Saturday, November 27, 2010

Journal/Portrait work..........................





















I was watching some college football with my husband, last night, and decided to get my journal out and do a little sketching. It lead to this portrait. I used the Conte crayons and, by the way, I am in love with them! They are so forgiving, great for travel, and I feel the application is so much more smoother than charcoal.

I didn't have a model for this portrait; kind of winged it and her expression ended up, to me, looking a bit contemplative. I wrote around her face with:

"What is this life I give to art?" It really got me to thinking about my art life. I feel, at this point, like it's one of my family members or a really good friend. Is that crazy? But; it's one of my "joy spots" as is being with my family and friends.

I decided to play around with the portrait in Photo Shop and I really enjoy doing this. It kind of can hide the spots that bother me :) Oh; the inner critic - will it ever leave me?

Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving with your loved ones. Did any of you venture out on Black Friday? Have a great rest of your weekend!

Much love - Marilyn xxoo

21 comments:

johanna said...

awesome artwork and great effect with photoshop! have a wonderful rest of the weekend with your beloved ones!!

Dianne said...

She's beautiful... to me, her face reflects inner strength...

Numinosity said...

She does have a captivating expression. I'm impressed that you could sketch this out during a football game.

We were on the road and managed to stay away from the stores except for a Trader Joe's foray since I've missed it so much this last 7 months.

Just trying to settle in the new studio now and happy to have high speed internet again.
xoxo Kim

Terri said...

~she turned out great!

i love to sketch sitting next to my husband while watching television. although i sometimes get so absorbed, he'll turn to me and say, "hello! i'm bob, another person in the room!"

i'll have to check out the product you mentioned.
~always love a good recommendation.

blessings,
Terri

Patti G. said...

This is an absolute delight Marilyn,I love the colors and her whole look. You are unbelievable!!!
Hugs,Patti
P.S. Art is like a good friend, it comforts, allows expression, stays quiet when you need quiet...I totally get it!

~*~Patty S said...

Your daisy lady really speaks to me M...something striking about it with no color AND unaltered ;)

The Friday after Thanksgiving is the last day you would find me out shopping...well unless I went to an antique store...not a big mall fan at all!

Happy Weekend to you!
oxo

Effy Wild said...

This portrait is beautiful. I am absolutely in love with the look on her face. It reminds me of those nights I have insomnia and I'm up late thinking thinky thoughts.

Sandy said...

Wow what for brilliant artwork and amazing eddect with photoshop.
This is wonderful. I love it.

Have a lovely sunday my friend.

Nancy said...

I love to sit with my husband watchng either a ballgame or movie and doodle with my pitt pens or colored pencils or knit.....so I can identify......I think art (whatever form we are using) does become like a very good friend.....I know I have to do something everyday or I feel kinda lost......like something is missing...also it's very relaxing for me...my escape zone.....

I didn't shop yesterday, I went with my hubby and two oldest grandchildren (6 and 31/2) to a college football game...WE had a lot of fun......more fun than shopping....

Have a great weekend, Marilyn.....

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

First, I hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful. Second, I love both images. What a joy to be able to digitally play around with your own art. Awesome, just like YOU!!

Don't ever let the inner critic take over. You are way, way, way too good for that.

Femmy said...

great artwork Marilyn!!
Have a great weekend.

Patti Sandham said...

Love your portrait. Both versions are wonderful. I also love your Thanksgiving piece too. I like the red wing but if it was me I would soften it by antiquing it with Umber or gold or both. Then it would blend with the feel you have going with the rest of the piece, which is great. I love the corrugated dress and all the textural components.

Happy thanksgiving

Anonymous said...

Great face, and so graphic with the conte crayons. Banish that inner critic Marilyn, your work brings us all joy. Groceries on black Friday, but I don't think that counts. xox Corrine

Jacky said...

I recently got some conte pastels/crayons too. I just love them too.

Nice to have some portable art supplies and "play" in front of the TV.

She is beautiful, and I feel the contemplative look is appropriate as she ponders your words.

Jacky xox

Createology said...

Wonderful Marilyn. Amazing that you can create beautiful art in unplanned space and time. Holly Jolly to you...

sharon said...

This is a fantastic portrait Marilyn, I love the absence of color, and the addition of the words are so beautiful!

Buffy said...

Beautiful and so expressive.Love what you did on photoshop too. I never tried those conte crayons. I bought them but never used them. Hope you had a nice thanksgiving. And no I didnt go shopping on black friday,too crazy.

Diane said...

I just love how your art is evolving Marilyn. And I know what you mean about art being your friend--it ALWAYS puts me in a better mood!

Cathy Bueti said...

Marilyn these are amazing! Wow! Beautiful! Thanks for your nice comment on my post! :)

Peggy Beck said...

What are you doing posting at 4:32 am? Just kidding. I love this exercise Marilyn and I understand that "joy" spot you mention. You certainly can tell a story with your art and do a great job every time.

Katie said...

What a great portrait! I love your latest one too. And the Xmas angel. Wow, you are just cranking out amazing stuff!!