Friday, November 20, 2009

Silhouettes.................:)


I am finally getting to my art journal. In a previous post I shared the cover of it and accompanied the photo with a resolution, of sorts, that I would work on a page every day! Well; that has gone by the wayside-lol! Maybe this is why I don't make New Year's resolutions; too much pressure and I don't really stick to any of them - I just can't as life happens right? :)

What inspired me to get to working on a page, in the journal, is I happened to pick up an issue of a Somerset Studio publication called Art Journaling. It is the Autumn 2009 edition. I think it's a pretty cool publication.

In this issue, I was inspired by an article written by Dina Wakley.

Dina's article addressed her use of silhouettes as an inclusion in her art journaling. I fell in love with this! Pretty much what it is, is finding interesting images in magazines, from ephemera, personal photos,rubber stamps, etc. The key is finding an image that offers an interesting pose for a silhouette. Cut out the figure and use it as a mask in your art! Brilliant! You can spray over with acrylics or inks - anything goes and when you lift the figure up, you have created a wonderful silhouette from which to work with. I love writing messages within the figure with Pitt pens, adding some color and pencil marks with graphite - kind of take this technique and make it your own. I think what I need to get is a repositional adhesive spray or get a respositional Xyron cartridge for use with this technique - hmmmmmmmmmmm. Another art supply! Oh well - what's one more :)

The picture, here, is of my first attempt at a silhouette inclusion in my page. It is from an old sheet music piece I had and I printed the page and then cut out this figure. I loved how she appears to be opening up the umbrella.

I also added some stenciling with this page, stamping with household textural pieces, adding stamped quotes, etc. What a fun exercise.

This may call for a future art exchange idea with ATC's! What do you think????

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend ahead; be safe and happy!

Love to all - Marilyn xxoo


22 comments:

sharon said...

Marilyn! Your art takes my breath away!! This is so gorgeous!! I will need to try this technique if you don't mind, and will definelty check out that issue of Somerset. I am all about an ATC exchange if you decide to do one! You have inspired me again! Hugs!!

Sandy said...

Woooooooooooow this is fantastic.
Incredible piece of art. Looks great.

Have a great weekend my friend.

Lori Saul said...

Wonderful work on this page - lovely silhouette . The colors and feel is very impressionistic and beautiful!

Gaby Bee said...

Marilyn I know I say it every time, but this is gorgeous... makes me want to go straightaway into my artroom :-)
An ATC exchange would be great, but by the end of this year I filled up with swaps and projects.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Hugs, Gaby

Diane J. Evans said...

What a great idea! Can't wait to try it on fabric!

Diane

Martina said...

Great work on this page, dear Marilyn! Beautifully done, and very artistic as well!
Have a wonderful weekend!
Cheers
MARTINA :-)

Kerri Jean said...

Great page. and I am oh so familiar with the "every day" promise. Yes, life just happens!

Jacky said...

Beautiful piece Marilyn...love this technique (will check if I have that issue).
I did some work with silhouettes cut out of magazines a few years back in a workshop with Misty Mawn. Loved it....thanks for reminding me, I might lay along with that one too.

Have a lovely weekend.

Jacky xox

Terri Kahrs said...

Oh, Marilyn! I happen to have that copy of Art Journaling and saw this technique. Wow! You've done an awesome job of making it your own. Gorgeous! Hugs, Terri xoxo

johanna said...

this looks totally cool!! must check the magazine and try this, too!

jgr said...

Hi Marilyn,
This page is wonderful! Rich and colorful. I'm going to try the silhouette idea, too. ALso, I love the idea of an ATC exchange! I have just become addicted to ATC's ha!

Elizabeth said...

Marilyn!! This is just fabulous!! I must say that your piece has inspired me much more than the article. I have the mag but seeing your take on it has really gotten my juices flowing so to speak!! I have so much work to do to get things wrapped up for Holiday sales but this technique goes to the top of my list for the January playtime. I do so look forward to January as the pressure is off and I can play and try new things!!!
As soon as I saw your piece I thought of Eliza Doolittle from My Fair Lady! Must be the hat and the umbrella and the colors that you chose!!
Big Hugs!
And great thanks for the inspiration!!
Elizabeth

Caterina Giglio said...

love the understated use of color and the composition of this Marilyn! the silhouette is wonderful and using the figure for the writing is inspired! xo

Patti G. said...

Very beautiful Marilyn! Love the silhoutte technique and your artful piece showcasing your style of it! Wonderful my friend!
Hugs,Patti

Poetic Artist said...

Marilyn,
This is wonderful. I may have to give this a try also.

Peggy Beck said...

I am so in love with this page. Surely you will do more. It's right up your alley and mine. Love it!

Sugar Lump Studios said...

Good Morning Marilyn
your silhouttes collage is soooo gorgeous! I love the colors you selected for this piece..and the way you created the silhouette using the text is such a cool effect! Hope you have an awesome week and Happy Thanksgiving!

Deb L. said...

Another wonderful piece - am particularly taken with that magenta coloring :0) Now you've gotten me inspired to go do some journal work... thanks! I have been feeling rather blank lately! xox

ute said...

Marilyn, this is so gorgeous and wonderful,
what a great idea, you have inspired me

Femmy said...

fantastic piece!! great colors!!

Viola said...

Stunning piece, Marilyn! :)

Unknown said...

I want to try this technique as well. I read the article and was inspired. Beautiful!