Monday, March 22, 2010

"The Storyteller"

I call this Angel "The Storyteller". Someone asked me, recently, how do I come about naming my art works. I guess it's a feeling I get from the expression of an image; either a collage image or one that I've drawn and painted. I think eyes tell all. Don't you? I have much difficult leaving a person, face, etc. out of one of my mixed-media pieces. I seem to have to include this in order, for me, to really relate to what I'm creating.

This particular Angel, to me, has an expression of mistrust for some reason. Can you see it? I think she's told some lies, in her days, and that is where I got the name The Storyteller from. Are all lies bad?

Hmmmmmmm; how about those little white lies that can protect from hurt feelings, or soften a blow of bad news. Is honesty good at all costs?

What are your thoughts on this subject? Boy; this angel really got me thinking. I like to think she's a storyteller because she wants to protect. After all; isn't that what angels do? :)

Hope you all had a great weekend; I'm seeing such beautiful artwork on your Blogs and inspiration abounds!

Have a good week, ahead, and know you are all in my thoughts! Love, Marilyn xxoo

32 comments:

Diane said...

This has to be one of my favorites--I just love the way you did her clothing and wings-LOVE IT!! And I agree, a storyteller is a good person, even if he has to "embellish" on things just a bit.

Yvonne said...

This is gorgeous, Marilyn! Love the story too :)

Caterina Giglio said...

wonderful work Marilyn! nicely collaged and great texture.

Anonymous said...

She looks pensive to me- like she is looking inward. Great collage background, so much going on. Really like this piece.

Sandy said...

OMG this is a dream. So wonderful painting work again. Really really beautiful.

sharon said...

Another fantastic angel...and a new favorite for me! This angel does look a bit troubled.... but angels are all about making things work out.

Terri Kahrs said...

She DOES have a glint in her eye, Marilyn, and she's wonderful! Lovely texture and color, but oooohhhhh that lovely face!!!! Hugs, Terri xoxo

johanna said...

another INCREDIBLE piece, marilyn!!

Dianne said...

Beautiful work... I think she looks troubled that she had to tell a story...

Carol Q said...

lovely Marilyn. she definitely looks like she's mulling something over.

Lori Saul said...

This is one of my favorites as well- love the expression and mood of the piece. I name my work based on a feel of what the piece expresses to me- I think most artists do. Beautiful art Marilyn!

Martina said...

What an amazing piece of art, dear Marilyn! So beautiful and perfect!

Laura Haviland said...

Wow Marilyn another powerful Angel.
She has a look of question in her eyes for sure. She is fabulous and love your thoughts about the creation. It is like a image does talk to you. I love the The Storyteller,perfect !!
Your amazing and your creative thoughts.Enoyed every word you shared.
Enjoy your day and thank you for sharing a piece of you.
Love you lots,Hugs Laura. xoxx

Diane J. Evans said...

Love her face -- she has character and soul!

Diane

~*~Patty S said...

Wonderful creation M!
She does have some stories to tell I'm sure. Your background is so rich...this piece really speaks to me!
I totally agree with you about using faces in what you create...I wondered what was up with that with me too!
You must be so pleased with how this one came out too!
oxo

Buffy said...

Oh I think this one is my favorite,I love the name,at first I thought oh if she lies then she's really not an angel but the way you worded it,like she is protecting people from the bad truth just was perfect. Really like the meaning behind this one Marilyn. Beautiful background too.

manomij said...

I love her Marilyn she is just perfect to me I love her pale skin and expression!
XX Manon

Marlynn said...

I really like this angel - I find it interesting that when I hear the term "story teller" I don't think of lies, I think of the weaver of words. She does have that look of mistrust. Before I read your post and only saw her face - it was a shock. Her look. Almost as if she can see into someone's soul and knows all about us even the darker regions we might try and hide! Glad you enjoyed Harley today, I'm in California yawning from getting up way to early on the East Coast to go West! hugs,

Patti G. said...

Marilyn, what a fun story teller! Yes yes, do we not all embellish or keep a little something in to avoid hurting feelings sometimes?
She is beautiful and I LOVE the words on her neck......as if the stories are in there just waiting to get out! Awesome my friend!
Hugs,Patti

Steph said...

Your Artwork, journal pages they just took my breath away, Marilyn!!!! WOW!!! I am so drawn to your style!! THANK YOU for visiting my blog. I truly appreciate your comments!!

Peggy Beck said...

Love the name, the colors, the expression, everything. Great piece Marilyn.

Evidence of an Artistic Life said...

Fabulous and thought provoking! Just loving your art!

Createology said...

Hi Marilyn. Your "Storyteller" is beautifully done. She is very pensive and ready to tell her stories to all of us who are listening. Your art is very inspiring. Happy creating...

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

When I first saw the title, I thought something totally different. I thought of a story teller who weaves a tale. I never connected it with someone who might not tell the truth all the time. You have a way with analyzing your art and your subject matter.

Many times, I don't name my pieces. Maybe it's because I don't have a central image to rely on. This is a thought provoking and interesting point and post.

ute said...

hello Marilyn,
I love your wonderful storyteller and the story.
The stamps in my blog for fabrics are carvings, yes it is right.
with "moosgummi" and Linol
wish you a nice day love ute

Femmy said...

it's gorgeous marilyn!!!

HeARTworks said...

She looks like she tells great stories! Lots of meanings and depth- I'd love to be on the receiving end- great work! I'm glad i found your blog!

jgr said...

Hi Marilyn,
This is a great one, I do love her expression and the 'Storyteller' is a good title.

Lynne said...

Another gorgeous angel, Marilyn!!! Love the background, there's so much texture, and the colors are beautiful!! Her face is def pensive....I'm sure she has a lot on her mind!!!

Janny said...

So beautiful Marilyn!

bockel24 said...

soooooo beautiful!!

Viola said...

Another gorgeous piece! :)