Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Shane "Potsie" LaVoie....Celebrate a Life







Today mark's a date that is very heavy in our minds and heart here with our family and friends.



One year ago, today, my son lost his best friend, Shane, in a motorcycle accident. One of these pictures is one that was taken on my son's wedding day just before the ceremony (July 7, 2006).

Shane is the second one in from the right.

My son was over yesterday and we talked a lot about Shane; and David would like the approach to be more of a celebration of Shane's life than to look at this specific day as a celebration. David has been struggling with missing Shane; their daily conversations, sharing their love of baseball, the outdoors, their loves in their life, etc. David recently had his upper left arm tatooed with a cross and Shane's initials put in the middle of it. He said it offers him much comfort. It's a beautiful tatoo, really, and it was very emotional to see it. I took a picture of it, here, to share.

We all miss Shane; his smile, his personality, he always made everyone feel very important. He really listened to everyone that he was with at the time. His sense of humor was unlike any I have ever experienced; he was quick on the comeback, a real grinder but not done in a mean way; everything he did was with love of the people that meant the most to him.

I have to admit, with approaching this date, I have been feeling a bit sad, but when I think about celebrating Shane's life, and not his passing, it does offer me much comfort. I can still have him with me when I watch the Yankees play (Ted can really think about him when they play the Sox), I can think of Shane when I see a crow. The crow symbolizes Shane, to me, as a crow played a very significant role in Shane's burial ceremony. Shane was an American Indian (Mohegan) and the cultural ceremonies were included in his funeral; they were beautiful rituals.

Posting this and sharing this, with you, has offered me great comfort. It is my small way of celebrating Shane, who meant so much to us here. We miss him and are finding ways to comfort ourselves so we can truly celebrate his life.

We love you Shane!!!!! GO YANKEES!

I am wishing you all a safe and happy day! Even though you didn't know Shane.......hug someone you love today!!!!!

Hugs to all of you..........................Marilyn xxoo



7 comments:

Sanja said...

It's a very emotional post, Marylin. It is very hard to lose a good friend, and David's tattoo is a wonderful memory to his best friend. God bless you all!

Hugs,
Sanja

Evidence of an Artistic Life said...

Wonderful, loving post. Great tribute to a great friend!
hugs chris

Femmy said...

A beautiful tribute to a dear friend! God bless you all!!
hugs Femmy

Patti G. said...

Marilyn and David, Your loss of Shane is still so close to the surface with the anniversary of his passing here now! I wish you all healing and I can only imagine that Shane knew the love you had for him! David's tattoo is a wonderful expression of that!
Sending hugs,
Pattie

Kerri Jean said...

What a beautiful tribute. What a better way to keep alive the memory of someone than to share all of his goodness with others.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute!!

Whenever I see a crow looking majestic and proud , it always reminds me of you Marilyn, now I know why crows are so important to you.
Love and a big hug from sesga xx

Erasmuse said...

Hard to believe it's been a year already. I remember when that happened. :( My heart goes out to all of you.

love,
Pam