Sunday, August 24, 2008

"Midnight in Beijing", 8 x 10, Acrylic/Mixed Media



It's hard to believe today is the closing of the Olympics. I've really enjoyed watching them when I could. I think I will always remember the Opening Ceremonies; what a mix of artistic and technological splendor!

This is a picture of a mixed-media painting I just completed today. It's done on 300 lb. hot-press watercolor paper with acrylics and some collage elements.

I taught a class on Saturday called "Two for One" where I shared with students how to create an abstract painting using just two colors of acrylic paints. This piece was my start for teaching purposes. I brought it home and decided to create a finished painting with it in honor of the Olympics. :)

I hope you're all having a fun weekend and hope your week, ahead, is good to you!

Thank you for visiting! Much love - Marilyn xxoo

21 comments:

Kerri Jean said...

gorgeous painting Marilyn. Love the choice of vivid and contrasting colors, and the mix of hard and soft edges.

Heather Robinson said...

Marilyn, this is stunning. Once again, I am wishing that I could take courses from you because I love the idea of only using two colours to create a piece. This one is so full of detail and captures the mystique and vibrancy of this year's Olympics so well.

Femmy said...

fabulous piece Marilyn! the two colours you chose are absolutely marvellous! and so much to see on this painting!

bockel24 said...

Love your painting, Marilyn, it has really powerful colours!

Joy Logan said...

WOW nice colors composition etc!! Very fab!

Evidence of an Artistic Life said...

Wow! This is incredible. Two colors??? You need to write a book-I need to learn from you! The colors, the depth, the techniques!!!! I am in awe!
hugs chris

Gaby Bee said...

Your painting is gorgeous, Marilyn. The two vibrant colors you chose are simply stunning! I really love them!

DJ said...

This is great, Marilyn! The colors are so vibrant!

Sanja said...

this is amazing,Marilyn!Love your work !
xoxo

Anonymous said...

I love this painting Marilyn is beautiful I adore the colour choices very vivid and cheerful and Energetic just like the Olympics.
Hope you are well also
Love from sesga xx

Joy Logan said...

Thanks for adding me of course you may! I am adding your link to mine now

Lorri said...

What a wonderfully appropriate and gorgeous piece of work.. Stunning, i love the colour combo :)

deb said...

I just love this piece Marilyn.

I've given you an award, details are over on my blog.

Viola said...

Stunning work, Marilyn! Love the colors, so wonderful!!!

Laura said...

A Very powerful piece, Marilyn!!

Patti G. said...

This came out bbbeautifully Marilyn! I am sorry I missed it early this week! I too loved the Olympics and this is a wonderful piece to honor the joy you shared in watching! WONDERFUL!
Hugs,Patti

Anonymous said...

Oh man... Marilyn...this is very cool.... I love love love it... you ROCK....as usual... Laura

Jacky said...

I love this piece Marilyn and especially since you have finished it in honour of the Beijing Olympics! Beautiful work (would love to take one of these classes with you).

Congrats on your award too... lots of wonderful art and inspiration on your blog.

Anonymous said...

Marilyn...this takes my breath away. it is gorgeous and those colors are stunning. Love the whole thing :)

Alexandra said...

Marilyn your painting is stunning. Fantastic work.

TonyaA said...

This is a beautiful piece. I love the colors you used.