Monday, July 5, 2010

Journaling

I hope you and yours had a safe and happy 4th of July weekend. For some, here anyway, it is an extended day off as many businesses and government offices are closed today.

I made some time to work in my art journal, this weekend, in between tending to outdoor chores, grocery shopping, watching the World Cup, laundry, family events - how do we all fit things in?????

Anyway; this spread reflects how my mind has been swirling around with all kinds of thoughts; some conflicting, some thinking of art workshops I want to do in future,personal art projects, things I want to do to complete a goal or two I have for myself this year. Time is such a factor with all of this and it gets frustrating, at times, that I set out to do some things and then - well; life happens.

The figure in this spread is one that I sketched and painted; model from a magazine. The body language just was perfect for my feelings and the swirls, in the spread, reflect how my mind has been spinning with stuff.

I'm sure you all go through this. And when it happens, how do you handle it? I guess one of the things that I did, this weekend, is MAKE time for myself and just did it - like Nike :) I put some things, on hold, a bit, so I could work in my journal. I was itching to get to it.

Sometimes I can't fully relax, creating art, knowing I have so many things to do. Does this happen to you? I've got to learn to let some of this go - let the dust bunnies turn into elephants, let the laundry go a couple days, let "them" eat cake! :)

Well; this rant felt good! Thanks for listening :)

Enjoy your day; hoping you have today off from your work so you can relax, a bit, and like Nike says - "just do it"! Make time for yourself - create some art!

We're in for a heat wave, this week, with temps climbing to the high 90's with oppressive humidity :( - maybe that will force me to stay inside with the a/c and work on more art! We shall see. I wish you cool temps and art time this week.

Much love to all of you! Marilyn xxoo


32 comments:

Femmy said...

what a beautiful journaling pages Marilyn!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Marilyn, i am just catching up but your fab page stopped me in my tracks, great journal pages and that sketch is fantastic. Love your art as always
hugs June xxxx

Yvonne said...

Fabulous journalling, Marilyn!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Lovely, lovely pages, Marilyn. Yes, I have been experiencing the same overwhelming thoughts. I want to try so many things, experiment with art supplies, address the thoughts I have in my head, but they are often dictated by time and commitments. Like you, I wonder if I'll ever have enough time to do all these things. It's times like that I get overwhelmed. Then, like the clouds parting and giving way to sunshine, I free up some time and feel oh-so satisfied when I get time in the studio. Great thought provoking questions today.

Buffy said...

Beautiful journal page,I love it. it has so much meaning.I'm glad you made some time for yourself. I get that way all the time and then I get grumpy if I don't have time for art.

Sugar Lump Studios said...

Miss Marilyn....yet another GORGEOUS page you have created...I adore the color combo...it makes me think of sea waters for some reason...beautiful art.
It is going to be a HOT HOT day in July here...hope the temps are cooler in NY! Didn't know about the gov't offices...wonder if my PO is closed? Happy Monday to you!

Kimber said...

Love the new blog header image as well as your journal pages. Great art, as always. The butterflys are so beautiful. I think your making time for your art, as you call it, just doing it, is a great way to go. You just need to figure out how to relax and just do it. Everything that HAS to get done seems to, doesn't it? Just remember, you and your art ARE a priority!

Anonymous said...

Love this spread Marilyn. I agree, make time for yourself, although those little nagging guilt creatures
stay on your shoulder....My dust bunnies are already elephants, with four dogs you can imagine. Cook out for us today with family, and hot hot hot too! Stay cool and keep drawing and painting for us to enjoy! xox Corrine

Createology said...

This is such an appropriate journal spread and post. Of course life happens and of course we women are supposed to do it all however sometimes we just get tired and want a break. So put housework on hold, families can feed themselves and Calgon take me away. Hmmm can we combine a studio in the bubble tub? Now that would be relaxing and feed our creative souls. Your art is too important to put on the back burner. Good for you taking time for yourself. Happy creating...

sharon said...

I feel the same way as you do Marilyn about every 2 weeks it seems!! I still don't know the answer, but I do know that making time for myself really helps. Your page is beautiful!

Martina said...

I truly love this artpiece, Marilyn! Just beautiful:)

Marlynn said...

