Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I'm getting closer......................


I can feel I'm getting closer to where I want to be with my portraits. I really want to come into my own for my mixed-media work and feel Pam's class will help me in reaching my goal. I still have eyes to soften and shading to perfect, but really am feeling more relaxed with facing a blank page and begin drawing a face or portrait.

This piece is referenced below, in previous post, but it wasn't painted. We started going in with paints, now, and other mediums; I've learned so much in the past few months with the online workshops.

So; this is my "Maiden of the Lake" as I call her. I got brave and added the daisy-chain band around her head; something was guiding me to add that, I stamped the fish, in there, using Fred Mullet's stamps and added more texture to the background with newspaper transfers.

I love sharing with all of you and know how much your Blogs, art and words have helped me tackle the lack of confidence that I go through at times. I'm learning, more and more, to stifle that inner critic. She's held me back for too long!

Have a joyous day!

Much love, Marilyn xxoo

33 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You are getting there? I think you've BEEN there for awhile and just don't realize it. The work you did on this piece to finish it, shows a real mastery of shading, composition, and collage. It's simply wonderful. So kick that inner critic to the curb and enjoy the day.

~*~Patty S said...

I must agree M, you arrived some time ago :)
Your Maiden of the Lake is beautiful, I Love the softness AND strength in her eyes! SO many lovely details to enjoy! You must be very well pleased!
oxo

Heather said...

This is Gorgeous Marilyn! I love seeing your portraits grow...you are an amazing angel, my dear! Hugs, Heather

Terri Kahrs said...

Your Maiden is superb, Marilyn! Her eyes draw you into them with their lovely depth. And the textures and interest on this piece are awesome. I'm so happy that I'm witnessing your "growth"! Hugs, Terri xoxo

johanna said...

i LOVE this piece, you really have grown in your art for quite a while now!! i also love the piece with the echinacea very much, a pleasure for the eyes!!

Sandy said...

Again so beautiful painting art.
The fish stamp is one of my favorite.
Love them.

Janny said...

So much beautiful work,thanks for sharing;o)

M. Reka said...

The work you did on this piece it's simply amazing, very well done :)
Thanks for sharing :)

Short Poems

Diane said...

Beautiful, Marilyn--you continue to grow!!

Lynda Howells said...

love this imagexthanks for visiting my blogxlynda
http://chocolatelifeandjazz.blogspot.com

Lori Saul said...

A beautiful maiden and I love your additions to her. She is both mesmerizing and mysterious- she has an inner light. Beautiful work Marilyn!

Sugar Lump Studios said...

oh Miss Marilyn...I agree with the others...your portaits have been there for quite some time! this is such a gorgeous piece...and I envy you...would give anything to draw like my siblings and daughters. One day...for now I will soak all of your beautiful paintings in and dream! :)

Patti G. said...

LOVE this portrait Marilyn! She is deep and I look into her! Just llllllloevely~ and I am so glad that you finding a style in your creations that feels right! JUST GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!
I could see her on a purse!!!!! :0)
Hugs,Patti

Dianne said...

Your portraits are so lovely... and I love what you've done with the background.

Debby said...

Oh my, getting there, getting where girl?? You have been nailing these portraits for quite some time, she is absolutely amazing. Beautiful work.
debby

Createology said...

I thought your painting was wonderful before...now I see you have made it fabulous. A true artist you are. Happy painting...

Buffy said...

I love what you added to the journal page and the shading on her is gorgeous. I really love the flowers around her head. Beautiful work Marilyn.

Peggy Beck said...

You are amazing with your art. I agree with everyone that you arrived a while ago. I love the daisy chain too. It was just what she needed or you would not have been guided by the power within to put it there. Lovely.

Poetic Artist said...

I am loving your new work. You are doing wonderful things..I know I must take some classes.
Katelen

Cindy McMath said...

Marilyn, your Maiden of the Lake is divine! I love your rich textures and the flowers in her hair are such a beautiful touch - magnificent!

Cindy :)

Sanja said...

This is so beautiful dear Marilyn!
Love the texture and colors.:-)
Hugs
Sanja xox

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work Marilyn, she is so beautiful and love how you have changed her and brought her to life
hugs June xxx

Femmy said...

such a beautiful painting Marilyn!! love the background too!!!

Anjas-Artefaktotum said...

I'm bowled over again. The eyes of the lady cast a spell over me. I'm totally fascinated of your art work every time I visit your blog.
Thanks for your lovely comments, I feel honored.
Have a nice evening.
Hugs Anja

Anonymous said...

You are a generous and loving spirit Marilyn and you work always reflects you through it. Thanks so much for visiting me I enjoy it so much.

xo

jgr said...

Beautiful!! Yes: YOU ARE THERE!

angela recada said...

She's beautiful! Keep listening to your creative spirit, and don't give that inner critic the time of day. You are doing wonderful work, and it's always such a pleasure to see what you've been working on.

I hope you're having a terrific week!
xo

Marlynn said...

Marilyn - I love her!!!! The daisy chain - priceless. You are good, but, I've told you that before. Yes, you are good! hugs,

.Trudi Sissons said...

Marilyn!! OUTSTANDING!!!

Kerri Jean said...

I just love this piece, Marilyn. I think your inner hippie was speaking through that daisy chain. Her face is just amazing. I am captivated and cannot stop looking at her.

Patti Sandham said...

Its a continual process isn't it? At least if your always striving to learn and grow and that is what makes the journey so interesting. Don't you think?

I love learning and experimenting too. Its like learning with out the bounds of rules or guidance to curb your instinct. What fun!

I love this piece! Wonderful!
Happy Earth Day Marilyn

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful... love the fish...

Lynne said...

Gorgeous!! Love everything that you've added to this piece. The fish, to daisy chain headband; and the newspaper transfer.....soooo awesome!!