Sunday, June 19, 2011

Loosening Up :)























I really enjoyed working on this spread in my journal. I haven't worked with alcohol inks in a very long time and decided to let go, loosen up and just do it! I even liked the blotches the inks created and love the drips with the blending solution. I incorporated some pan pastels here, which the jury is still out on. In time, playing more with them, will help me decide. They do need a fixative and that's where I run into difficulty as I seem to react to the spray fixatives. I did run a light coat of soft gel over the pastel treated areas, there was some "bleeding" but it ended up being okay. Pan pastels really aren't chalks as much as they appear to be but are actually paint pigments and the colors are so beautiful. I will keep at it, giving them a try until I'm comfortable with them.


Anyone have experience with the pan pastels? I'd love to read how you use them and how you seal them.

Hope you're all enjoying your weekend and are experiencing nice weather. Our weekend, here, has been beautiful with lots of sun and comfortable temps. Life is good!

Have a great week ahead, and I'll be back mid week or so. Thoughts of you will be with me!

Much love, Marilyn xxoo

16 comments:

Lynne Moncrieff said...

The drips really appeal to me.
When fixing pastels/charcoal I always use an inexpensive hairspray but maybe you would also react to that.
Wishes
Lynne

Anonymous said...

Marilyn, thank you so much for your lovely message. It's amazing how we all have such deep love for our hearts and art. We're growing and together. Especially here where we're all finding one another. Taking part, motion of emotions.
Your very beautiful, from the depth of your soul to the little toes on your feet. Everything you do brings joy.
Your art is so beautiful,love the heart! I've not used the pan pastels, I don't think I've seen them. The see through art as a special magic to it. Thank you Marilyn for sharing!
HUGS!
Julie

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I wish I could doodle like you. Your doodles are gorgeous, and once again, the heart is so inviting.

I haven't played with AIs for awhile, either. They usually require paper that I don't have, or metal, which I do have, but don't get out now that most of my metal supplies are still in storage.

I've only read about the Pan Pastels on Patty S's blog. I've never seen them and have no idea what they are. But I have loads of those mica based powders that also require a fixative, which is also a problem for me.

Have a great Father's Day and enjoy it with your hubby and Sophia.

Debbie said...

I really like the loose look to your pages. The colors are wonderful! I've used pan pastels, and love the rich color, but they do need to be sprayed which I sometimes ask my hubby to do!

sharon said...

The intensity of color is really striking and beautiful Marilyn! Love these pieces!

johanna said...

i love how your journal pages turned out! very beautiful!
i have bought pen pastels a while ago (recommended by teesha moore), but never used them so far. i never was aware they need a fixative... oh my, that means i will hesitate the more... or give it a try with a hairspray.

Anonymous said...

This spread is so soft and lush, like a lazy summer's day. You are having so much fun and it shows. xox Corrine

~*~Patty S said...

gorgeous colors on your pages M!

I use the Pan Pastels mostly for shading...haven't branched out from there...I am not a big fan of smelly sprays/fixatives either

we are getting some much needed gentle rain here in N VA

Happy new art week to you!
oxo

Terri Kahrs said...

Awesome pages, Marilyn! I adore Panpastels, and use them frequently. If you're allergic to a lot of fixatives, try using hairspray - it doesn't even have to be an expensive one (the cheaper the better). Spray lightly, let it dry, and then spray again. That should do the trick. It's an old art trick that I used in High School, but it still works like magic! Hugs, Terri xoxo

Nan said...

Really pretty. Love the effects you got. I keep ignoring my pan pastels just because they are new to me but maybe I'll have to try them on an imperfect :) index card!
Smiles, Nan

Createology said...

Your journal pages are testament to how much fun you are having playing with colors and hearts and everything wonderful. I sprayed some fixative in my studio and the very strong smell lasted days! Very bad idea!!! Wondrous week to you dear...

Paula Phillips said...

Wonderful Marilyn! I haven't used pan pastels much as I only have three colours, so no help there ;). Much love!

Buffy said...

Glad you're having fun playing,love both of these,the second one is my favorite with the hearts and little girl. Adorable.

Healing Woman said...

I love that soft, muted look. So much like water colors yet they have a distinct look of their own. I also love the drips created.

Jill Zaheer said...

Love the soft pastel colors and variation of the different designs. Not sure what pan pastels are. I recently tried new mediums that had the word pastel in them- but not sure if they are similar.
Looks like you've been enjoying yourself and love to see that! Continue your creativity!

Gaby Bee said...

Beautiful journal pages...lots of color and texture! Love these pieces!

Gaby xo