
Yupo; when I first heard this word, out in the art world, I just could not imagine what it was. The word, itself, is a little funny.
I joined an art league, in my area recently, and I started hearing this word more and more and my curiosity got the best of me. I just had to ask.
Needless to say, I am now taking Yupo lessons!
Yupo is watercoloring on synthetic paper and I am learning from a friend, of mine, who is an experienced "Yupoist" (my word) :) and we get together, when we can, and she so patiently has been giving me instructions. Along, with her instructions, she has loaned me a couple of instructional DVD's so I can have something, on hand, here at home to refer to.
While I mainly work with fluid acrylics, Yupo has re-sparked my interest in watercolors! I used to take watercolor workshops, years ago, and never really got the hang of it.
The Yupo paper is actually a polypropylene material and originally was used for making signs. It's wild to watercolor on it! It is so forgiving and there are wonderful textural techniques to apply (which I love) and I can stamp on it, too, and the whites, in the paintings, are created merely by agitation! You don't even need white paint!
This is a picture of my very first Yupo painting! It's a little elementary but I really had a ball working on this. I can change anything I want to, when I want to, without too much trouble. The hardest part, for me, is getting used to doing a lot of "negative" painting.
I think I'm going to call this painting........."Outside My Window".
Thank you so much for visiting; your lovely and supportive comments are always appreciated.
I hope you are all having a good week! Much love, Marilyn
9 comments:
Marilyn, this looks to be a vvvvvvery fun and interesting technique! The whole thing is done in watercolor? AMAZING really! Do you draw as well, and then watercolor or does it all just fall together as you move through the process?? VERY colorful and beautiful! Hugs,Patti
Very interesting! I've seen Yupo and heard about it, but not tried it for anything. Looks like you are quickly picking it up!
amazing,Marilyn!
bwd..... I have nominated you for an award on my blog:-)
I have never heard of Yupo, but it looks like fun! Very nice painting.
Beautiful piece, Marilyn! Have a great weekend!
Dig it! Hugs Marilyn for being such a nice loyal blog buddy. I lose my commentors left and right lately,sigh.
Beautiful work Marilyn!!! and thanks for explaining the word Yupo, never heard of it!!
Oh my goodness...I've never heard of Yupo before but you can be sure I'll be googling it after seeing your wonderful piece and reading about your experienced with the technique.
Yupo sounds very interesting...might have to look into that further.
Love your first Yupo !!!
Post a Comment