Thursday, July 7, 2011

Back to journal stuff
























This journal spread is truly a mixed bag of everything! I discovered I love working on silhouettes over script paper (i.e. old book pages, newspaper, dictionaries, etc.). I can make up a batch, all at one time, and have them for future collage work. This particular silhouette was created with a rubber stamp I have.

The artist who originally inspired me with these silhouettes is Dina Wakley. She's a marvelous artist and I have seen a lot of her work in the Stampington publications as well as online sites. With my journal work, I thought it was time, for me, to start creating my own silhouettes, and meshing them with some of my favorite techniques. I think the silhouettes are kind of mysterious and they take the labor and stress out of drawing and sketching an image which I still struggle with no matter how much I practice.

I'm now working on the final spread for my hearts-themed journal. I decided to end the journal with Wonder and Hope :) I will share it after the weekend.

I'll be a little quiet over the next few days. My friend Melanie and I are holding our Funky File-Folder Journal workshop on Sunday, at the scrapbook store, and I have things to get organized, for it, as well as work on the written handouts.

Another weekend is approaching and I hope you all can enjoy your time. Be safe, well, and happy and I'll be back early next week.

Much love and caring thoughts to all......................Marilyn xxoo

21 comments:

Buffy said...

Beautiful pages,I love the silohettes on script paper too. Good luck with your workshop,have fun.

Janet Ghio said...

Love the colors on these pages as well as the silhouettes and the flowers! oh the heart too!!

fran pascazio said...

Love these silhouettes Marilyn....love the pages as well...

Terri Kahrs said...

Your journal pages and art have evolved, Marilyn. They're awesome! I can definitely see Dina's influence, but the style is definitely yours.

Good luck with your class. I just know that the students will have the BEST time!!! Hugs, Terri xoxo

sharon said...

These I think are very unique but very you! Love the script paper too!
You are growing by leaps and bounds!

Anonymous said...

Love this spread Marilyn. So cool the lettered ladies. Dina Wakely is quite wonderful isn't she....just like you. xox Corrine

Lynne Moncrieff said...

There is definitely a sense of the mysterious about the shapes, makes it more intriguing.
Roll on next week when you share the final pages with us.
Have a great weekend and enjoy the workshop you are holding.
Wishes
Lynne

Lori Saul said...

Love your use of newsprint /script paper! What wondrous expressions- you are a master of journal art Marilyn- hope your summer is full of fun and creativity!

Diane J. Evans said...

Lovely, as usual, Marilyn!

Diane

Peggy Beck said...

Such pretty colors marilyn. I love the "feel" of these pieces.

Nan said...

Hi Marilyn...I've enjoyed your heart journl so much. I'm a big fan of Dina Wakely too. I took an online class with her and was lucky enough to win a piece of art from her. I wish I was going to be in your file folder class. That sounds like a lot of fun! Have a great weekend! :) Nan

Anjas-Artefaktotum said...

Allways if I visit your4 blog I'm staggered by new unique amazing art works!
Have a nice weekeend, Anja

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

First, good luck with your journal workshop. I'm quite sure it will be a big success. Second, I love the silhouettes and I am considering making a few of my own after seeing the examples you have. Of course, I have no stamps, so mine would probably come from magazine images. Have a great weekend, dear friend. You will be missed.

Martha Lever said...

I love how your incorporate the silhouettes into your journal pages. I love Dina too! Have a great weekend!

Jan Hennings said...

love your journal pages!

Femmy said...

beautiful pages Marilyn!!

Anonymous said...

Loving your journalling Marilyn its superb. I am in the middle of a page myself too
Hope you have had a lovely weekend
Hugs June xxx

johanna said...

yes, silhouettes have their own mystery... i love what you did with them! i´m sure you had a wonderful creative weekend!

rivergardenstudio said...

I love all your pages here too! roxanne

Marlynn said...

WOW - really cool cool pages, Marilyn. You always inspire me!

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of this reverse silhouette, rather then the silhouette being a block shape itself. I may steal that for a future page if that's ok x