Saturday, June 19, 2010

"Protect the Nest"

I've been working on catching up with some things, here, after a full but joyous week with Sophia.

I took some time, this morning, to complete a journal spread that I had started a few days ago.

I love birds and watching them build their nests, busily, lovingly, taking care of their eggs and then feeding their young. We have a family of wrens outside our back room and observing them got me to thinking about the whole nesting thing.

We, as humans, protect our nests don't we? In one way or the other. We can all have different types of nests whether we live alone, or share space or a house with someone else and/or others, pets, too. A garden can be a nest, too, and our plants need to be nurtured, cared for and loved.

Our art is a nest of sorts. We need to nurture our art and protect it by making sure we spend time with it as we do with the other things, and people in our lives that we love and treasure.

I wanted this journal spread to reflect my feelings of protecting my own nest which consists of a beautiful family, wonderful friends and my art.

Thinking of you all with warm thoughts and hope you are enjoying your weekend.

Enjoy your nests :)

Much love..................................Marilyn xxoo

36 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm pretty certain this is my favorite spread so far, and I've enjoyed many of them. This one hits so many elements, including the message it (and you) sends. The way you add the nests and the egg on the right side are simply perfect. I love that you used a book page to represent the egg. That says volumes in symbolism to me. I see so much more in this spread than possibly even you saw when you made it. I could take all day explaining this one, but must get back to that blog hop I'm on.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful page spread Marilyn. Even when our kids are grown we still want to protect them even as the mama robin does her nest. And when the grandchildren come along, well there is another whole thing going there. xox Corrine

Janny said...

These pages are awesome, have a great weekend Marilyn!

Martina said...

I love this page and the image is exquisite! Wonderful work, Marilyn!

johanna said...

what a wonderful spread! really enjoyed reading your thoughtful post!

Laura said...

Oh Wow, Marilyn!! I REALLY love this spread. I do believe that this is my favorite yet!!
Thank you for sharing it.

Kelly Berkey said...

Love it and the meaning behind it.
I also enjoy your blog...
Hugs,
Kelly

Sharon McGarry Sams said...

Lovely journal pages. I just love to see what you create next. I love the way you did the nest - looks like a white gel pen??
I think nests are alot more important to women than men. I love my stuff that make my home, mine. It tells stories about me and where I have been in life. Thanks for continuing to share!

Celeste said...

Lovely work Marilyn

sharon said...

Marilyn...I so relate to your pages and your post !!! And the beauty you create when you express those thoughts is truly incredible!

Diane J. Evans said...

Beautiful pages, Marilyn, and your description of the setting is equally as lovely!

Diane

Terri Kahrs said...

What a lovely tribute to your beautiful family, Marilyn! Love your analogy and your beautiful post. Hugs, Terri xoxo

Sandy said...

Oh wow wow wow wow wow I love your painting. This is perfect. Fantastic painting. Love it.

Buffy said...

You're right we do protect your nests. I love this journal spread,so meaningful.

~*~Patty S said...

WOW Loving these pages and the sentiments behind them M!
The pussy willow page is WOW!!!

What a delight your little wrens must be, for small birds they certainly can raise a ruckus, Love it!

Happy Father's Day Sunday to you and yours!
oxo

Marlynn said...

Your Nellie will be put in the mail this coming week. She and her nests will love her new home. Hugs, M

Createology said...

This is a lovely journal you are creating. Protect the Nest is something we all hope we are doing. May you have a heavenly week Miss Marilyn. Happy creating...

Patti G. said...

YOU are sooooo right Marilyn! We do protect our nests, with heart and soul! It is amazing and watch the little birds in nature, is an example of it!
Love this page and your message!
xoxoxox
Hus,Patti

Anonymous said...

oh i so love this two page spread...the way it looks and what it is all about....the colours...the subject rings true with every woman, i'm sure!

nesting...it's our nature!

gorgeous..i tried to click on the photo to enlarge it and get in real close to see the details..but it didn't work!
you should post some delicious closeups for us!

ciao bella
creative carmelina

Caterina Giglio said...

you nesty girl! love your pages!!

Elizabeth said...

Lovely Post marilyn!!! I am going thru some nesting issues at the moment! matthew graduated and today I take him to College orIENTATION-drop him off for three days!!!
Love your journal spread and your words are so beautifully stated and thoughts wonderfully expressed!
Hugs!
Elizabeth

Butterfly Works said...

What a wonderful and thought provoking post....I love when there's a story to go with the picture and you did a wonderful job with both...you can tell it came from the heart which makes it all the more precious.....

Peggy Beck said...

Oh Marilyn, this is so gorgeous and your insight is so profound. I just love your journal spread and you too.

Tolegranny said...

Haven't come to visit in awhile. I've missed your lovely work. The journal is looking great.

Lorri said...

Hi Marilyn,
I'm loving your recent works. That journal page is gorgeous.
Thanks for sharing and keep up the inspiring work.
xoxo

Kerri Jean said...

So well put Marilyn. I love bird nests for so many of the reasons you stated. In addition to their perfect beauty and construction, they symbolize so many things to which I relate.

Queen Bee said...

What a beautiful journal page! I always enjoy your creations!
Queen Bee Studio

Laura Haviland said...

Wow Talented Marilyn,just amazing.
I love the journal pages so much.
I adore anything bird related, so lovely.
Hugs,Laura. xoxx Love you lots....

Deb L. said...

I love this piece, M...my favorite subject, eggs and nests. We have several nests in the backyard, some in birdhouses that haven't been used in many years! We are going though more birdseed than dogfood!! Hope all is well - give Sophia a smooch for me :0) xox Deb

Debbie said...

I love the title for this journal page and it really came together so nicely! Your girls face is so beautiful!

Femmy said...

i am catching up on blogs, was awya for a couple of days.
this piece is as always so beautiful!!!
have a great weekend!

Anjas-Artefaktotum said...

Your pages are beautiful fantastic and unique as ever. I love to visit your blog with alle this gorgeous art works!
Wish you a happy weekened,
hugs Anja

Yvonne said...

Gorgeous work, Marilyn! You certainly have a wonderful way of expressing yourself through words too.

Sugar Lump Studios said...

Marilyn
your art is always stunning and this latest spread is fantastic! I love the colors! Thanks for your kind comments on the eBook...hope you are enjoying summer so far! Happy Sunday!

Steph said...

I love these pages, Marilyn!!! they are awesome!!! stay happy...hugs steph

Alexandra said...

ohhh you was very very busy Marilyn. Your pages are all stunning. My favorite are this sites. I love the colors so much.
Marilyn I had a big problem with my old blog and I moved to blogspot now. If you have time please change the link. Have a nice holiday. Greetings Alexandra