
In my previous post, I shared that I now have a sketchbook. I am really enjoying it and today decided to work on the cover; 'cause we all know we just can't leave something plain - lol! The first picture, here, is my cover. I couldn't get a great picture, of it, but it's got a lot of dyed cheesecloth on it, transfers, and stamping. I used lots of Shiva oil sticks, Gold Rub 'n Buff, Lumieres, pastels, and finished it off with that Delta Ceramcoat Instant Age Varnish which I am just loving! It goes on very wet but when dry, leaves a really nice aged and antique look. I use it a lot in my altered book spreads. You can use a number of coats, too.The second picture is of another sketch I did in the book. This was done at Panera's, of all places, and if you're not familiar, Panera's is a cafe, restaurant, bakery and they offer great food, casual setting with wireless access! Can't beat that. I treated myself to a cup of coffee this morning with a danish. I had an appt., there, so while waiting, decided to pop out my sketchbook. I caught two ladies sitting at a bench-type seat chatting. It looked like they were waiting for someone as they were sitting there for the longest time.
I got a rough sketch, of them, and when I got home, worked on completing it as best I could. I then decided to treat the page with oil pastels, pan pastels, some distress ink, stencil, splattering, etc. - you name it, it's in there :) I took the ladies out of their element at Panera's but there was no way I'd be able to draw what was around them! :)
This was a tough one, for me, as they both had glasses on and the angle was awkward. I call this page "The Chat".
I compare the sketchbook to the feeling I get when I'm working on an altered book. It's very freeing and I can do what I want, in it, and call it my own.
Wishing you all a great day and week ahead. Stay safe and happy!
Thank you always for your constant support, lovely comments, creativity and friendships. Without you and the inspiration you offer me, I couldn't do what I do! Thanks for the "wings" :)
Love, Marilyn
9 comments:
Marilyn,
Your cover is gorgeous...like the depth. I am impressed with your 'ladies' sketch! I cannot believe you could set them in a completely different background! I have recently taken up sketching, and find it hard to 'alter' anything but what's there! Great job.
I am LOVING your sketch book Marilyn and feel that you will be able to express your views through your drawing and it will feel great to see your talents coming out and growing daily with each drawing! How mmmmmmmmarvelous! I wish I had time to do this! I think it would be scary but fun!!!! New adventures right?? GREAT for you!
Hugs,Patti
Marilyn, you give ME wings to explore the unfamiliar when you share your adventures with all of us. I feel renewed and I want to go into my studio and play -- your spirit brings that feeling out in me, perhaps because we're kindred Capricorn souls. Don't ever stop playing -- your results are enchanting.
Diane
Loving the cover. I am always drawn to your use of textures and colors. And I love "the chat". I love the way you captured their postures and the way they are engaging each other. You can feel the casual intimacy of them both.
Your front cover is gorgeous, so much depth of colour and texture.
Your sketch is amazing, I envy anyone who can draw.
it's perfect!! the ladies one is really great!!
Marilyn, you so amaze me with your ability to capture these moments in time that we all so readily relate to. (The two women)
The sketchbook is wonderful too. I've had one and use it occassionally, but never decorated the cover! Maybe, just maybe, you have inspired me "again".
Peggy
Gorgeous sketch book Marilyn.Love the texture.
Happy Easter !:-)
xo
Sanja
What a wonderful book.
Post a Comment