Monday, October 22, 2007

Drop and Drag.......................


Drop and Drag was the second exercise that we learned in the Karen Rosasco workshop last week. I loved it and it offers a real element of surprise.
Pretty much what it is, again working with Golden's Fluid Acrylics, you drop and swirl paint around watercolor paper (using 3 colors) and then apply a strip of one last color across the whole top sheet of the watercolor paper. Using a long, flat scraper tool, start dragging the paints downward. We actually used two sheets of watercolor paper and the bottom sheet was used to catch the last swipes of paint which we saved for a future project :)
What occurs are these wonderful and surprising shapes of colors and what we, as students, had to do was study the shapes and decide what we think the shapes represent. It took me awhile but I felt that my shapes looked like a bridge with tall buildings behind it. New York City, at night, came to my mind. The tricky part is once you decide what your shapes represent, you must paint around the shapes with a darker color to outline your painting.
We added line work by scraping with a cut-up credit card, I added some gold leaf in certain areas, some various lines with dimensional paint, masked the building areas and splattered some gold metallic paint on the sky with a toothbrush.
For some final embellishments, I stamped the word LIVE and added a script stamp to bottom right. I really love this technique and plan on creating more!
Artfully yours.....................Marilyn

8 comments:

Viola said...

Marilyn, this is so great again!
Such a wonderful piece.Super!!

NANCY C. said...

nurse123
Marilyn
What incredible work !!!
I love what you did with both of these techniques. I can see the city and the stars sparkling on a clear night.A real Wowser as you would say !!!!!!!! I can imagine this framed and sealed with Claires technique !

Kerri Jean said...

these colors are so vibrant and amazing marilyn!!! I actually do see a cityscape, and perhaps the arch of a bridge as you look at Manhattan or Brooklyn from the mainland. Gorgeous. I love the use of objects for texture too!!!

Anonymous said...

wow wow wow... Marilyn... this is soooo cool... I love the colors and how it made the look of NY...

Patti G. said...

Marilyn,
This is amazing! Reading the technique was super and I can imagine it might have been a bit daunting to try it , but look at the gggggggggreat results! I think it is sooooooo beauituful and I love the look! I clicked on it to see it closer! Just beautiful!
Hugs,Patti

Gaby Bee said...

Wow, what a gorgeous piece of art. I love the texture and the vibrant colors! Great!!!

Sanja said...

Marylin..you artwork is absolutely stunnig. Love the colors and texture too.

Greetings
Sanja

vicci said...

This is cool Marilyn...you can always find really cool 'scraping' tools at Home Depot in the paint department! Your 1st package is on the way Sweetie...Finally! XXOO