Monday, February 4, 2008

"Art is the Portal to my Soul" .........................



With the coming of our new year, I have decided to focus my attention to a new direction in terms of my art. This is not a resolution; as I've never had luck with making those, but this is a "calling" if you will, of where I'm being taken in this art journey of mine :); the path as I like to think of it.

I love collage; it is my heart and I'm also discovering, more and more, that I love to paint!

So; why can't I combine both of them? I found a way to do just that.

Through workshops, books, videos, being blessed with very artistic and creative people around me, I am learning to be able to combine so many things that I have learned over the past years. I guess this is the true discovery of the words Mixed Media. Those words are thrown around so much, lately, and I've never really defined it in my own mind.

Soon I will begin teaching at the Albany Art Room and while my beginning classes solely focus on collage, acrylic painting is where I'd like to focus on next. Not to say, that I am giving up on other mediums - no way:) But; since I'ver discovered the world of acrylic painting, particularly abstract painting - THEN realizing that I can still use collage, and those cool embellishments we all love; I just am holding on to the wings of discovery lately.

This picture, above, is an acrylic collage painting that I did over the weekend. I named the piece "Portals" which is one of my favorite themes.

I wish you all a good week ahead! Love, Marilyn

12 comments:

Deb said...

I like the direction you are following.. this is a wonderful collage ~ I have always like the combination of red and turquoise. Stunning piece! Deb

Sanja said...

portals is one of my favorite themes too :-)
amazing collage,Marylin!!!

have a nice day!

Viola said...

WOW, Marilyn, great, great, great!!! What a wonderful collage! I love it!! :o)

Patti G. said...

I do feel that collage can take the mind and art to places that we don't even know! there are so many ways to get deep into thought with this piece, and art develops doesn't it!? It is neat to follow your growth!
I will be keeping my eye on you!!!
And your creative journey Marilyn!
Beautiful!
Hugs,Patti

Evidence of an Artistic Life said...

This is wonderful!! I will be following you on your journey as I attempt to discover where I want to journey next.
hugs, chris p

Gaby Bee said...

Your collage is awesome, Marilyn. The color combination red and turquoise is terrific. I always love such vibrant color compositions. Stunning!

Anonymous said...

You do beautiful work... love the painting..

Kerri Jean said...

This piece is amazing Marilyn!! I love everything about it - the colors, the texture, the scalloped awnings, the abstract combined with the recognizable doorways... I could go on and on!!!!!

vicci said...

Marilyn....I really love this....I think the new direction is GREAT! I LOVE portals!!! Windows....doors....anything! XXOO

Patti Sandham said...

Hi Marilyn,

Your painting and words are both very thought provoking. It is interesting isn't it the journey we take when we delve into art.
beautiful work!

Hugs Pattio

Alexandra said...

Wonderful collage

Peggy Beck said...

Marilyn, I am in awe of how much you seem to be growing. I love the mixed acrylic and college works you've been doing. Great job and I look forward to seeing more. Peggy