
"The Secret to Life" is one of my favorite James Taylor songs. I think it captures, for me anyway, how to try to live my life as best I can; simply by enjoying the passing of time. It transcends my mind to more simpler thoughts; pleasures and activities and how to incorporate them into my daily living. I play the song a lot.
Life can be stressful, for us, that is certain but I, for one, am so glad my creative spirit decided to be there, for me, when I needed it the most. It was there, waiting, with perfect timing :)
I recently picked up a small journal so I could carry it with me if I choose. Or if I just want to practice some small sketches and the pages are thick, enough, to handle wet mediums.
This journal page reflects the joy I feel for being able to turn to my art no matter what I might be going through; such a peaceful and joyous time even if it's for an hour that I can take for myself. It also reflects my feelings of joy for being able to plant my cone flowers successfully :) as well as the joy I feel spending time in my home, creating art while sipping on a new-found flavor of Fresca - Peach!. Ah; the simpler life - simple pleasures; enjoying the passing of time. The Secret to Life :) Thanks JT!
I tried a new technique, with this sketch. It's a little "ghostly" but I like it. It's sketching with water-soluble graphite pencil then going in with Gesso. The Gesso smudges the graphite but I actually like the effect. I was going to leave the sketch untouched with color but decided on combining some acrylics with Conte crayons. As I mentioned, this little journal allows for the option of paints, etc.
If I'm a little quiet, this week, it's because we are having our Internet service switched over and although I don't see any problems with the installation; one never knows about these things. I'm hoping for a quick transition. We shall see :) One can only hope :)
In meantime, stay cool, healthy, safe and may you all experience the simple pleasures, of life, in your day so you can enjoy the passing of time.
Thinking of you all - always. Love much - Marilyn xxoo
31 comments:
Marilyn, This is a wonderful piece of art! I agree we have been fortunate enough to have the joy of art to turn to. It's a wonderful thing! They have peach Fresca? I love Fresca(O:
A lovely journal page.Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.Warmest Regards,Cat
Another great journal page Marilyn! I really like the gesso effect. I love gesso! lol
I also really like letting lyrics for songs I like inspire my art - that art that helps put quiet our stressed minds. And this is a great song - I agree with you on that! Hey, I was looking at some old zines today and found a Collage Cat from 2004 with an article by you in it - that was pretty cool!
Beautiful journal page,I like when the pencil smudges too. I havent had a fresca in so long,that kinda sounds good.
Once again so wonderful and great journaling. Fabulous flowers. Love it.
I really like this journal page and the smudging with the graphite pencil looks really good!
It's so much fun to see all the ways you experiment in your paintings and journals. I was really impressed with the charcoal and gesso technique. Of course, the entire page is pretty spectacular.
Fingers crossed the internet transition goes well.
Your journal pages always refelect your life feelings so perfectly and they are so genuine. Really beautiful Marilyn!!
Peach Fresca....thanks for the info! I love fresca, and will be onthe search tonight!
I'm hoping that your internet switch is seamless, Marilyn. I can't imagine life without Inet service and freak out when we go down for just a little while.
Love the idea of using the water soluble graphite with gesso. I'll have to give it a try! Hugs, Terri xoxo
Fresca takes me right back to childhood, I used to drink it all the time. No soda for me anymore though! you enjoy it for me and we get to enjoy your lovely page. xox Corrine
Marilyn, Your sentiments are wonderful....I love this thought process; it's very soothing to me. There comes a time in our lives when the simple pleasures outweigh the need for material things...a song, a color, an hour to call your own are so more meaningful! I love this time of my life...
Great journal page, too, by the way!
That is one of my favorite songs too, marilyn! I love how you are mixing journaling with drawing...
really lovely and thoughtful post Marilyn and YES JT is so fantastic, that song has always been a fav of mine too!
Your journal page is beautiful, hopeful and full of joy! tfs!
good luck on your computer changes
oxo
p.s. I have been itching to play in one of my art journals ... the passing of time ... keeps getting in the way ... thank you for inspiring me again and again!
Love your journal page; thanks for describing your technique....you always challenge me to reach.....
Enjoying the passing of time...thanks for reminding me. Too often I try to hold it back....
Your post was soothing and refreshing....
Hugs
Marilyn, this is so creative and beautiful! Your imagination is endless .........
Ahh, Sweet Baby James does say it the best, doesn't he? And your journal page reflects that!
Diane
Wonderful as always, Marilyn. How are the Conte crayons--have you used the Caran d'Ache crayons? And if you have, are they about the same?
I think for me music is one of the most creative mediums that has been such a constant in my life. It truly can change how we feel and think. How fun to have your small journal to try out styles. Happy creating...
P.S. Good luck with your internet switch.
Love the collage painting...
What a great heap of good ideas! Thanks for sharing! Patsy from
HeARTworks
Beautiful piece. Thanks for sharing your art, your thoughts, and your Fresca.
Annette
Beautiful piece. Thanks for sharing your art, your thoughts, and your Fresca.
Annette
Beautiful piece. Thanks for sharing your art, your thoughts, and your Fresca.
Annette
Beautiful piece. Thanks for sharing your art, your thoughts, and your Fresca.
Annette
I really like this face,Marilyn! Very cool technique.
Ahh, yes, James Taylor. Good memories.
I love your journal page and the message you have made in it and I also listened to 'The secret of Life' and love it's message too.
Congrats with the award;o)Thank you for sharing your beautiful work and thoughts!
Your journal is beautiful Marilyn, the combination of the soft drawing with the lettering....and the word JOY describes your heart's thoughts well! This is great!!!!!! Sending hugs!
xoxoxoxo
Patti
Wonderful that you are "Playing" with time and experimenting with materials and coming up with such great results. Love the journal Marilyn.
Amazing Marilyn,I love this journal page. Another major winner !!!
Your post was wonderful and speaks to me.
That is an awesome song.
Love you bunches,Hugs Laura.xoxx
I love this page Marilyn. It is a fantastic painting! Have a nice weekend. Hugs Alexandra
Post a Comment