Sunday, December 27, 2009

"A Secret Spot"

I had an opportunity, yesterday, to unload some creative energy. It's funny; if I don't create any art, for a few days, I can feel it building up; something has to come out :) Does this happen to you?

This is a 6 x 6 hard board piece that was one of the demos from my Odds and Ends workshop (as seen in previous post). I recently purchased a new collage sheet from Paper Whimsy and this background piece seemed to call out to her.

The quote I used is:

"Within your heart keep one, still, secret spot where dreams may go..." Lonise Driscoll

I always enjoy the peace and calm that comes over me, after Christmas. I loved the time with my family and Sophia certainly made it a very special Christmas for us all this year.

But; the quiet days that follow, my "secret spot", offer reflective time, for me, not only thinking about the year going by but also feeling hope for the coming new year. I'm not one for New Year's resolutions; too much pressure.

I do have some art goals, however, and a couple of them are offering an online class, or two, sometime in 2010. I have to perfect my time with my Flip video before I begin the process :) I'm getting there. The other goal is to journal more and my 2009 goal of journaling every day kind of went astray! Will I achieve these goals? Not sure but thinking on them "out loud" here on my Blog is a beginning.

I have many blessings, in my life; lots of positive things going on! One of the best things I've done, for myself, is Blog. I remember being so uncertain where it would lead. I'm so happy I took the leap!

I've connected, with all of you, and look forward to sharing more art and words, with you, in the coming New Year! Without your friendships, support and inspiration, I wouldn't have my wings!

I hope you all had a happy holiday and are enjoying these peaceful days that have followed to reflect on this year and the coming year - a new beginning.

What are some of your art goals? I'd like to read about them!

Have a great day, a safe and joyous week ahead.

Much love - Marilyn xxoo


27 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

There are so many comments I could leave about this post. First, I love the collage. It shouts spring, which will surely be here soon. I love your blog banner, too. I never think to change mine.

As for resolutions, I am still contemplating mine, but some are similar to yours. Guess I had better get busy and decide what goes on my list this year.

Thank you for being so supportive of my art and blog. Blogging has become an important part of my life, too. For one thing, it led me to your wonderful and inspiring blog.

Would you mind if I added your blog to my blog roll? I can't find an e-mail address, so decided to ask in a comment.

Sandy said...

Oh wow this is absolutely lovely.
Wonderful page Marilyn. Love them.

Deb L. said...

What a beautiful post and also what a gorgeous new look for your blog... I love that one of your goals this new year is to teach an online class. Your easy-going and patient style (and creativity!) will make it a sure success! Wishing you a very happy, healthy and safe 2010, filled with all things good. I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to get to know you this past year - and here's to many years ahead...xoxo Deb

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Marilyn,

I would be honored to be a part of your blog. BTW, I never add anything to my blog (blogs, photos, art) without express written permission. One of my really strict rules!

Caterina Giglio said...

on line classes! oh it is one of my new year goals as well! we need to talk and share ideas!!! xo

Diane said...

Marilyn, I love your goals, especially the online course. I took my first class a couple of months ago, and I loved it-just for the connecting with other artists alone was worth it. It's what led me to starting a blog, which was one of my goals for next year--I've already reached it! My goal every year is to never stop learning!

marilyn said...

Thankful that you decided to blog. Love the idea of an on-line class to learn your techniques. Happy New Year

Createology said...

Marilyn what a beautiful creative piece of art you have made. Your post is lovely and inspirational. Thank you for sharing with all of us and I look forward to "hearing" you reach your goals in 2010. I am thrilled to have found you and share our blogging adventures. Happy, Safe, Healthy and Creative New Year to you and yours. :~)

Martina said...

A big aplause Marilyn!!!
What you make is always a feast for my eyes to look at !!
Wel done!!
And thanks for sharing the lovely video from Sophia! She a beauty!

Diane J. Evans said...

Love the quotation, Marilyn -- I would like to adopt it! The piece is beautiful, as always!

Diane

Jacky said...

