Saturday, July 10, 2010

A "twofer" or maybe a "threefer" :)
















I have felt like a recluse these past few days with this unbearable heat and humidity we've had all week. Today, at least, it's raining and we are supposed to be getting a "weak" cool front for today and tomorrow. But, by Monday, we'll be right back in the HHH's. I'm whining aren't I? Sorry.

Anyway; being held up in the air conditioning, here, the positive spin is I'm getting a little more art time in. Here is a picture of what I refer to as a "twofer" as it is an exercise in journaling as well as portrait for my online classes. I decided to add some violet to the face, as shadows, and liked it vs. always going in with gray tones. Sometimes when I look at, not only the colors in my face, but others, there are other hues in our skin especially around our eyes. I find it interesting. So; if you are with me, in person, and you find me glaring at your eyes and surrounding features, it's because I'm studying the colors around your face :)

For the "threefer", I am not a gardener, per say, and would venture to say my thumb is not green (speaking of colors); more like blue (on the cool side) :) I'm not very successful with planting flowers or vegetables but, this year, seems to be a little different for some reason. All my flowers are at the front of our house. I am very much attracted to black-eyed susan's, daisies, and especially cone flowers (ecchinachea-spelling?) or as I refer to them, here, as "cone head" flowers. I know they can be spindly but there are different varieties and the picture, here, is of a successful planting of mine - woohoo! I just love them and also - maybe they will ward off a cold or two - lol! Isn't eccinachea a herb that is supposed to help when you have a cold? Can't hurt right?

I wish you all a safe and happy weekend.

As always; I so appreciate your visits, here, leaving your caring and supportive comments that continue to keep my wings in the flying position. Thank you!

Much love always - Marilyn xxoo


30 comments:

creativelenna said...

mariyn, i love the "possibilities" of combining art with journaling even though I have not ever tried it myself! You have done this beautifully here. The extra touches of colour make your spread warm & inviting, mmmmm! maybe I will have a new project brewing for myself! Thank you for your inspiration and beauty shared, as always. xo lenna

Yvonne said...

Your journalling is awesome, Marilyn! I so love journalling, must give it a go sometime :)

Butterfly Works said...

Marilyn, I always get a dose of inspiration when I visit your blog...love these journal pages and the idea of adding different tones around the eyes......I learn so much from you.....

Cone flowers are one of very favorate flowers...I have a huge bed of them in the mountains. And yes they are suppose to help with colds but don't know how to accomplish this.....need to investigate..... Yours are beautiful and make me long to see mine....

I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Hugs and blessings

Dianne said...

Your journal pages and the portrait itself are wonderful! I've been playing with pens and markers lately, mostly doodling, but faces have been a subject. Your Echinacea is gorgeous! It's benefits include support for the immune system and can help prevent colds and other illnesses. If you buy it, please make sure the product is made from the flowers and not the root. It is farmed as a sustainable crop in developing countries... the flowers are harvested and the plant is further cultivated for another harvest. Products made from the root are typically harvested from the wild (it's a U.S. prairie flower) and the plant is destroyed.

marilyn said...

I love your faces. I try to use them as inspiration. The noses are the hardest!! The eyes are the most fun to draw. and your lips are great. I need more practice but I keep trying to improve. Thank you.

Carol Q said...

gorgeous soft pages Marilyn. you must have some beautiful books to look back at now.

Steph said...

Love these pages, Marilyn!! am inspired to pick up my VJ now.... Thank you for visiting my blog with encouraging comments always..!! kindest steph

Kimber said...

Wow! Your portraits are getting more beautiful each time you share one with us. Love the coloring.
I really love cone flowers - your thumb is looking pretty green in that photo!
Stay cool! So glad to hear you get a bit of a break from the heat this weekend.
Thanks always for your comments on my blog!

Nan said...

I do love your journal pages. Very glad I found your blog. Please never look at my eyes for color reference as I resemble a Black Eyed Susan LOL!

Jo Capper-Sandon said...

Theres such a gentle feel to your work. A calming effect. Maybe its the exhaustion from the heat lol

Its very hot and humid here too. And rare for air con in homes. Roll on the autumn...:0)

Rebecca Anthony said...

I love the text across her shirt and the flowers down her braid on your journal pages. Gorgeous pages!!

