
The background, for this 8x8 page, was one I created quite awhile ago and it was either going to be a nautical piece or also reminded me of gears which led me to the thought of gears going around in our heads. You know right? When we've got so much spinning around in our minds, our heads and hearts start to feel full and we end up on "overload".
I expressed this with a masculine touch which I very rarely do.
I found the image of this man in an old magazine and transferred it onto this background. It was just of his arm and head resting there. I created the rest of his body with vintage ledger paper and some sketching.
This man's expression and body language appeared, to me anyway, that he was lost in thoughts; the gears were going around and around in his head - perhaps worry of a failing company or over his head in debt. He spends his days and nights thinking of letters and numbers - trying to juggle so many things.
Isn't it funny how our art leads us to tell stories and all it takes is an image, words, or whatever we see that triggers this within and then we can express it on canvas or in a journal.
I know I feel over loaded, at times, it can be overwhelming. We all have stuff to deal with and if it wasn't for my ability to express some of these feelings with my art, I don't know what would happen. My head would probably explode! My art does help to clear things out - distract me from the gears working overtime.
How about you?
I also want to thank all who commented and responded to the art samples from the spackle workshop that Kerri and I are offering on the 13th. We have 13 students, so far, and the deadline hasn't passed! We are very excited!
Hope everyone is having a good week. Our temps, here, have improved and there has been some gradual melting of the snow. We still have so much more to go and there will be flooding concerns soon.
Oh no!!!! More gears to turn!
Love and peace to all of you! Marilyn xxoo
26 comments:
oh my gosh marilyn..this is fantastic!!
Love it! Okay, so I have some questions for you. Is it on a canvas or something else? did you use watercolors or acrylic? I love the flow of the background so am really curious as to what you utilized for it.
I know what you mean about the gears of life. Even just playing with paints and what ever else is a release from the stress. Something about the creative process refreshes the soul.
Fantastic piece, Marilyn!
This is such an intriguing composition and you have captured the masculine mythology with the flowing colors and male images. I suspect this is completed with acrylics but I too am not sure. Imagine and Live in Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart
fabulous piece Marilyn!!
Wonderful piece Marilyn. Just love when all different components come together to end in such a creative and thoughtful artwork! You are so right about that overloaded feeling- and art does help process the painful free floating energy that the overload creates. We are so lucky to have found this outlet. Hope the gentleman in the picture got to find his "art" as well! Thanks for stopping by and leaving your kind comment! Have a great rest of the week!!
I absolutely love that piece, Marilyn!!! Such great colours, and it´s a real eye-catcher!
Ohhhh I like this one,very cool.
what an intensity of colors!! love it!
This beautiful piece really tells a wonderful story, Marilyn! BTW, I saw your piece in Somerset Studio - it's stunning!!! Hugs, Terri xoxo
Great work and post. I get so full, that it is stopping me. Good to see it can be different, so perhaps there is hope for me;o)
Overload, yes, head exploding, oh yes. Great piece, like your thinking here and like the masculine. xox Corrine
I love this page you have created. Yes, I can so relate to "overload" as it happens quite a bit to me and that is exactly the word I use to tell Mr. C not to give me any more tasks! :o) Your page could also qualify for steampunk which is so popular. I love your use of the masculine on this page. Fabulous my dear...
I like the way you thought through with this piece and captured the thoughts and ideas of this man. It comes out just as you say. Very nice piece my friend.
Excellent Marilyn! I love the masculinity, and the steampunk theme....it's a bit different for you, but good different!
Stunning page Marilyn!
Hugs Alexandra
Another fabulous piece. I'm working on my first male painting right now too. Yours is just perfect.
An exceptionally beautiful and artistic creation, dear Marilyn! Really terrific!
I'm a turquoise fan and the color combination is really fantastic.
The whole piece is another perfect creation of your talented art works.
Have a nice weekend,
hugs Anja
beautiful work - and i think it must be the time of year that so many people feel like they have too much on their plates - or not enough time to enjoy life and have F U N !!
This background is awesome!! And then you've added a story to it--perfect! I wonder what he really was thinking?
P.S. I love Christy's class. I'm working on a piece right now. I love how she makes these canvases look like you've taken days to do, but it's like in one sitting--you get all of these textures and layers, and I like working along with her too!
Love this piece !!!
This piece speaks to me on so many levels M
Brilliant male energy going on and so much more...
It is always great to read what you write too
Imagining you high and dry...safe from any flooding
Take care my friend
oxo
Love this art, so vintage and beautiful!
Lovexx
Julie
Wow what a stunning piece of art. Absolutely brilliant.
Perfect in every way.
Have a lovely weekend dear Marilyn.
Wonderful rustic beauty here Marilyn- has a lovely vintage/steampunk expression as well. Handsome and inspiring art. Have a great weekend!
Post a Comment