Saturday, October 18, 2008

"Built"



The Albany Historical Foundation is offering a really neat auction project to the community that is called Built. The event is coming up on November 8th.

It's a call for art that has to include something that symbolizes the architecture of Albany.

Karen Schupack (owner of the Albany Art Room where I teach), and a friend of mine, asked me if I'd be interested in working on this project, with her, as a collaborative piece! I was thrilled!

Karen found this wonderful cabinet door at an Albany salvage store and I felt it was perfect for the substrate for our project. We prepped it by sanding it, gessoed, then coated with absorbent ground and got to work!

We took a lovely walk and took some pictures of some rowhouse fronts as we both are attracted to stairways and doorways, etc. We found the shot we liked the best, Karen took a picture of it to a friend of hers to enlarge it in black and white for us.

We cut out the doorway, left part of the bricks, stairs, cut out a window and began our design. We used acrylic paints, tissue paper, pumice gel, real flower petals, images and some wonderful hardware embellishments! Karen had a wonderful street map of Albany which was included and we decided on adding some beeswax as a final touch!

We just found out our project has been accepted into the event! The pieces that have been accepted will be juried and there are monetary awards that will be given.

The pieces are to be donated to the Foundation and will be auctioned off as a fundraiser for the Albany Historical Foundation as well as some community projects.

I really enjoyed working on this collaborative with Karen!

Thank you all for your well wishes and lovely comments. I wish you all a safe, happy, and artful weekend ahead.

Much love, Marilyn

16 comments:

Evidence of an Artistic Life said...

Thank you for the Saturday a.m. eye candy! What a great project-wonderful idea and it is executed so well. Really beautiful!!

Viola said...

Oh yes, wonderful work!!! Looks so fabulous! :o)

Femmy said...

what a beautiful project! thanks for sharing this!!!

DJ said...

Congrats for being accepted! Great work!

Heather Robinson said...

Wow, wow and wow! What a fabulous project and I am so enthralled by the way that you and your friend tackled it. It is so create and so utterly effective. Beautiful work in every way.

Kerri Jean said...

What an absolutely fabulous piece. I just want to walk inside that door!! ... and I love that it's painted on a door. just wonderful.

Laura said...

You had told me about this, but it's even better than I visualized!! Beautiful!

Gaby Bee said...

Congrats for beeing accepted, Marilyn! A really wonderful project. Once again you have done a wonderful job. Fabulous in every way.
I have been pretty busy and not blogging much lately. Glad to be able to drop by tonight.
Hugs and Love
Gaby

Sanja said...

fabulos projekt Marilyn!
xoxo

Melanie said...

oooo i like this a lot its beautiful

Kaz said...

that door is so inviting, this is just gorgeous artwork. love it.

Joy Logan said...

Marilyn love the piece you all came together over! I am a row/townhouse junkie myself,love the styles. So glad you are chosen for ths event and so deserving of it.

Jacky said...

This is fantastic Marilyn. I'm so pleased your collaborative work has been selected for the exhibition, it is gorgeous.

Well done!

Anonymous said...

Stunning Art work as always :) ,I thought it was a real building until I read the post properly.
hope you are having a good weekend love from sesga xxx

bockel24 said...

No wonder that it has been accepted, it´s wonderful!

Alexandra said...

Wonderful artwork. Looks fantastic.