

These are pictures of pages in my sketchbook journal. I turned to these, yesterday, as a bit of a release from the busy weekend.
As I was unpacking my stuff from my demo for the show, I was possessive of a few of my favorite nature elements that I was using for prints for the workshop. I noticed that the layers of paint, on them, seemed to preserve the leaves and ferns a bit so I decided to use them as elements in my journal pages. I adhered them with soft gel and then added a couple of layers of the gel over the leaves. I'm wondering how long they will last?
I was thinking of putting a layer of wax over them. Anyone have any thoughts or tips on preserving these natural elements? Isn't there a technique with ironing them between wax paper? I would appreciate your thoughts as I always do :)
I wish you all a good start to your week; be safe and happy.
Love to all..........................Marilyn xxoo
14 comments:
I wish I had some tips for you, instead I just have kudos! Your art here is beautiful! Thanks for keeping up with my blog and being so supportive of my art as well! Your compliments mean so much!
Marilyn, I will be no help either! I would think the gel medium should seal them up well and preserve them. I laminated some leaves in the past, and they did well, but that was not in mixed media! Your pieces here in your journal are bbbbbbbbbeautiful and for however long they hold up, will be appreciated!
Hugs,Patti
Thelma, Honey... Leaves and flowers wrapped in wax paper and pressed between the pages of a heavy book (I have a HUGE encyclopedic dictionary) works quite well to preserve color. I have some two-year-old leaves and hydrangeas flattened out in that dictionary right now. I think wax or gel medium (applied gently) ought to cap off the preservation process when attached to a canvas or a journal page...
Love, Louise
LOVE the word "happificate"! May I borrow it?! It works with the piece just beautifully. You are an amazing artist. Hope all went well for you at the show this weekend.
Love, Diane
I used to wax leaves all the time in the fall by melting parafin and brushing it lightly - and then also dipping the stem in a bit of it to seal them off. The didn't last forever, but they did last a long time (years.) Not sure if beeswax would be better. My instincts tell me yes because it dries harder. Parafin is soft, so some of the deterioration comes from the fact that you can scratch it easily with just a fingernail... in any event I love that you incorporated Mother Nature's creations into your own.
These are beautiful! I tried the beeswax one time, but I don't think I did it right, as it never hardened. Maybe I was too impatient? I hope you figure it out and if you do, maybe you could share?
Marilyn, this are so wonderful, great pages,
when I use natural objects, I paint modge podge over it,
have a nice week
wow marilyn!! these are stunning!! what a great colorcombo!!
Just glorious Marilyn!! i think that pressing for a bit in a heavy book and then sealing with mod podge or gel medium will be your best bet. The key would be to get as much moisture out as possible and then seal them in beeswax or polymer to slow down the chemical reactions. Removing the moisture first is key, I think. this is the "Scientist in a Previous life" talking- life before kids. Sometimes I can call up the little grey cellls to work for me!!! HA!!! HA!!!!!
Love your pieces!!
Hugs!
Elizabeth
Wow, these pages are terrific! So well done with perfect details. The colors are fantastic and all the nature elements make it just perfect.
Gaby xo
hi marilyn, i just came across a work that i did probably close to a couple of years ago and I had collaged a flower and some leaves into an acrylic painting. I'm pretty sure i just picked them and collaged them in. it's just been sitting here in my studio and is still in pretty good shape. they haven't broken down at all so i'd say it was a good bet to use a few coats of gel medium and that will work. Happy painting! c.
I wish I knew something about preserving them but I know nothing, lol. these pages are gorgeous as are the leaves.
Fabulous work, Marilyn! Just gorgeous!!
Wow Marilyn what a beautiful work!!
Post a Comment