where you put that word!
The colors and shading in this piece are terrific too! Just love it!
Hugs,Patti

Anonymous said...

Great painting, unusual for you but most delicious. Sorry about the wet basement, been there before.
Oh the mask of pretending you can wear 12 hats when you feel overwhelmed and somehow get it done anyway. Juggling that hats, that would have to be my
mask...xox Corrine

Debbie said...

Great journal page, I especially like the mask! I'll have to think a little about my own mask...I sounds like you are really enjoying the class!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

First, I love the journal pages. They are great examples of a "mask."

Right now, my mask is one that tries to make art when the inspiration, talent, and spirit just aren't there. Unfortunately, I've never been good at faking anything. I'm what many of my friends call "brutally honest," so I have to be pretty hard up to hide behind a mask of any kind. However, you are right, Marilyn. We all put those masks on once in awhile.

Speaking of sucking, I have been really fortunate this year that we have had such dry weather. Not good for the flowers, but excellent for my basement. I hope yours is drying well. I know how devastating (and tiring) that chore can be. Glad you are returning to more normal days and a drier basement.

Yvonne said...

I love this piece, Marilyn! I must check out that on-line class :)

Jacky said...

Very thought provoking post...my mask...do I really want to go there.

I think it is much the same as yours - always putting on the happy brave front, trying to be positive and create a positive energy around myself.

Thanks for sharing,

Jacky xox

Alexandra said...

Marilyn your "Mask" is fantastic. I wish you a wonderful day without water. Hugs Alexandra

Femmy said...

beautiful Marylin!!!

Cathy Bueti said...

marilyn this is great! Very cool piece! :)

Diane said...

Marilyn!--Awesome!! And your mask is my mask--this is exactly how I am. I hate grumpy people, and this is why I try to have a positive outlook with others--it really does spread!

Buffy said...

Love your page,love how you have everything on it that you described about yourself(like the glass,etc). At least you have a good mask. Being positive is a good thing. I think sometimes I need a mask,because I'm one that always wears their heart on my sleeve.

Martina said...

Excellent and brilliant piece, Marilyn!

Rhonda said...

This is Fabulous, Marilyn! I can see Pam's influence but your page is so expressive and unique, very cool! Makes us all think, we all wear masks at times but sometimes it to protect our inner selves. Thanks for sharing - Cheers!

Laura Haviland said...

Talented Marilyn,
I love your "My Mask" art creation, so very awesome....
I love your posting,that is such a strong truth about putting on your mask. We all do it and are good at hiding behind the mask.
I would have to say for me,sometimes not feeling a lot confidence in life. I try to act full of strength but their are times. So I struggle with this a lot, I think we all have insecurities,keeps us challenging ourselves to try to be the best person we can.
Really interesting post and love how positive you always are.
Your such an ispiration to me..
Love ya,Hugs Laura. xoxx

Createology said...

Hi Marilyn. Talk about thought-provoking...I shall be thinking long and hard of what my "mask" is in life. Your journal page is wonderful and I am loving how you have put yourself out there so honestly. Trials are a big part of life and I think they continue for all of life. Happy week to you...

johanna said...

i love this journal page very much!
oh, the mask thing... thought provoking... should take time to dig into the subject...

.Trudi Sissons said...

That's a wonderful idea - beautiful work!