Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Laura Haviland; Guest Artist of the Month.....April



I love Blogging! There are many reasons why I do but the #1 reason is the wonderful connections I've made and am still making through the art of Blogging. And; I do believe that Blogging is an art! I could go on and on about how I feel about Blogging but this post is not about me.

For those of you who do not know of Laura Haviland and her art, I'd like to introduce you to her. Laura and I had one of those "instant connections" through our mutual admiration for our art and words and we keep, in touch, as we can and I just adore Laura's enthusiasm for her artwork and what it means to her. I happen to think she has a magical way of bringing art dolls to life.

Laura has a lovely Blog

The name of her Blog is Creative Whispers which I think is amazing and if you read her introduction, here, I think you'll see how she came about choosing the name. :)

I highly recommend checking it out to scroll through her Blog and you will see what I see; wonderful art dolls with stories that relate to her inspiration. So; without further ado, I'd like to introduce you to the amazing Laura Haviland:

M-Laura; first I'd like to say how honored I am for the opportunity to interview you and have you as April's Guest Artist of the Month. Thank you! Please give us a little background info. on yourself and when and how your art journey began.
L-My name is Laura Haviland. I am a Mixed-Media Artist. Creating artwork is a big part of who I am. I live a very quiet life in the province of Ontario, Canada. I am the wife of a hard-working seventh generation farmer, mother of two wonderful teenagers, and, I have two adventurous bengal cats. Before I met my husband, I lived in Toronto, ON. I really enjoyed my career, it was another form of creating art. The Estee Lauder customers clean faces were my art canvas to create upon. I loved my job, it was a great challenge everyday. Life is always changing and it was time to move from the big city. I met my farmer husband and moved to the country. It was an excellent place to start a family. Ever since I was a little girl, I have enjoyed creating different kinds of art. I used to sketch odd cartoon characters. Some years after, I was married, I had to have back surgery. While I was recovering from the surgery, my husband suggested that I take a tole painting class to help the use of my fine motor skills to return in my hands. I was immediately thrilled with this new painting hobby and it was a success. I tole painted for many years but there were new little whispers entering into my art thoughts. I was thinking of trying this new art called stamping, creating traditional homemade cards. Then you can guess what happened; I was hooked on rubber stamping. It was just the beginning of becoming a loosey-goosey artist rather than a pantie folder artist that stays within the lines.

M-If you had to choose three words to describe your artistic style, what would they be?
L-To describe my art style, I will need to use four words: "out of the box".

M-You seem to really enjoy art dolls. Has this always been? I know every time I see them, on your Blog, they just come alive for me. That takes a lot of creativity and talent to do that.
L-I did not start out creating Art Dolls in the beginning. Back in the year 2002, I was shopping at our local stamping supply store. Unfortunately, due to health reasons the store is now closed; it was a lot of fun. The owner of the store would share her magazines and let you sign them out to take home. I had no idea that day shopping at this store, change was in the air. I opened a magazine called "The Stampers Sampler". Well; I came to a page with a featured Mixed-Media artist Catherine Moore. I had never seen unique art work like hers; they were these funky art dolls, too. The unusual art dolls were wearing corsets and boots. I thought to myself, this is the kind of art style where I will fit in well (no rules-LOL!). I enjoy all different mixed media art but, art dolls are my first passion.

M-I see you are on the Design Team for Catherine Moore.
How did this come about for you? Your creative mind and spirit seem to be a wonderful marriage with Catherine's rubber stamp line.
L-Thank you, Marilyn, I appreciate your lovely comments. I received an email from Catherine inviting me to be a part of her Design Team. It comes so easy to create with Catherine's unique art stamp collection. I have been an admirer of her art stamps and an avid collector.

