Saturday, December 5, 2009

"Nobility"

5 x 7 mixed media
matboard

I found an old poetry book at a garage sale, not too long ago, and it's filled with some very touching poems but the poets names are not included with the poems which I thought was peculiar; intriguing to me.

I came across this poem in the book and this is just an excerpt as the poem is quite long:

"Nobility"
'True worth is in being, not seeming,-
In doing each day that goes by,
Some little good - not in dreaming
Of great things to do by and by
For whatever men say in their blindness
And spite of the fancies of youth
There's nothing so kingly as kindness
And nothing so royal as truth.'

Wow! Right? This part of the poem just blew me away. I had to include it in a collage and I copied the part I really liked and aged it with some walnut ink.

This Paper Whimsy image just seemed so right for this piece.

We are on another weekend already. I hope you all have a safe and happy one! My thoughts are with you, your art and words.

Much love - Marilyn xxoo

21 comments:

Martina said...

OMG, Marilyn ! Your work is beyond gorgeous! It takes my breath away!
Fantastic piece of art and wonderful poem!
Wish you a wonderful weekend.
Hugs
Martina :-)

Janny said...

Great poem but a great work also. Beautiful colour use and so much to see. have a great weekend;o)

sharon said...

Fantastic piece Marilyn.....love that rich background....wow, and Tthe image is perfect with that incredible poem! Have a greeeeat weekend!

Caterina Giglio said...

lovely poem, looks like a gem. you can google the titles and see what comes up if you want to know who wrote them...your piece is wonderful the color is so rich!

Terri Kahrs said...

Stunning and vibrant piece, Marilyn, yet it has a beautiful, contemporary romantic quality too with that lovely image and great quote. Hope you have a super weekend too! Hugs, Terri xoxo

Diane J. Evans said...

What beautiful words! And you gave them the perfect setting, Marilyn!

Diane

Sanja said...

colorful und absolutely gorgeous piece Marilyn.
love your work :-)
have a nice weekend
hugs
Sanja

Evidence of an Artistic Life said...

How beautiful-love the poem, too. You inspire me!!! Hope you are having a lovely holiday season!!!
hugs, chris

jgr said...

Hi Marilyn,
I love the poem and your art is the perfect visual for the 'tone' of the words. Thank you for sharing it - thank you as always for your comments, I always appreciate them. :-)

Sandy said...

Wow OMG this is absolutely stunning. I´m speachless. Gorgeous work.

Have a wonderful weekend. Hugs.

Poetic Artist said...

Your art is always so beautiful.
I love the poem too. Have a good weekend.
Katelen

bockel24 said...

lovely colours, and the red piece on top makes it perfectly balanced!

Gaby Bee said...

Love all the details on this! Gorgeous colors, fabulous textures and a captivating image. Awesome!
Love that quote too!
Hope you are having a wonderful Holiday Season!

johanna said...

wonderful poem! i really love your thoughtful piece!
have a great advent time!
johanna oxox

Sugar Lump Studios said...

Marilyn
this is fantastic! what a wonderful poem to be able to include (don't ya kove finding old books like that) gorgeous work as always! Happy Monday to you! :)

Peggy Beck said...

Beautiful as always. I am in love with your new header too. The colors and texture and everything about it. Love the poem. It says so much.

Love always

Laura Haviland said...

Love this Marilyn, I really think that is a great poem.
Your so awesome what you create.
Big Hugs, Laura. xoxxx

Viola said...

A wonderful poem and a fabulous collage, Marilyn! Great background!

Heather Robinson said...

To one of the most noble people I know....stunning piece. It IS so odd that there aren't any names on these poems, isn't it? So glad you found this treasure and will honour the poems despite their anonymity.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I love the composition of this piece. Your work always amazes and excites me.

vintage wil said...

What a fabulous collage!!