
This is my portrait angel that I worked on today. I'm honestly happy with it!
I had a bit of an "art meltdown" over the weekend where I started a portrait painting, on Friday, from a drawing I did that I really liked. I made the mistake of not copying the picture. Instead, I decided to paint right on my original drawing. What a disaster! After layer, after layer of painting, I kept losing features and details - I had to throw "her" out on Sunday night. I was very frustrated. There was no getting her back.
On Monday I decided to take a break and not work on any art and I think it really helped.
This morning, I felt refreshed, went to my art table and decided to sketch out a drawing and turn the work into a mixed-media piece as this is what I really love to do. The face, I drew, looked peaceful and my muse carried me to turning her into an angel! I collaged her wings with newspaper, added touches of antique lace to her dress, and embellished with a little clay heart and a word believe that I had done with polyshrink.
I guess, as artists, we have to go through those times when we feel so frustrated and then the inner critic comes through. At that point, I know I have to stop, step back and start anew at the appropriate time instead of pushing myself. I get to my vulnerable point and almost feel beaten.
So; perhaps this mixed-media piece was meant to be "my angel" guiding me to a more peaceful place.
Thinking of you all; hoping you are all safe and well. Thank you for your supportive words, you leave here when you visit; as your comments, friendships, and inspiration give me the wings to want to keep flying!
Much love to all of you! -Marilyn
31 comments:
What an inspiritation, Marilyn, and your beautiful angel came out of your "disaster" before--she may never have happened. I always know there's a reason for everything.
I really like the portraits you're doing, and this angel is absolutely beautiful!
Well Girl it looks like your little break was your answer after all, She's just beautiful,love her skin tone and her dress with the lace and the background is gorgeous too. Very Beautiful!
Sometimes it really DOES help to take a break! And then when the Muse speaks, your heart is open and you create magic. Well, Marilyn, that's exactly what happened here. Your angel is gorgeous and born of your creative heart! Hugs, Terri xoxo
I think that she is wonderufl Marilyn!! We need to remember when we are taking classes that we need to listen to our own inner voices. taking a break was a very smart thing to do and the results are fabulous!!!
Snowy Hugs!
Elizabeth
Your little art break was really just a muse inspirtaion waiting to come out! This angel is just beautiful and I am soooooo tickled she came out just as you invisioned! WOnderful Marilyn!
Hugs,Patti
OMG what an inspiration. Your angel is so beautiful. Fantastic painting work. Love them.
Lovely angel, so graceful. I love your journal collage pages too.
Thanks for your comments.
Marilyn, She is beautiful! Yes, you did the right thing taking a break. Your 'Angel' is stunning.
WOW a magical angle,very impressive face, I'm excited!
Hugs Anja
She is sublime Marilyn- wow your work is so full of expression- love it!
oh I have done that too, and look what came from your disaster! wonderful!!
Marilyn she is as lovely as you. What a wonderful angel she will be for you. Always there to guide you in your artistic journey. Keep creating...
You are such an inspiration because you always look on the bright side of a situation. I love that you took your frustration and turned it into a piece that is truly beautiful and meaningful. Love the direction that you are taking with your artwork this year. Big hugs...
now this one is a miracle! she looks so dimensional, like one could touch her body! so in the end a good experience after all!
Oh Marilyn! Your angel is so beautiful in every detail, she glows! I would be over the moon to create something as lovely as that!
It amazes me sometimes how effortlessly some pieces go together and then there are others ... well you know!
Stepping away was a great tack with brilliant results!!!
oxo
Wow Marilyn! There is glow around her that is awesome, and the contrast of serene paint and texture really makes this so incredible! All I can say is that you are an incredible artist. You really made this your own with the mixed media...this is so gorgeous, and sooo you!
She is amazing! Soft and beautiful!!
hugs,chris
I've often said that the smallest things (and sometimes big ones) can dry up your creativity. When that happens with me, it can be weeks before I get it back. You have bounced back with a bang!
This angel really was your salvation. You might even say it is the piece where you defined yourself. The face is adorable and just perfect for the rest of the media. Way to ROCK!!
I can't believe how far you've come, your angel is just beautiful.
Marilyn, your angel is gorgeous!!! I love the colors you chose, & the texturing, they really add to the piece. I'm glad that you were able to take a break after the 'disaster'...I can relate to how you felt. And I am very glad that you didn't let that get you down!! You took the break you needed, and bounced back with a gorgeous portrait!! Love ya
this is my favorite portrait painting yet! great job!
She is beautiful. She was waiting for you when you took time out to rest your mind and your frusration.
I just can't stay away from your blog and watching your drawings develope. Awesome Marilyn.
she's really fantastic!! love the textured wings and the lace!! have a great weekend.
hugs femmy
Marilyn
your portraits are soooo gorgeous and I agree with the other posters...inspiration to each of us. I am sorry about your art meltdown...I hate when that happens...but I know that you will continue to make masterpieces to share with us! :) Happy Friday m'dear...today I will check on what the contractors completed yesterday and start packing more boxes! :)
Beautiful work! I don't think I have been to your blog before, beautiful.
debby
Your painting is just amazing, dear Marilyn. Great artwork!
Wish you a wonderful weekend.
What a great description of the creative process and how it works - or doesn't sometimes. I felt for you as I read this. I've been there. I often take a walk outside but any break helps. Beautiful portrait/angel. Great work!!
I love your angel! Wonderful painting!
Gorgeous painting Marilyn! This angel is adorable, love especially the textured wings and the lace! You are so clever. I admire your attention to detail and composition.
Post a Comment