WOW, Marilyn, seems your post speaks to a lot of us. Yes, I am experiencing the same things you are - like the constant pulling in different ways - work, tennis, art, life. I want to do it all and then I start feeling overwhelmed and decided to just sit and watch TV until... I head upstairs and create something. Thanks for letting us all know we are not alone in these feelings. Have a great 5th of July! Yes, I am off this day in honor of the 4th! Whoop and hugs

Alexandra said...

Stunning pages!

Carol Q said...

gorgeous pages Marilyn. I know where you're coming from! love the coloumn on the other page too.

Diane said...

Great, great journaling. And yes, I use to stress about things that I was neglecting, but not so much anymore---everything waits for me till I get to it, but I always make some time for myself now.

Kelly Berkey said...

Love your post. I too had the day off and spent it painting, I even video taped my process and put it on my blog. Art is so great to help work out our feelings, isn't it?
Enjoy the cool indoors and create!

Laura Haviland said...

Darling Marilyn,this was so well said and you are not alone in your feelings.
Your page is awesome but completely awesome.****
Everyone thing about this sends such a message. The sketch is fabulous. I love this page ...
I am feeling just like you.
Thank you for saying I am not the only one.
Love you bunches,Hugs Laura.xoxx

Sandy said...

Wow your Journaling is brilliant. Absolutely unique and so beautiful. Your work rock. Love it.

Queen Bee said...

You art is ALWAYS fabulous!
Queen Bee Studio

~*~Patty S said...

Gorgeous pages M ... what a treat it must be to sit and turn the pages of your journal!!!

A friend that moved to FL says "when if not now" ... great words to ponder on what really is important in our lives ... balance continues to be a tricky thing to try and capture ... in the meantime I think we should play and make art whenever possible!

Stay cool we are going to have "feels like 105" today here in N VA ...ugh, not my idea of a nice day. Thank goodness for A/C and my art cave ;)!
oxo

Kerri Jean said...

I know I've also blogged about this. It is hard to put art before obligations sometimes, but I am getting better at it. And in this heat, I can't lift much more than a paint brush, so that's as much of an excuse as I need. Great journal pages Marilyn. I love where your art has been taking you. Thanks for taking us along on this journey.

Peggy Beck said...

These are great journal pages Marilyn. I can just imagine what this young woman is thinking and she is quite beautiful by the way. Your techniques are improving all the time and I love being on this journey with you.

Diane said...

Hey Marilyn, I have an award for you on my blog!

johanna said...

wonderful spread, marilyn! i´m always surprised by your color combos and i like your use of strong colors!

and the "time for art" issue... i wish i had more lifes... i would love to calligraphy, try so many techniques... but there will be some more years to work for money to afford my passion...

Anjas-Artefaktotum said...

I don't know what I shall write, the lady fascinated me like all your paintings, but she talks especially to me... I'm again in love with this new pages. Absolutly fantastic effect or impression.
Today evening we look TV WM Germany against Spain. We all hope it will be thrilling and well.The best shall win.
Hugs from nuremberg in germany,
Anja

Glenda said...

What a fabulous page Marilyn. I love the colors. I too get grumpy if I don't get my "fix" of art time, its getting harder and harder too at the moment with our family situation as it is now, but I still try and grab some time every couple of nights to at least sit and ponder what next etc if not actually get something done.

Rebecca Anthony said...

I'm so glad I found your blog, your journal pages are amazing!

Butterfly Works said...

What a great journal page..so expresses what you were feeling..and yes I am in the same boat...for two weeks now I have not been able to "do" my art and I am aching to get at it.....tomorrow is my day.....no matter the dirt or grime I am locking myself in my studio and playing.....Your post makes me feel better about taking some time for myself...Thanks

Caterina Giglio said...

great pages Marilyn!!

Oxana said...

Gorgeous pages, Marilyn!
Hugs
Oxana

Diane J. Evans said...

Beautiful pages, Marilyn!

Yes, I blogged about this very thing a short while ago, when I was having the same feelings. A friend and I are now trying to live by this motto:

"An hour a day of creative play."

You're right -- you have to push yourself into that studio; and if you tell yourself that you're important, and that you'll give it just 10 minutes, you'll be amazed at how that 10 minutes can turn into 60 before you know it.

Diane

Gaby Bee said...

These pages are gorgeous. You have included so much detail. Great art as usual!