M-What gives you inspiration for your art dolls? Is it the rubber stamps, themselves, or do they call to your inner child? I notice, on your Blog, you seem to always have a story with your dolls and I find it fascinating.
L-My inspiration comes from so many creative ideas in my surrounding environment. I am often told I have a huge imagination (this makes me giggle). I am so inspired by nature on my daily walk, artwork in "Stampington Magazine" and follow artists' fabulous blogs. I love using the colors of the ocean in my art work and sometimes very bold colors depending on my mood. The rubber stamps do call to my inner child, that is, for sure. I will never grow up and enjoy childrens' fairytales very much. Every art doll I created seems to have its own little personality and they all tell their own story when completed. I try to give them all a uniqueness with a different theme and I create them from that visual idea.

M-You have a lovely Blog, called Creative Whispers, which I've linked above. You have many followers, which is not surprising, and I, for one, am a HUGE fan! Do you enjoy Blogging and what are some of the benefits you've gained from the activity?
L-I truly enjoy Blogging; it is so rewarding in many ways. At first I did not feel ready to create my Blog. It was a big step for me. A very dear and best friend, of mine, from Ontario, suggested it was time to create a Blog so I agreed. I can never thank my friend enough for helping me and my computer savvy daughter. My daughter goes off to school in the Fall, so she will not be here to help me with computer questions. I am very happy for my daughter; a new door is opening in her life. Anyway; I had no idea how fun creating a blog would be. It has been a completely positive experience in so many surprising ways. I have made so many incredible and talented friends. It is such a delight sharing a little piece of yourself through your art work. I can't say thank you enough for all the thoughtful and kind comments that are left to read on my blog. They are all so special, to me, and I love reading everyone of them. They give me the biggest smile on my face when I receive them and make me want to try harder to challenge myself to grow as an artist on my creative journey.

I enjoy visiting all of your blogs, there are so many talented artists among us. With that thought on my mind and speaking of talented artists, I want to say a big thank you to the awesome Marilyn Rock for this wonderful opportunity. I feel so blessed to have such a dear friend and her name truly says it all..."she rocks". Thank you again lovely Marilyn................Hugs, Laura xxoo

M-Thank you for your words; you are so kind and we truly share the same feelings about each other. Thank you SO much for this interview and it was a pleasure to have you here as a guest artist on my Blog. I do hope everyone will pay a visit to your Blog to see your creative art dolls that come alive with your creative talents!

End of interview.

I am wishing everyone a wonderful weekend ahead; our weather, here, is supposed to turn warm and sunny! It will be so welcome from the past three days of gray and rain. My heart goes out to the people in Rhode Island for suffering through terrible flooding; I am hoping things will improve there over the next few days. Keeping positive thoughts.

Much love to all! -Marilyn xxoo



28 comments:

Tolegranny said...

Excellent interview with my dear friend Laura. She rocks too.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What an amazing interview. What I love about reading your interviews is the questions aren't canned, but have forethought and are tailored to what you believe your readers will want to know. Such talent is hard to find, dear Marilyn. To say you are good at it is like calling the Queen Mary a rowboat.

Thank you for introducing me to Laura Haviland. I'd never heard of her (where HAVE I been?), but that may be because I'm not really a rubber stamper. After reading the interview, I can't wait to visit her blog and explore her art.

Thank you again for this quite perfect interview.

Caterina Giglio said...

excellent interview and great questions as always Marilyn!

CathWren said...

Laura, you look amazing. How can it be that you have so many gifts? You are truly one of the nicest people I know, over the top(and out of the box) creative, and pretty too!

I just count my blessings. I am so glad that Stampers Sampler found its way from California to Canada, and to you. That was the beginning of the magic carpet ride that has been our creative partnership.

Thank you Marilyn for honoring Laura on your blog. She deserves that and more. Lovely interview! XoXo

Terri Kahrs said...

Marilyn, I truly enjoyed this interview! Your questions are so interesting, and getting to know Laura is a treat. I'm off to pay a visit to her blog now. Hope you have a blessed Easter! Hugs, Terri xoxo

Buffy said...

