Monday, June 8, 2009

"Secret Life of the Flowers"


At the nature preserve show, I was involved in a few weeks ago, a man asked me if I could do a small canvas as a birthday present for his wife. I normally don't do florals as they are as difficult, for me, as drawing a face :) But; I just felt like challenging myself and agreed to do the commission. The man is a neighbor, of mine, and I felt a little more comfortable trying this with someone that I know.

This is a picture of the result. This is actually done on a wood panel which is also a first for me. Gee; I guess I felt like torturing myself - hahahahaha. My neighbor's wife loves Irises and that is what was requested. It's truly mixed media with acrylic painting, pastels, collage using handmade papers, lots of layering and I hope my neighbor's wife is happy with this.

My Iris subject was from a photo I took and now that I look back at the photo, this doesn't look anything like it :) But; it was a good subject for a starting point - it's kind of like a fantasy flower wouldn't you think? :) I really enjoyed this!

Thank you all for visiting and, again, your support, friendships and lovely words are always so appreciated!

Have a joyous week! Love, Marilyn

13 comments:

Diane J. Evans said...

Oh, Marilyn, how beautiful! Irises are among my favorite flowers -- something about them says "elegance." And you captured that perfectly!

Diane

Carol Q said...

ooh - what a lovely riot of colour Marilyn. I would love to see this on a plain white wall - wouldn't it shout out?

Debbie said...

I love irises and yours is sooo pretty!

Patti G. said...

Marilyn,
Your irises came out beautifully!!!!! I am sure that your neighbors wife will be moved!!!!! So wonderful! The butterfly is a great addition and the label in metal too! Awesome!
Hugs,Patti

Poetic Artist said...

This is beautiful..The Irises look like the one out in the gardens.
Your neighbor will be very happy with this.The color is also beautiful.
Katelen

ute said...

wow Marilyn, so great colors and flowers, a wonderful artwork

Gaby Bee said...

Your irises are marvelouse. I'm sure your neighbor will be happy with this. Love the vibrant colors! Dreamy!!!
Gaby xo

Barb said...

Hi Marilyn, luv your iris piece - stunning! :)
Barb

Tabitha said...

beautiful! i love the colors and purple is my favorite...I'm sure she'll be impressed

Peggy Beck said...

Marilyn, it just goes to show you can do anything you set your mind to. Great painting. Hope the neighbor loves it. Colors are magnificent.

Viola said...

Fabulous!! The colors are sooo great!!! :o)

Laura Haviland said...

Marilyn, oh so talented amazing "Marilyn", this is beautiful !!
Hugs, Laura.

Connie said...

Your painting turned out really lovely Marilyn! I'm sure your neighbor was delighted!
connie