Friday, March 5, 2010

I'm back with March's Guest Artist of the Month :)



It is SO good to be back to blogging! I've missed all of you! I've tried, to keep as up-to-date as I could without hogging my husband's little net book computer. But; today I finally got my computer back from the shop and it's all better again!

I've also been babysitting my darling granddaughter, Sophia, who came down with a nasty stomach bug early in the week. I've spent every day, with her, and already miss her. But; she's well on the way to feeling better and it was a privilege spending that time with her. That baby's smile is a healer!

I thought it fitting that my first post back would be to introduce you to a new artist. Meet a dear friend, of mine, Claire Maziarczyk (pictured here). I had the opportunity to meet Claire a few years back and I'm fortunate because she doesn't live far from me :). She makes her own paste paper and sells it off of her website as well as in some local shops in the area. Her beautiful papers were being sold in a local art store that I was teaching in at the time; I was instantly attracted to Claire's papers! Beauteous. One of my favorite lines is her "Monet" paper - just as it sounds!

There are two samples, here, of Claire's art work for you to enjoy.

I met Claire, in person, not long after purchasing her papers and had the privilege of taking one of her paste paper workshops! It was fabulous and I love incorporating the papers in my artwork when I can. Claire and I shared an instant connection; and her sense of humor - well; it's right up my alley and we still get together, when we can to catch up and share some happy moments. Here are links to Claire's websites:
www.pastepaperpatterns.com (decorative paper line)
www.clairemaziarczyk.com (art work)
www.inkasart.com (posters)

Without further ado, here is my interview with Claire. Enjoy!

M-Claire; please tell us a little bit about yourself and your background.
C-I grew up in rural Northeast Pennsylvania. I went to Wilkes University and graduated with a BA with certification to teach K-12 art. I taught in public schools in New Jersey for 2 years before moving to New York City and Hoboken, NJ. During that time period I worked at Cooper Union School of Art as a print shop technician and at Center for Book Arts as a bookbinder and administrative assistant. In late 1981, I started making paste papers and continue to this day.

M-If you could choose one word to describe your art, what would it be?
C-One word to describe my art is a tough question. It would have to be COLOR!

M-You offer some wonderful workshops, one of which I had taken; your paste paper workshop. Do you have a preference for what art form you teach?
C- I am not sure I have a preference for what I teach, just so long as it involves art. My current teaching at Sunnyview Rehabilitation Hospital's Studio Art Program has given me the opportunity to paint and draw again. I enjoy the challenge of creating lesson plan that will be appropriate for all of my students. The prep for my 2 classes each week pushes my creativity in ways I never anticipated.

M-How did it first come about for you to start making paste papers?
C-My paste papers began as a response to the lack of ph neutral and archival decorative papers in the book binding area. I started selling my papers to art supply stores in New York City. Both NY Central and Talas continue to sell my entire line of papers. I also create a number of custom papers for Vicki Schober Company. They sell primarily to the picture framing market. Over the years, my papers both custom and standard patterns have been on first edition books such as John Updike's Witches of Eastwick and Roger's Version. I have to thank Steve Miller and Ken Botnick of Red Ozier Press for giving me my first commission. It is because of their confidence in me that I started keeping coppious notes about my paint mixes and pattern execution. Many other small presses have also used my papers for their limited edition books. Ellen Weldon Design in New York City uses a great deal of my papers for wedding invitations and parties. I have been amazed at the number of celebrities that have had my papers used on their personal stationery or event invitations. It is a kick!

M-You also exhibit your art; I have been to a few of your exhibits and have been quite impressed (not surprised) :). Do you enjoy exhibiting?
C-I do enjoy exhibiting my art. I find it a great opportunity for dialogue with other artists and the general public. It is an opportunity to teach another viewpoint without using the spoken word. It also gets me out of the studio!

M-Many feel art is therapy; and I, for one, agree. What are your feelings about this?
C-Regarding art therapy, I believe the act of creating is beneficial for everyone. As I witness each week at Sunnyview, the 2 hours my students are with me is 2 hours that is totally about them as individuals. They can get lost in the act of creating. It is a great stress release as well and enjoyable and educational. I find it meditative for myself.

