Monday, April 13, 2009

"Break the Rules"..................


I love the words "Break the Rules" especially when it applies to my art :)

Here are two pictures of a sketch I did in my book. I'm probably not using this new sketchbook, of mine, in the correct manner. First off, I cannot just leave the sketch ya know? I have to color it, or stamp around it, add paints, and words. I think a sketchbook is really meant to do just what the word stands for. However, breaking the rules is so freeing in artwork isn't it?

The first picture, here, is of a sketch I did from a photo which I found to be quite difficult. Truthfully, I have no idea who this guy is. I got it out of a collage pack I had, here, from an exchange I was involved in a long time ago.

Another truth; I am not happy with the sketch I did - find it a little elementary. There are parts I like and others, well; let's just say I was very challenged. Drawing is very difficult, for me, and I try to focus too much on the face - noses are hard, eyes, lips, etc. This guy had one of those tiny goatees and his skin was very rough. But; I gave it a good go.

Now; the thing I do like is the second picture where I threw this completed sketch into photoshop and played around, a bit, with it. It kind of hides those "flaws" in my sketching that I just didn't like.

I hope you all had an enjoyable weekend and wish you a safe, happy, and artful week ahead.

Thinking of you all...............................Much love - Marilyn xxoo

5 comments:

Kerri Jean said...

You? Break the rules? I am shocked (ha ha). You're a tough critic, woman! This sketch is wonderful. I like both versions. I think sketchbooks are about playing, experimenting - not about the finished product but the process - and if that process includes coloring, stamping, etc. then go for it!!!

Diane J. Evans said...

I've read countless articles that tell you to break out the paints when it comes to entering something in your journal -- you're SUPPOSED to have fun with it and throw all the color at it you want! They're both wonderful, Marilyn -- you've given me incentive to put some drawings of mine into Photoshop and see what emerges!

Diane

Femmy said...

they are both beautiful marilyn!!

Peggy Beck said...

Marilyn. I always thought there were no rules in art. Have I been mislead? LOL. I love both these sketches and the additional markings are pieces of your soul put there to embellish this young man. Very nice.

Anonymous said...

I love you bird piece--the colors! Scrumptious. And regarding sketching...who amoung us is happy with our sketches???!! But I am living PROOF that you get better, the more you do it. BTW, I thought the sketches were pretty dang good. Faces are very hard.