
I worked on this 8 x 8, this morning, and must have re-worked the background, at least, 5 times so there are many layers here. I had transferred some calligraphy from an ink jet printout to begin with but it's now hidden under the many layers :) The trees are transferred from a photo I have here in my stash.
I'm beginning to become more comfortable with gel transfers since I've been using the soft gel-matte medium instead of the heavy gel. That may have been my problem from the beginning of my art journey :) But; it's all about discovery, learning, re-doing, letting go of the inner critic. Journaling has really allowed me to take leaps that I probably wouldn't have taken before. After all; journaling is just for us! We can create without judgments, deadlines and in our own time. There is much to be said for this.
I call this piece Threads of Life because I really love trees and particularly the bare ones. I find the shapes of the branches, very artistic, reaching out, to us, and some of their tiny branches are thread-like to me. Trees are reminders of life and they offer us protection in many ways. One of my memories of childhood was sitting under a big, huge willow tree sipping a soda with my friend in the hot summers. We didn't have a thing called air conditioning and the trees offered us some cooling off time.
Thank you all for your supportive comments on my 8 x 8 pages. My journal is getting thicker and I made a cover for it a couple of weeks ago which I'll share soon.
Hope you all are having a good beginning to your week. I began my week with Monday and Tuesday time with Sophia! She is so, very close to walking now; standing up on her own when she's not even realizing it and I love the expression on her face when she realizes she balancing up all by herself; a proud smile comes over her! And - Grandma, too :)
Warm thoughts for all of you........................Love much, Marilyn xxoo
28 comments:
Beautiful!! Found your blog while checking out others in the One World One Heart event. Your art is lovely and I'm looking forward to seeing more of it.
The threads of Life is beautiful..
Your post, I am the same way about trees..
Also love your header.
Katelen
gorgeous Marilyn!
this is simply beautiful! great job!
This is wonderful! I love willow trees myself. "Threads of life" is beautiful!
Wow this is beautiful. and you know me by now I love trees . But this work is really so cool!
Have a lovely day Miek
I love this piece. And I understand the re-working. I have many layers beneath layers as well... a metaphor for life!
Oh wow Marilyn, I love this.....xox Corrine
Beautiful page and of course I love the trees!! Thank you for the inspiration.
Great post Marilyn and I love your painting!
Marilyn, I love what you have been doing with your 8 X 8.....the colors, the textures.....so beautiful......
I too am a tree lover and I am especially drawn to this one because of the wonderful trees......
Hugs
Oh Marilyn, the page is stunning. I don't have too much luck with my gel transfers but will try it again. See, there you go again, you inspiration! Hugs
How beautiful Marilyn! I love coming to your blog to see what you are creating! xoxo
It's beautiful... I love the textures and muted colors... Just lovely...
Marilyn, I am blown away by this...it is sooo beautiful! I really really love it, just gorgeous!
I love your thoughts on the trees, I always think of trees that way too, they are so significant.
Hugs!
wow, your latest entries are wonderful. I too LOVE trees and like to use them in my work also. Your layering is fabulissimo!!
Marilyn I LOVE this piece!!! Wow! Love the background and the soft palette you used! I have not had luck with image transfers. Any good tutorials you could recommend?
You and I are on the same wavelength--this is exactly what I blogged about today--the freedom in your journal and also the many layers. Aren't you so happy with your outcome? And it seems the only way is to go through all of the layers first--love this.
Sophia is going to be all over the house pretty soon :)
Marilyn this is so beautiful...I lose those winter trees and your wonderful background. The layers add so much depth!
I think this is my new favourite!!!
Jacky xox
Oh I love it, love the soft colors with the turquoise shine and the texture.It's an amazing piece, i'm impressed.
Have a nice weekend.
Hugs Anja
Marilyn this is so peaceful and I love the story you have told. There is something magical about trees with no leaves in winter...sort of like a glimpse of what is to come through those branches. Loving your 8x8 pages. Happy Warm Hearts to you...
So so beautiful again. Wonderful painting art. I love them.
Have a lovely weekend my dear friend.
Just beautiful!
How beautiful, peaceful, calm. I love the colors and all of it.
This piece leaves me breathless, Marilyn -- it's always such a great learning experience for me when you share the fact that you reworked a piece several times before you became happy with it. You're teaching me patience with my own work -- thank you!
Diane
Gorgeous work!!!
This is one masterful piece, Marilyn. It's always good when you figure out the best way to make a certain technique work for you. I couldn't agree more that the soft gel is probably better.
On a personal note, I'm glad to read about Sophia learning to walk. It's always good when you share her progress. She's growing up right here on your blog. In a blink of an eye, she'll be dating and we will ask where time has gone!
such a joy to visit and see how creative you continue to be M
just brilliant
and congrats on being published again!
so well deserved!
oxo
Post a Comment