Createology said...

I do not wish you heat and humidity however I am thrilled that you are inside having art time. Your journal is just wonderful. Flowers are so happy and make me smile. These are beautiful. Happy creating...

Marlynn said...

Marilyn - I love your twofer! The violet is so special on your gal. I love the flowers! Hang in there, we may get fall some day!!! PLEAssse, yes I'm whining too. Hugs,

Terri Kahrs said...

Unfortunately, I can identify with your reference to being a recluse, Marilyn! Relief from this stifling weather would be MOST welcome - the rain only seems to make things more humid.

Love your journal pages! Your work keeps getting better and better. And, yes, if you study "the Master Painters", you'll see they use color for shadows.

Cone flowers are some of my favorites. They so perky, and yours are glorious!!!! Happy weekend!!! Hugs, Terri xoxo

~*~Patty S said...

the purple shading really does add an extra interesting element to your wonderful pages Marilyn!

your cone flowers are just splendid, they make very nice cut flowers ... lasting a long while in the house ... especially where it's nice and cool!

you weather sounds alot like ours ... we got just shy of an inch of rain and that was most welcome to the hot dry ground
oxo

Buffy said...

I love your journal page especially the girl,love her hair and the way you did the writing. You're so funny saying your thumb is blue,I always say I have a black thumb,mine is NOT green at all. I usually kill all my flowers,its terrible but I did throw a rotten pumpkin in my flower bed and out of no where these vines started to grow and now I have a pumpkin the size of a basketball,me and my daughter are so excited. Your flowers are beautiful. Oh and thanks for the link,that class sounds like a good one.Did you take any of them? I can't do Pams right now,but Dinas I might be able to do.

Martina said...

Fab colours and great designs, there. Love the whole creation, Marilyn, Gorgeous, as ever!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I wish my cone flowers looked this good. Of course mine came up from last year's seeds.

I never thought about the color around the eyes. I'll have to check mine once I get all the perspiration out of them (grin).

No rain here. Hot and humid. And of course, I picked today to mow my yard. I simply couldn't wait any longer. Of course, I haven't edged or trimmed since the beginning of the summer, because mowing is about all I can handle in this heat. Stay cool, dear and have a wonderful rest of the weekend.

Sugar Lump Studios said...

Marilyn
I adore her gorgeous braid with all the wonderful detail in it...amazing! Love looking at your color combinations in your art also...they are always so moving. I hope we get some cooler weather soon...realize our winters are long but anything over 80 something is too hot! Have a great Sunday!

Deb L. said...

Wonderful journal pages, M... the face shading with the purple is perfect! Your faces have developed at an amazing rate... just lovely!
Stay as cool as possible - I am off to California this week, hoping for some cooler weather :0)
xo Deb

sharon said...

Marilyn, you make journaling positively beautiful! Your faces are wonderful, and all the little details,, and the color in this one is superb!!

gail said...

Marilyn possibilities is stunning, i love the colors.g

Femmy said...

fantastic journaling Marilyn!!

johanna said...

wonderful journal pages!
and your rudbeckia flowers have such a delightful color! i planted some in spring, too - but they are not blooming yet. hope they will come...

Laura Haviland said...

Super fabulous Marilyn, I adore this journal page it has such Wow factor !! I love the lavender you added in the face and through out the piece. It gives such a glow of amazing contrast. I love love love this, your so creative.
The flowers are beautiful purple rocks like you.
Biggest Hugs, Laura.xoxx
Love you bunches wonderful you !!

Sandy said...

So so beautiful again Marilyn.
You are the best journaling artist. Love it.

Oxana said...

Your journalling is simply gorgeous!!!

fran pascazio said...

For not being a gardener you sure grow great cone flowers (one of my favorite I might add)! The journal page is really pleasant to look at, Marilyn...I admire your new found passion....keep it up, it suites you!

good wishes
fran

Lori Saul said...

I heard about the hot weather where you are - really saps the energy. Your art work is certainly not suffering though- these are awesome- beautifully collaged and expressed. Look forward to more Marilyn!

Butterfly Works said...

Marilyn, you will never know how much the four words you left on my blog mean to me.....you are such an encouragement....Thanks for being such a dear......

Hugs