Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The gifts of friendship and choosing :)


I am so blessed to have such wonderful friends in my life. I never had a lot of friends, growing up; reasons for that I guess but looking back, I don't think it was meant to be at that time.

When I really think about this; friends are really gifts because we choose them and they choose us! That is the beauty of it!

Don't get me wrong, I have a wonderful immediate family. My husband is a marvelous man, my son and daughter-in-law; well they are just amazing! But; I am venturing, to say, that we all might have one, or even two, family members that we wouldn't have chosen. I will leave it at that :)

So; the act of meeting someone who is not related, choosing to spend time with to share feelings, our lives, our interests and then realizing it's blossomed into a wonderful relationship! How special is that?

The picture, here, is of a very special gift I received from a remarkable woman who I have chosen to be my friend and she has chosen me to be hers! Her name is Peggy Beck and we arranged to have breakfast, together, this week and she presented me with this beautifully hand-knitted sweater for Sophia, who if you haven't heard or read, is my very first grand child who is due to greet this world on Dec. 12th! We are all very excited to meet her. My son and daughter-in-law are anxiously awaiting her birth.

I was so overwhelmed with Peggy's gift as I knew it was created with love and appreciation of our friendship. When I stopped to really reflect, on this, I know that knitting is not an easy art and I have tried it and I just couldn't do it. It takes time, patience, and talent. All of these words describe Peggy!

Thank you, Peggy, for this special gesture of friendship and I cannot wait to see the expression on my daughter-in-law's face when she sees this sweater in person!

When you all have time, please check out Peggy's Blog

Peggy created her Blog, not too long ago, and I think you'll find her art and words mesh beautifully together.

Thank you all, who support and follow my Blog, as I know you choose to do that and that's what makes it so meaningful to me. When I sit down, each morning, with my cup of joe and laptop, I choose to visit your Blogs and websites as I want to spend this time viewing your beautiful art, reading your words and thoughts that inspire me on a daily basis.

I wish you all a safe and happy day!

Much love - Marilyn xxoo

15 comments:

Peggy Beck said...

Marilyn, what are you doing up at 3:30 am? Posting?

I knew you would touch my heart as you always do, so making a sweater was a way for me to try to touch yours and it appears I did.

You are right about friends, that we can choose them and I am so grateful that we chose each other.

Thanks also for the continuous inspiration that encourages me to work on my projects.

Patti Sandham said...

Beautifully said Marilyn!

And it is making me reflect on the important things in life. Freindships. :)

Caterina Giglio said...

what a lovely post Marilyn! I love your comments about friendship and family and totally agree! all of my friends are like "chosen" family now and many are closer than my own fam and know me better! funny how that works out sometimes! this little gift is awesome and I can see how you were touched by the love in this!
thanks for your dear comments about my canvas book, it means so much to hear your thoughts! xo cat

Terri Kahrs said...

Nothing is as beautiful as a gift from the heart, and this little sweater is soooo gorgeous! At this time of thanks giving, it's a joy to count our friends among the blessings! Hugs, Terri xoxo

Deb L. said...

What a lovely and moving post... you are such an inspiration to all of us, with a heart that is wide open to those of us that gladly "choose" you as a dear friend. Peggy's gift of love is beautiful and Sophia will be the most stunning baby in New York! Am anxioulsy looking forward to news of her birth and LOTS of photos!! Hope all is well, dear M. xox Deb

Kerri Jean said...

Blessed indeed. Lovely post. Lovely sweater. Lovely friend.

sharon said...

Such a beautiful and meaningful gift! I love your post and your expression of friendship! I consider myself blessed with family but also wonderful blog friends, most of whom I have never met, but are so meaningful in my life, and enrich my soul everyday, including you sweet Marilyn!

bockel24 said...

thanks for YOUR friendship, Marilyn!

Heather Robinson said...

This post so expresses how I feel about the friends in my life....you included. They are truly a blessing and it matters that we are able to choose them because they,in turn, feed our souls and enrich our lives. Big hugs....What a wonderful gift for Sophia!

Diane J. Evans said...

Truly a gift of love, Marilyn -- both the sweater AND the friendship!

Diane

sue pelletier said...

beautiful post and beautiful sweater! lucky baby girl (who is due on my fabulous daughters birthday)!!!

Viola said...

The sweater is so beautiful! Such a lovely gift!

Jacky said...

What a beautiful post Marilyn. I am so glad you have chosen me as one of your blogging friends. I love when you pop by to visit and I love visiting your wonderful blog.
What a lovely gift from your friend Peggy, how wonderful that you are expecting your first grandchild soon!
I wanted to let you know that your package has arrived!!! What a HUGE treat! Packed with such lovely goodies. The book is amazing and I am looking forward to devouring each and every page. And, those lovely papers. Such treasures and sure to be used in my journal soon. You are so clever with all of your techniques. Thanks for the beautiful dragonfly stamps too. I'm sure they'll feature somewhere in the journal too.
What a fantastic give-away. Thanks so much for your generosity.

Jacky xox

Patti G. said...

This sweater from Peggy is JUST PRECIOUS!!!!!!!!! Like your friendship with her! Amazing detail and sweet as can be!
Hugs,
Patti

Laura said...

I'm catching up on blogposts again...
This sweater is absolutely gorgeous, Marilyn! Peggy sure did a terrific job. Sophia will be warm and cozy and beautiful in it, I'm sure.