
Here is the cover of my Hearts-themed journal. The cover, itself, in its original state, is a very heavy black board. I was planning on using plaster, over it, but it would have been much too heavy.
For the base of this artwork, I used a National Geographic magazine page (which I think works the best) and treated it with Nevr Dull. Nevr Dull is a polishing wax, of sorts, that is used for metals. I think it's even used on cars. Nothing is sacred in the art world, even in the hardware store. In fact, I think hardware stores are like candy stores to me :)
Nevr Dull comes in a can and inside are these funky wads of cotton-like material that has the solution on it. There is an odor, to this, so my advice is to use it in a well-ventilated area. But; I love the reaction with the magazine ink and the polish - it's really cool and you can add paints over it, more collage - I will share more of these kinds of backgrounds in my new journal.
Speaking of new journal, I have already started one. It won't have a theme; I've decided it's going to be whatever I decide to do on any given page. Just me and my muse! Hmmmmmmmmmmmm; that would make for a great name for the journal!
Hope everyone is having a good weekend. We are heating up, here in the Northeast, and we are in for our first "heat wave" of the summer towards mid week. Oh well; guess I'll have to close myself up in my art area with the a/c on! :)
Today is Part II of the Funky File-Folder Journal workshop that Melanie and I have going. I will be sharing student works, sometime, this week.
In meantime, all take care, hope you're keeping cool and have a safe and happy week ahead.
Love much...................Marilyn xxoo
24 comments:
love this, Marilyn - great colours!
Wonderful colorful cover M!
Nevr Dull sure is a fun but smelly product LOL...I believe it was originally intended to polish chrome bumpers ... I took a workshop with Gail Russakov awhile ago and she showed us this great glue resist using nevr dull and reintroducing colors ...had great fun with that...you make me want to revisit that technique.
thanks as always for the inspiration and for sharing...
Stay Cool...it is getting HHH here again too
oxo
Hi Marilyn! Great cover! I'm in "hearts" mode, too and can't wait to see the art that fills your book! I used citrisolve on a nat geo mag with great results too--i will have to pull them out to play this week! thanks for the inspiration!
love your cover Marilyn!!
Love your journal cover. Never knew you could use Never Dull like that. Hmm, wonder if I have some of that under the kitchen sink? ;-)
Definitely Me and My Muse - fabulous theme or non-theme in this case!
Your cover has a sense of mystery to it.
I also love the hardware store or what we would call the D.I.Y. store - paints, masking tape, washers, chain, trims, you name it.
Thanks for sharing.
Wishes
Lynne
I love your silhouette pages and the cover it the Best! Way Cool!
Hugs
Stunning work, Marilyn! Love your creation.
Love, love, love your cover, Marilyn. Out of curiosity how do you plan to attach this cover to your journal. Notice you said it was heavy board and was wondering how you will either attach to another piece or use a bind-it-all type machine? xoxo
Super cover for your journal. Thanks for sharing some tips on some experimental material and technique too.
xoxo Kim
Love your experimentation! Great cover art!
Diane
Wonderful journal page, Marilyn......You always give us such good tips.....I have never heard of Never Dull......when I get back to working on journals, I must try it......
We hot down in NC too...I think it's here to stay awhile.....Take care of yourself.....
Awesome Marilyn! Whatever that technique is it gives so much depth to your piece.....and the colors really pop!
I bought the Nevr Dull, played with it once and put it on the shelf....need to get it back out. Great cover and I love the colors!
I got my Nevr Dull at the auto parts store. I first bought it back in the late 80s to polish my copper. Now I use it for art and let my copper acquire a patina (grin).
I hope your workshop went well. It is even hotter here in the midwest. We had temps of 110F on Friday and heat indexes around 115F. Had at least 20 days of 100 or more weather since mid-June. Please stay cool.
I really like the cover of your journal. It is stunning. I love how you are always experimenting with different techniques, too.
I tried your Magic Eraser trick last Thursday and I plan to show it on my blog today. Gotta admit, it didn't turn out quite right.
Love the white scratch look,it's magical and mystery, I've used also sometimes Nevr Dull, enamel remover works too!
Have a nice week, dear Marilyn,
hugs Anja
Hi Marilyn: I love your journal cover as it really speaks to the artwork held within its pages. Oh yes, it is such fun to shop hardware, automotive and other assorted places for art supplies. Your new journal definitely should be titled "Me and My Muse!" Looking forward to the student file folder journals. Wonderful week dear...
Beautiful results Marilyn! And thank you so much always for sharing these great art techniques!
It looks wonderful..Never Dull>>Humm!!!
Marilyn
I just love the pop of purple/mauve shades on this one. You truly have a fantastic sense of color...I bet you would be great at interior design too! :) I hope you stay cool m'dear...this week is going to be brutal with the heat! xoxo
Love the magazine page in the background,it looks mysterious. I too love using never dull but the smell is terrible and strong.Beautiful cover for your journal.
Marilyn,
Love this journal cover! The theme is great, and the siloutte there makes my heart sing!!!!! Beautiful! The never dull sounds neat and using it on a magazine page is brilliant! You go girl!!
xoxoxoxo
Huggies,
Patti
This is a very beautiful cover!
A beautiful cover for a beautiful journal. Now I *have* used never dull (or Duraglit, as it's called in the UK).
Post a Comment