I have been contemplating New Years Resolutions too, but knowing that I am never too good at keeping them...try as I might, things get in the way.
This year I will just just try to have a positive outlook and be happy in myself as that will help me achieve heaps I am sure.
Good luck with your on-line classes. A great way to go as we can create without having to leave our home (with ALL of art supplies around us) and without leaving our country. The online classes have allowed me to take classes with people overseas that I would never have had that opportunity otherwise. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun!

Jacky xox

sharon said...

I am soooo thankful you are blogging Marilyn....you are a driving inspiration for me! You talent is abundant! One goal of mine is to be published in another magazine I have been striving for. Another would be to take your online class! Hugs to you!!

johanna said...

a wonderful piece with a great quote! i´m addicted to the square format recently...

happy new year to you and yours!!

Jen Crossley said...

What a wonderful post you have so much talent and knowledge to share.Love the collage

jgr said...

Hi Marilyn,
What a wonderful post. I agree with you on several points: I, too look forward to the 'calm' after the happy chaos of Christmas Day, visiting family, traveling. I love to spend the days between Christmas and New Years cleaning house, cleaning my studio and setting goals for the year. Have you ever made a "Dream Map?"
I'll be posting about it in the next few days.
Also-I like your banner!
-Jane

Lori Saul said...

Beautiful, creative piece Marilyn- I love the reach out and touch sensibility to it - wonderful texture and color. Happy New year to you and yours!

Sanja said...

Fabulos piece Marilyn!
Happy Healthy New Year to you and yours .
Sanja xo

~*~Patty S said...

unload some creative energy ... now that's a great way to put it ... I do find I feel out of balance if I don't get to play/create every day or so

such a lovely creation with that pretty PW girl, the colors and textures are really fab

I am not a big resolution maker either, but always have thoughts and dreams ... taking more time to read is something and I am going to put my toes into PS (that might take me years hahaa)

Love your new blog look the tree lined road is so inviting as is your blog!

Sending you every good and special wish for the New Year!
oxo

Carol Q said...

Lovely post Marilyn. I certainly agree with your comment about the need to create building up. It's such a relief when you can actually get going and get the juices flowing! Have a very happy and successful 2010.

ute said...

Marilyn, so wonderful art, love all of them
Wishshing You All the Best for 2010
warm regards and a bug hugs ute

Sugar Lump Studios said...

Marilyn
another gorgeous collage piece! :) I loved reading about some of your goals for 2010 - gives me inspiration! I don't think that I will be making any...the house moving and then getting our current home sold is more than enough! I guess my goal is "finding time to create" the next couple months!
I hope you have a wonderful and Happy New Year...and may 2010 be blessed with all good things! xoxoxo

Laura Haviland said...

Happy New Year dear friend Marilyn !!! Who "Rocks" so huge!!!!
My goal is to get creating again, asap. I have not been doing that and start blogging again.
I wish the best new year to you.
Another goal chat with Marilyn more too, asap. I have missed you. Biggest Hugs Lovely friend.
xxxoxx, Laura.
I love love love this collage too.

Barb said...

Hi Marilyn,
Luv your latest creation and your blog header is soooo inviting!
Happy New Year, far away friend.

Jo Capper-Sandon said...

I said that after Boxing Day...I neeeeeeed to make something lol...I could feel the tension lol

This is sooo beautiful and is so you if you know what I mean. Gorgeous colour and texture. Artwork you would never get tired of gazing at and seeing something new each time you looked.

I love your profile pic btw...is that a new one, I dont recall ever having seen that before. I imagined you 20 years older...or maybe you are but just wearing well :0)

Wishing you and yours a wonderful New Year ... love visiting your blog and working along side you on the DT.

Off to read all about your guest.

I posted too about my aspirations and the coming year. Think I have my work cut out lol

:0) xx

Hanne said...

What a beautiful collage!
Hanne

Viola said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Marilyn!! Love your collage and love your beautiful post! :)

Alexandra said...

Fantastic work Marylin. I wish you a nice time with your familie and little Sophia. ... and a Happy New Year. Hugs Alexandra