Friday, April 3, 2009

"Joy"...................just for fun :)


This is an 8 x 10 canvas that I had some fun with today. It's done in acrylics and oil pastels.

I recently bought a sketchbook and have been bringing it, with me, wherever I go. I'm really trying to work on my drawing skills, or I should say lack of :)

Yesterday was a beautiful day, here, so my husband and I took a long walk and decided to stop at a coffee shop that isn't too far from where we live. We sat outside and I had my sketchbook, with me, and was enjoying watching this young man (I would venture to guess he was 12) who was strutting about outside of the cafe. Now; my parenting instincts kicked in and I immediately thought now why isn't this young man not in school? Hmmmmmmmmm. But; I let that go and decided to start sketching him. It was a rough sketch as this young man could not stand still for very long but I really liked his hair and the way he was moving. He always had his hands in his pockets but it was like he was dancing in a way. He was quite entertaining :) I think he was probably reacting to the joy of being out of school for awhile - yikes!

I already had the background, for this piece, as it was a demo for a workshop that I conducted at the Art Room. Sometimes when I'm teaching, I don't get to finish a piece, and bring home the "starters" to work on at another time. I think this was a match! This young man seemed to bode well with this background. My vision, for this piece, was to express his graceful movements. He was so unaware of what I was doing.

Today, using my sketch, I ended up drawing him onto the background, painting him in with acrylics and working oil pastels into the figure. I did add the flowers, birds and word Joy to the painting, too.

Well; my friends, here it is Friday - woohoo! I hope you all had a good week. Enjoy your upcoming weekend; be safe and maybe get out those sketchbooks and see what inspiration you can find out in the world. There's so much to see and experience...........................joy!

Love and hugs..............................Marilyn xxoo

12 comments:

Peggy Beck said...

Marilyn, I think you captured this young boys essence! He looks just like you described him. Very nice.
Love the colors too.
Peggy

Diane J. Evans said...

The boy looks so at ease, and I really love the background -- looks like some stamped work maybe? Very textured, Marilyn -- and there's nothing wrong with your drawing ability!

Diane

deb said...

This is fantastic, the whole piece is just so laid back and relaxed.

bockel24 said...

I really like this painting, and I think that you´ve captured his kind of moving quite well - no sign of a lack of painting skills ...

Patti Sandham said...

Marilyn, This rocks! You have really captured the joy and the movement so well and your colours are so yummy!

Joy Logan said...

Love this piece!

Evidence of an Artistic Life said...

This is incredible!!! Really beautiful, Marilyn!!
hugs, chris

Sanja said...

this is awesome,Marilyn!
xo
Sanja

Femmy said...

love this piece Marilyn!!

Viola said...

Fabulous piece as ever, Marylin! The colors are so great!

Patti G. said...

Marilyn,
You are taking on hand drawing and it is working out ggggggreat! He looks happy and joyous and I feel the ease of movement there with the way he is on the canvas! What a lovely background too!!!!!!
Hugs,Patti

Alexandra said...

Your canvas is wonderful!