Friday, December 17, 2010

True Friendship




















I was inspired by a couple of things, this week, that led me to create in my journal last night.

One was a telephone conversation I had with a dear friend, recently, as well as a holiday card I received in the mail yesterday. How in the world, you might ask, would these two things inspire me?

The telephone conversation, with my friend, really made me think about the gift of friendship. And; it is a gift because we can choose our friends and they choose us! This could be from the "instant connection" we might make with someone and then nurture the friendship as we go. It's like planting a seed, nurturing it and it blossoms into something really beautiful!

The holiday card I received, yesterday, was a non-traditional type but it had these really beautiful "connecting" seashells on the front and I instantly had to photocopy the card and use in this journal page to signify the connections that we can make with someone.

I started sketching in my journal knowing I wanted to represent friendships - true friendships. The seashells symbolize the connection and also some of the ingredients that I feel go into a true relationship. They are:

The actual connection, trust, and then respect.

What followed was this quote: (which I journaled around the heads so the writing connects)

"Be true to yourself and you will always have a true friend behind you"....Marilyn Rock

I wish you all the gift of true friendships; it's something to be treasured.

I really don't know where I would be without my friends, not only the special relationships I have, here, but also my Blogger friends who I find to be warm, caring, generous and so very inspiring.

At this writing I want to wish you all a blessed, peaceful and joyous holiday season. Enjoy the traditions with your loved ones, both family and friends and may the new year keep you healthy and at peace.

Thank you all for offering me the gift of your friendship!

I'll be back after Christmas! Love much! -Marilyn






35 comments:

Numinosity said...

What a nice post. You really gave me something to think about. And your piece is a nice tribute to your friendships. I do so enjoy your artwork.
xoxo Kim

sharon said...

Thank you for your friendship Marilyn and your inspiration all year! We are nothing without each other.
Your piece is beautiful.
Wishing you a beautiful holiday!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I am thrilled to be able to call you a friend. Your friendship means a lot to me, and I am so glad we connected in blogland. Your art is always an inspiration to me, and your thoughts always hit home, no matter what the topic.

Have a joyous Christmas. I'm going to miss you while you are away, so make sure your holidays are safe and stress free.

Sandy said...

Oh wow this is so beautiful and inspiring.
Absolutely lovely.

Have a wonderful weekend my dear friend.

Martina said...

It's always a pleasure to visit and to see what you've been creating, dear Marilyn. This is so beautiful and you`re so talented.
Have a wonderful Christmas Season my friend.
Hugs
MARTINA xxx

Yvonne said...

Beautiful card, Marilyn!

Terri Kahrs said...

What a beautiful post, Marilyn!!! Thank you for your friendship and inspiration - and - your warm Holiday wishes! Same to you, My Friend. May your Christmas be filled with joy, peace and many wonderful memories, and may your New Year be filled with good health and lots of art!!! Hugs, Terri xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Friends are the hearts you keep and care for. Lovely post and journal page. I love the idea of the connecting shells. xox Corrine

johanna said...

love your post!
have a wonderful christmas time with all your loved ones!!

gail said...

awesome post. merry christmas

bockel24 said...

Wonderful colours, use of lace, and atmosphere - great work!

Lori Saul said...

Such beautiful work Marilyn and I love the angel below- precious. You are so right about friends. If you are true to who you are truly compatible friends will stay close. Friendship comes from inside and blossoms outward!

Jacky said...

Beautiful piece Marilyn and I love that quote (have written it in my journal).

Wishing you a joyous Christmas and cant wait to catch up again next year.

Love and Peace to you and yours.

Jacky xox

~*~Patty S said...

thank you so much for the gift or your online friendship and for being such an inspiration and caring person

have a wonderful holiday with all those you Love

Brightest of Blessings in the new year

fa la la
oxo
p.s. Love your journal page very much along with what you wrote of course :)

~*~Patty S said...

for the gift OF your friendship = doh!
:)

Rebecca Anthony said...

This is a beautiful post and a beautiful journal page!

Dianne said...

And the same to you...

Gaby Bee said...

What a beautiful post! I so admire your art! Thanks for your friendship and inspiration!

Happy December weekend!
Gaby xo

Femmy said...

beautiful Marilyn!! Thanks for your blogger friendship, you inspire so many of us!!!
Have a Merry Christmas with all your loved ones and a Happy, healthy 2011!!

Hanne said...

Absolutely beautiful Marilyn!
Wishing you a beautiful Christmas!
Hanne

Buffy said...

This is such a beautiful and touching post. I love your girls you did,all the embellishments are perfect touches too. Thank you for always leaving encouraging words on my blog and for always sharing your art with us,it is always inspiring. Hope you have a blessed Christmas too.

angela recada said...

What a wonderful post, especially at this time of year.

Wishing you the happiest of holidays.
xo

Nancy said...

Marilyn, you are so right about friendships; they are precious gifts and not to be taken for granted......

I have been blessed by your friendship this year. You are not only a wonderful artist but you have encouraged and inspired me so much this past year...Thank you...

May your Christmas be blessed beyond measure this year.....

Hugs and blessings

Diane J. Evans said...

What a perfect quotation to place around these best friends. We cannot exist without our friendships -- they sustain us and nourish us through everything we experience. Thank you for being my friend and for your constant support and inspiration.

Diane

Diane said...

So so Beautiful Marilyn!! Enjoy your Holidays!!

Createology said...

Hi Marilyn: You are so correct that true friendship is the best. Your journal page is a wonderful tribute to friendship. A very safe and joyous Christmas to you and yours. I am so happy to consider you one of my blog friends who mean so very much to me. Happy Holly Jolly Joy to you my dear...

roc said...

i really enjoyed reading your post this morning. it made me stop and think about friendships. i hope i never take our friendship for granted. i truly am inspired by you in so many ways marilyn. i'm so glad our paths have crossed. god bless you and your family this holiday season.

Norwegiantage said...

thoughtful post. youre so right! thank you for posting this.

<3 mvv

Expedition of a Modern Viking Vixen

p.s. i invite you to enter my giveaway :)

Moniqui said...

Sweet post! I wish you and yours a very merry Christmas a great new year!

Elizabeth said...

I have been so very busy that I ahve been neglecting my friends and not done any blog hoping!! I do so thank you for the wonderful friendship that you ahve given me!! this is a beautiful journal piece- lovely and true in so very many ways!! ahve a wonderful Christmas with Sophia and family!! I will be in touch more after Christmas!! Happy Holiday Hugs!

Nan said...

I'm so glad you visited my blog..I've been away from my blog and blog friends for a while. It's such a pleasure to come and visit and see your beautiful new work. Each one is just wonderful! :) Nan

Happy Holidays!!

Janny said...

Great post Marilyn. Have a Merry Christmas and all the best for 2011!

Debbie said...

what a beautiful post to go with the beautiful painting! I wish you a Merry Christmas with your loved ones and a blessed New Year!

Sanja said...

A very happy and blessed holiday season to you and your family Marilyn!
Hugs
Sanja xox

Steph said...

This is a beutiful post Marilyn, Trust and Respect: we are all interconnected.....I wish you a very wonderful holiday season!!!