I love reading your interviews,you always ask good questions and they're never boring. Another talent. Going to check out Laura's blog now. Thanks for sharing.Oh and Happy Easter!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for introducing this artist. Her dolls are terrific, whimsical and fun.

Corrine

Marlynn said...

What a wonderful interview, Marilyn. It was great getting to know Laura! I am now headed over to her blog. Hugs

~*~Patty S said...

Very enjoyable reading Marilyn, so nice to learn more about artists!
I'm headed over to check out Laura's blog too.
Happy Easter
Happy Spring
Happy Happy Everything!
oxo

Dianne said...

Great interview. It's fun to get to know the artists we follow a bit better. Creative Whispers is on my blog list and I go there every time she posts! I love her art dolls...

Lori Saul said...

Great interview and another wonderful artist to check out. Thank you for sharing Marilyn!

Debby said...

What a great interview! I love Laura's art, her art dolls are fab and I am lucky enough to have one. I think Laura is so creative and yes, out of the box, she is just a really sweet person and I am looking forward to meeting her one of these days.
Debby

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Hi Marilyn Sweetie...
I came to you through Sherry @ Createology. I am so thrilled.

I am your newest follower. OMG, I have to tell you what beautiful work you do. Gosh the paintings are just exquisite. I love the Angel Dreamer, she is just breath taking. I could look at her all day.

Now these journals that you are teaching, OMG I would so love to be able to take a class of yours. Have you considered teaching one on-line? Please let me know if you do. How awesome that would be. I love the pages as I was looking at what you have done. I love angels and butterflies, so the wings really fascinate me.

I am in the Phoenix area. I don't know of anyone right off hand that crafts like this. Have you met anyone from blogging as of yet?

Please stop by and say hi. I would be so honored if you signed up to follow my blog as well. I love meeting new friends, and sharing. Country hugs sweetie...Sherry

Poetic Artist said...

Excellent interview. I love the work of the artist.

Martina said...

Marilyn, thank you for the interesting interview with the wonderful LAURA!
I love Laura`s blog just I like yours and I love her beautiful and magnificent Paper Art Dolls and all her artwork.
Happy easter my dear blogfriend.
Cheers
MARTINA :-)

jgr said...

Hi Marilyn,
Thank you for introducing Laura to us. I will check out her blog!

Femmy said...

great intervieuw Marilyn!! thanks for introducing her!!

Heather Robinson said...

What a thrill to read about my dear and talented friend Laura today! I must say I'm like a "proud mamma" bursting with joy! What a wonderful interview about a truly amazing woman! Thank you for sharing this with us Marilyn. Hugs....

sharon said...

Wonderful interview Mariyln! You always bring us the best! I am off to check out Laura's blog...looks great!

Debbie said...

Great interview and I checked out Laura's blog..I love her dolls!

johanna said...

your interviews always are a highlight! thanks for directing to her blog with all the awesome dolls!

have a great weekend with hopefully spring weather!
oxox, johanna

thekathrynwheel said...

Great interview. I follow Laura's blog religiously but I learned lots about her here. Thanks for that. Kate :-)

angela recada said...

I just popped over to Laura's blog. It's wonderful! Thanks for introducing us to her with this terrific interview.

And congratulations on a successful show last weekend! Your sold art piece and new header are lovely. As you might guess, I love the textures!
xo

Createology said...

Thank you Marilyn for introducing Laura and her blog. I love her whimsy and creativity. You always inspire me with your artwork and ambition and teaching. Happy Easter to you.

HeARTworks said...

Thank you for the interview as I got to know Laura Haviland more. Foun d her blog through OWOH and have admired her since then! Yes, she does great work and I always enjoy her quirky little dolls!

ute said...

hello Marilyn,
I wish you a happy and sunny Easter holiday, with love ute

Gaby Bee said...

Great interview Mariyln! Her paper art dolls are gorgeous :-)
Wishing you a wonderful Easter weekend!
Gaby xo

Viola said...

Wonderful interview, Marilyn! I also love her artwork! Happy Easter to you! :)