Saturday, February 5, 2011

"Earning My Wings"




















This 8 x 8 page was an exercise in some background work scraping acrylic paints around the paper, using stencils, building up layers, adding one of our own images.

Once I complete a background, I love moving the page around to look for things that I might see before adding my image.

I actually saw a body shape forming next to the wing there (that is a stencil). Misty taught us some really cool ways to use stencils! I reduced one of my face images and this all turned out to be an angel of sorts. After I painted the face, her "ghostly" expression made me think she was wondering if she really earned her wings? Hmmmmmm.

Someone suggested this would make a funky, non-traditional Valentine card. Well now; I'll have to give that some thought :)

I am wishing everyone a good weekend and hope your weather has quieted down. We've actually had a couple of really nice days after the latest storm.

Warm thoughts of all, be safe and have a great weekend!

Peace and love.......................Marilyn xxoo


21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your pages are so fab Marilyn, each one is amazing with texture and meaning. Love what you are doing. Nice days, yes, but more snow today for us I think. xox corrine

Femmy said...

fab page Marilyn! great background!

Buffy said...

Another beautiful page. Love it.

sharon said...

I adore that heart on her, and that rasberyish color as accents, combined with the grayish white, the image....perfect!

Yvonne said...

Love this, Marilyn! So much to see :)

Peggy Beck said...

I think we all earn our wings down here Marilyn and this "angel" is just wondering who to help next. I pray it's ME!! You are a wonderful collage artist. Love

Cathy Bueti said...

Hi Marilyn! Thanks for your nice comment! I love this one too! So beautiful! And I agree . . . it would make a cool valentines card! :)

Miek said...

Love this one too. great acrylic background en stencelling.
Have a nice day Miek

johanna said...

wonderful in every way... always such a pleasure to visit your blog!

Createology said...

She is lovely Marilyn. You must be having such a wonderful time with paints and creating these 8x8 pages. Years and years ago my mother, before she passed on, told me I had earned my wings when she learned of some volunteer work I was doing. It always makes me smile just to think of those words. Happy February Hearts to you my dear friend...

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I am so, so, so in love with this background. Yes, I love your angel, but the background is what pushed my artistic buttons today. And I can see that angel on a Valentine card. Sheer genius whoever suggested it.

Janny said...

Beautiful piece, great background!

Sanja said...

Absolutely amazing page Marilyn.
Love your at .
Big hugs
Sanja xox

Diane said...

GREAT background--great things you're learning from Misty!

Nancy said...

You sure are having fun with this class, aren't you..amazing results......These 8 x 8 could all be a book to themselves.......

I hope you have a wonderful and creative week ahead of you.....

Hugs

~*~Patty S said...

another amazing painting M!
the details and colors blow me away!
you are definitely on a roll and have earned those gorgeous wings!
oxo

Sugar Lump Studios said...

Marilyn
it's been too long since I came to visit your beautiful blog and art. I love this wonderful page...you always make the most beautiful color combinations!

Sandy said...

Wow wow wow wow wow I´ve missed my words. Your painting art is very impressive and unique. Lovely work.

Unknown said...

this is so very incredible!!!

ArtPropelled said...

I've been browsing back through all the pieces you've done in Misty's class. Beautiful work, Marilyn! I'm looking forward to Misty's book when it arrives in S.Africa

Martina said...

Wow, what a fantastic painting, Marilyn!
Unbelievable texture and background.