Thursday, July 14, 2011

Mr. Clean and Whoops I Forgot One! :)





















































Well; I thought I had completed my heart-themed journal and a few days, ago, was going through each spread and realized I forgot this one! The reason is I was working on this spread with an old background technique I learned a few years back. It's called "ghosting". Well - it didn't work! So; I just left it thinking I will get back to it and forgot about it.

The technique is pretty much spraying with inks (i.e. Adirondack) and then you can use a stencil or just "draw" in shapes with a watery brush. Let the water set about 15 seconds then blot.

So; I decided to take on this flubbed background and try to re-create the ghosting effect with the hearts as I really think the effect is cool. I've used Mr. Clean Magic Eraser before with watercolors and decided to give it a try here. I got my heart stencil out and rubbed the area with the Magic Eraser and wham!!!! Mr. Clean comes through! I was so pleased I then went in with punchinella and also an alphabet stencil.

Here are pictures of "before and after" shots of the spread. (Please forgive the order of these photos; can't figure out how to move them around.) I took photos of the backgrounds that had been treated with the Magic Eraser and then photos of what I am, now, doing with the backgrounds. I still have more to add but thought I'd share what I have.

I did work on the cover of this journal and will be sharing that in near future. I decided against using plaster on the cover; just too heavy an application for this kind of journal.

Thank you all for your lovely comments you left for the photos of Sophia. I can't wait to get more pics so I can use her silhouettes in my art!

I hope you and yours are all well and enjoying life!

Much love, Marilyn xxoo

20 comments:

Healing Woman said...

What a great tip!!! I never thought of using Magic Eraser for an art application. My brain is just buzzing right now with ideas. Thanks so very much-your journal pages really show this effect to the fullest. Also, your little Sophia is A.D.O.R.A.B.L.E!

Anonymous said...

Awww, so cute, thank you!
Love the lady with the ring around her head. So spiritual, like shes a light being. Beautiful!
Loads of ooodles love to you!
Hugs!
Julie

Yvonne said...

I love these colours, Marilyn! So dreamy :)

Anjas-Artefaktotum said...

I love these pages. The colors and details are so magical.
Hugs Anja

Anonymous said...

Neat effects, wow, I will have to try Mr. Clean. The superhero uses it all the time for our furniture samples, keeps them in the car, will have to steal one! Thanks for the tip. xox Corrine

Terri Kahrs said...

Mr. Clean to the rescue!!! OMG, Marilyn!!! What a very clever, creative and useful technique. I know I have one of those Magic Sponges around here somewhere. I'm off to find it and play!!! I'd much rather use it on art than on dirt anyway!!!! Hugs, Terri xoxo

roc said...

just great marilyn! i love magic erasers!! your journal pages are beautiful.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I have to admit, I have never used the Magic Eraser in an art application before. I'm thrilled it works with those inks. So nice to have that as another tool in my arsenal.

To move photos (because I see Blogger is now putting them in at its pleasure, not ours), click on the photo and drag it below the next one. Don't try to drag a photo above another one. It just doesn't seem to work. You must work your way down the post by dragging downward, instead. I know that sometimes it feels like turning right three times in order to go left, but that's how I've found to get the photos in the proper order.

fran pascazio said...

I can't tell which ones are the messed up backgrounds because they all look pretty good to me! Like this technique...

~*~Patty S said...

what a super effect you got with Mr Clean...having a college student that moved alot we got pretty chummy with Mr Clean LOL

I can't wait to give this a whirl
thanks as always for sharing your creativity dear M!
oxo

Buffy said...

Can't wait to try that with the mr clean magic erasor,great idea. Thanks for sharing. Love these pages.

Diane said...

I have to try this--what a great effect!!

Cathy Bueti said...

Marilyn I am in love with these!!! Wow!! I can't stop looking at them! I have not tried spray inks yet. This post makes me want to try! :)

Dandelion and Daisy said...

Love the look and I am getting out my Mr. Clean eraser, right now! Thanks for the tip.

Marlynn said...

Love the Mr Clean effect. Beautiful layout, Marilyn! You Rock girl.

Createology said...

Isn't it amazing what something does that was never designed for such an application...Mr. Clean eraser...Who Knew!
Love these rich jewel color backgrounds. Wonderful weekend dear...

johanna said...

great effect! i´m sure we don´t have a "magic eraser" here, actually never heard of it, but it looks wonderful!

Sugar Lump Studios said...

I love Magic Erasers and have never used them (or thought to) in my art! thank you!
Gorgeous colors and love seeing how you make these beautiful pieces!

Deborah said...

What a brilliant idea, Marilyn! And I love the effect you got. I have a similar product in my kitchen - will have to try it.

Joy Logan said...

how interesting is this idea???