Thursday, June 21, 2007

What's a Split Shot? :)


This morning my husband took me fishing up at "Rock" City Falls. I thought it would be a fun and relaxing activity that we could do together (once in awhile). I was actually amazed at how much I enjoyed this outing. Ted is an avid fisherman and there is much to learn from him. He is also the type that could easily sit and watch grass grow :) I, on the other hand, am very impatient.
I have a feeling fishing could actually help me learn to be more patient. There's so much to it! I really had a ball! Ted taught me how to cast and even jig!! Yes - jig!! We used "faux" worms as I have an aversion to putting a real worm on a hook - eeeeeuuuuuuuuuuu! So; the "faux" worms were just right for me. I do need some practice with the casting of the rod but I'll get the hang of it. I also learned that a split shot is a little "bead"-like silver weight that you can add to your rod to allow one to have a longer cast. I watched Ted thread the fishing line through the split shot and I instantly thought of beading! He even used a tool that resembled the jewelry pliers!
I really did have fun with Ted and he's so patient and a marvelous teacher. There were a couple of times where I got the fishing line caught around my left ear and I could just sense I might have tried his patience just a bit :) But; he persevered and just kept encouraging me to keep at it. We didn't catch any fish; I saw a couple jump up now and then and I caught a twig and a piece of an acorn! We will definitely try this activity again.
One of the things I noticed is my surroundings. Nature is really beautiful and what a lovely day it is today. I took my camera and thought I'd capture just a touch of what I thought was beautiful to me (husband included). I didn't have Ted take a pic of me as I wasn't showered yet and didn't have any make-up on. I thought I'd jump up in the morning and wash up a bit and dress in my grubs and get out there early to fish! Ya know? One of the "guys". Right! Oh well; I tried. I will definitely do this again; perhaps this weekend!! Are you game Ted? Ted - where are you????? Ted! Helloooooooooooooooooooooo! Love to you all, Marilyn


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marilyn I love David with the fish and Ted fishing... I hope you had fun today.. it sounded like you were going to have a great relaxing day...

Patti G. said...

Marilyn, I laugh reading your blog! Ted looks patient! Hehehe, I used to BEG my Dad to take ME fishing and not my brother and we would get up early and go ....or later at night , when the bats would fly low to the lake and I was petrified they would get stuck in my hair! Haaaaahehehe! All the while, my Dad telling me that FISH don't like lots of noise..... so BE QUIET Haaaaaaaa another rough one for ME! I would love it and did put on REAL worms! It was a calming and fun thing! Of course even my Grandpa would take me, and I still remember he would take the fish off the hook for me, cuz he loved me! :0) Glad you had fun! Hugs,Patti
Ted I wanna come too!!!!!!!!

Kerri Jean said...

I always loved to accompany Scott when he fished. I was a very occasional fisher-person myself, but I loved being near water, reading a book, and taking in nature, as you did. Scott is not a typically patient person and fishing brought out a very calm and patient side of his personality... hmmm, hey honey, where's your fishing pole??