M-Thank you Claire for this opportunity to interview you for my monthly Blog feature. It was a pleasure and even I learned a little bit more about wonderful YOU! xxoo

I hope you all enjoyed meeting Claire. I'm going to spend some time, this weekend, catching up with your Blogs to see what you all have been creating. I have Part II of my Art Journal workshop, this weekend, with Kerri Posson. We are looking forward to it so it will be a busy weekend.

In meantime, hope you and yours are all well. I've missed you and will enjoy catching up.

Coming soon.................Blog giveaway!


Much love to all! Marilyn xxoo (who is happy she has her computer back)






15 comments:

Caterina Giglio said...

Great interview, as always! nice to meet Claire... so good to have you back in the blogosphere, Marilyn, I wondered where you were! oh and glad Sophia is well! xo

Diane said...

Love this interview, Marilyn. I went to her paper site--absolutely gorgeous papers!!

Createology said...

Welcome back Marilyn. We missed you. Nice to learn about Claire and her paste papers. I will take a look at her sites. So thankful that Sophia is doing better. How wonderful that you were able to take good care of her. Granddaughters are the best! Enjoy your busy weekend.

Terri Kahrs said...

Welcome back, Marilyn!!!! It's good to know that you're OK and that Sophia is "in the pink" again. Thank you for this great interview. Claire's work is amazing! Have a super weekend! Hugs, Terri xoxo

Buffy said...

Glad you got your computer back,loved the interview,I'm going to go and check out Claires sites now.

~*~Patty S said...

You were missed M! Happy that little Sophia is in the pink again!
Lovely interview, it's always exciting to "meet" new artists!
Have a lovely weekend!
oxo
p.s. Hip Hip Hooray for computers that work!

Jill Zaheer said...

Glad you're back and your computer's fixed. It is so frustrating when our computers aren't working. Glad your beautiful Sohpia is feeling better and what a wonderful interview and opportunity to meet Claire. I never heard of paste paper ( don't laugh) so this was a real treat- and loved looking at her websites. Those colors on her papers are amazing. Thanks so much for stopping by. Look forward to more of your wonderful portraits- all so unique!

Femmy said...

glad you are back Marilyn!!
love the intervieuw.
Have a good weekend!!

Martina said...

Oh, yes Marilyn, that`s a nightmare if you don`t have a computer:-)I can understand.
I`m happy that you`re back here.
Have a nice weekend.
Cheers
MARTINA xxx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

So glad you are BAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK. Your posts were sorely missed, as was your humor.

Claire's work is awesome. I've made some paste paper, and it sure didn't turn out anywhere near hers. I'm glad you featured her, or I never would have found her web site. Her art is so stunning because it is geometric, something I love. She has a definite sense of color and composition. Your interview with her was quite interesting. Nice to read her answers to your thoughtful questions. Watch out, or you'll be replacing one of the network anchors.

Glad to hear about Sophia. I'm sure you were worried at first, but glad to read she's on the mend.

Laura Haviland said...

Marilyn really enjoy the Guest artist for March...
Great great great interview !!
I am so glad you are back and missed you so much.
NOT THE SAME WITHOUT YOU...
The question you asked me, a thousand times "yes" sweet friend. LOL I replied to your e-mail ??
I never assume at this age now, hahaha. I wanted to get back to you asap.
you can get me at this e-mail best.
littlesparkles@yahoo.ca
Love ya lots, Hugs Laura. xoxx
Have an awesome day .....

Laura Haviland said...

Sorry me again Marilyn...
I am not going to be a good older lady. hahahaha.
This is correct e-mail addy.
littlesparklesblue@yahoo.ca
That is correct, LOL.
Hugs Laura. xoxx

Patti G. said...

Marilyn,
Claire is a wonderful guest artist and was fun reading her artful background and information about the paste paper,they are beautiful!

So glad your computer is back and that Sophia is feeling better! Much going on--you are a busy artful Grandma! :0)
Hugs,Patti

Poetic Artist said...

Glad you are back and thank you for the interview with Claire.

Kerri Jean said...

Great interview. I've seen Claire's papers and I love her perspective.