Quite awhile ago, a dear friend and I got together and worked on using Citra Solv with National Geograhic magazine pages. There are a few ways to apply the solvent (Youtube offers a number of videos on techniques) but my space is limited, here, so we brushed on the liquid using foam brushes. I had purchased a box of old National Geographic magazines off of Ebay and went through the pages to make sure I didn't want to keep the magazines or pages in tact. That is how I came to save my gorilla page (see older post). :)
This photo is an example of one of the pages that I treated with the Citra Solv. I love the fact that it leaves areas that can be brought out to create a whole new story. The house in the background was very hidden and I brought it out with a fine-point permanent sketch marker as well as the dancing couple. I used watercolors, stencils with molding paste for the flowers and the moon was created with a handmade stencil and gesso. I sketched in the face.
The original background had a lot of people working in a field and lots of tall grass. The Citra Solv kind of blends the ink around the page - it's a really cool effect.
My recommendation would be to do this in a well-ventilated area as ,even though the solvent is a natural cleaner, it has a very strong orange odor. And; while I love the smell of oranges, it can be over-powering in a small area. The orange aroma still lingers on the treated pages even after fully drying. That I kind of like :)
These pages make for wonderful background starts for journals, canvas, etc. I adhered the treated page to my journal using gel medium.
Thoughts of all of you and hope your week is going well for you. I can't thank you enough for your lovely feedback you leave for me, here, as it makes me feel good about what I am creating! I couldn't do what I do without you!
Much love - Marilyn xxoo
20 comments:
Good morning Marilyn. Thank you for the discussion of how you work with the Nat. Geo. backgrounds. It inspires me to play around and see what happens. The effect you have achieved on this piece is lovely.
Oh Marilyn, what a beautiful piece! Love how you tell stories with your artwork. Just lovely.
I have got to get some of this stuff. I keep reading about it and it looks so interesting. Your page is fabulous! I just love it!
Oh wow so romantic new page.
I love them. Great work as always.
I just saw a bottle of Citra Solve & that is the first time I had ever seen it in the store. I am going back to pick up a bottle! Love this piece, Marilyn!
Hugs, Diane
If I didn't know better I'd say you had painted this from scratch.
You use image transfer in such an imaginative form.
Stunning.
Wishes
Lynne
WOW!!!You are an very artist,work you the atc for trade?Great!!!!
I love the story that you weave in this piece as well. It is so romantic an mysterious, and your banner is gorgeous! roxanne
splendid page you created and the way you called back the images is brilliant M! really great effects!
I have a big pile of Nat'l Geo's that I CitraSolved and they are almost too nice to cover up LOL...mine don't have any things hiding waiting to be brought forward tho ;)
Hope you'll be enjoying some less humid air like we are due for here in VA...it makes all the difference!
oxo
Marilyn,
This is a beautiful journal page but it would also be a beautiful canvas......
I really enjoy reading how you accomplish this process...Amazing....
Thank you for all the kind comments you leave for me; I hold them close...
I have not tried Citra Solv but always am intrigued with the results. I do love the smell of oranges so that would help. It is the messiness I do not care for. Your page is wonderful and really does tell a story. Happy solving...
This is now a favorite of mine. Love how it tells a story without saying anything. Beautiful. I like using that citrosolv but the smell is soooo strong.
This page really sets a mood, Marilyn -- lovely!
Diane
Ooh I love your blog. I'm sure I must have been before because I recognise your name from somewhere - but why haven't I been a regular visitor. Well, that all changes now :)
I've heard of that citrasolv stuff. I don't think we have it in the UK though. Sounds like a fun technique. I love to experiment.
Marilyn....you are always so wonderful with sharing your wealth of information and you inspiration and techniques! This piece is beautiful!
Wow, Marilyn! I love this effect and hadn't heard of this technique before! I think I'd like to try it myself one day :)
I have yet to use my citra-solve I got for my birthday with this technique. As you may remember, I have done this technique several times before, but only with turpentine, which, the last time I did it, gave me a headache that lasted for two days. Although I have gotten good results from this technique, I have never used them for anything except backgrounds for collage. Your painting really made this paint beautiful. I was impressed, along with the colorful flowers. Thanks for sharing the process.
Sorry Marilyn. I must still be asleep. I should have written "Your painting really made this PIECE beautiful.
this is amazing! I love how you can incorporate photos with your painting. Your pieces are always such an inspiration!
Post a Comment