
This is a 9 x 12 re-worked canvas. The inspiration, for this, not only came from my love of recycling some old canvases of mine, but recently I received my Jan/Feb 2011 issue of Somerset Studio magazine and in it was an article by Shelly M. Broughton.
The title of her article, "I Would Rather Have Snow", instantly caught my eye as it's rare when I find someone who enjoys the snow as much as I do. Her words describing her love of Fall and the Winter months really struck a cord for me. I swear I've thought those very same thoughts and have said those same words a million times over.
Shelly's article also addressed re-working canvases and I, again, thought WOW! This is what I've been doing the past month or two. Shelly's approach is with using tissue paper over oils or acrylics, then begin reworking the piece with paints, etc. If you have this issue of Somerset Studio, the article is on page 60 and you'll see Shelly's influence in this re-work of mine.
I call it "Learn to Pause" because this is exactly what Shelly's article did for me. Between the title of her article and then reading how she re-works a piece, it really gave me time to pause. I loved how Shelly wasn't afraid to splatter white paint over the whole canvas to symbolize the snowflakes coming down. I added my own touches with having to capture the blue/gray background as that is what our sky looked like yesterday, the painted figure, some collage, stamping, charcoal, etc.
We did get our snow, today; and I think it's beautiful! It has added a cleansing to the day except the winds are fierce and I'm waiting for them to calm down, a bit, so I can go for my walk with my camera :)
Hope you all enjoyed your holiday weekend and I wish you a safe, happy and joyous week ahead, and some time to "learn to pause". :)
Love much - Marilyn xxoo
26 comments:
I Love the Fall and snow too! You are so right about cleansing the air. Winds are wild here too, have picked up as I writ this and puppy Ella is wondering what all this noise in the sky is? Snow up to our knees, mostly light and fluffy but it's cold, cold! Bundle up and keep re-creating your wonderful women. xox Corrine
Beautiful post anf beautiful reworked canvas!!!! I will take a lok at the latest somerset issue, for sure!! Don't get blown away on your walk!! Our trees are dancing like crazy down hbere in VA so the blow has a ways to go!!!!
I love your reworked painting with the cardinals--my favorite birds!
Great piece Marilyn, love the idea of reworking your art. I have been trying the same thing as I have been cleaning my studio and finding things I didn't know I had! lol
well i can't say i love the winter as the cold feels so brutal to me, but i can say i love your artwork. it is awesome!
Marilyn - your recycled canvas is wonderful - love everything about it. I also noticed that article but do not work on canvas that much-doesn't mean I can't rework some other work I have around. Happy New Year and hugs!
"Learn to pause" is a great lesson for all of our new year 2011. No matter what medium we choose it would be good to "learn to pause". Thank you for sharing this and your art is fabulous. Happy week to you Miss Marilyn...
This painting is awesome Marilyn! Love the colors and how quiet the image looks. Very serene and beautiful!
Your canvas is inspired indeed and I Love everything about it M...winter gives us a chance to slow down and go within on these shorter days...it's clear you are making the most of it!
Our snow did not materialize here in VA and I was a bit sad about that...I so adore the hush and purity snow brings...it definitely helps even the busiest people 'pause'...I never get cabin fever..always finding so much to entertain me here at home
I picked up some thrift shoppe canvases and have been waiting to get busy...thank you for sharing and giving me that spark yet again
fa la la
oxo
Oh I love snow so much! So it was a pleasure to read your post.
I have not been visiting your blog for a little while oops... I am ashamed to say:-(. I am so delighed to catch up and see all your beautiful art. I love the wonderful art you create!!!
hugs
Manon
Another masterpiece, Marilyn!
arrg of all the times I am not getting my magazine I have subscribed to...my post office hates me! Love what you did here and the title.
enjoy your snow, while we enjoy this lovely piece, really like your red cardinals... really make it pop!
enjoy your snow, while we enjoy this lovely piece, really like your red cardinals... really make it pop!
Oh wow cardinals. Wow this is my favorite bird. Wonderful re-painting. Absolutely awesome. Love it.
She's beautiful and I love the snow falling in the background. I can't wait to get the latest issue of somerset,this issue looks like a good one.
This is beautiful Marilynn!! I can't wait to pick up the latest issue of Somerset--I really need to get a subscription--this is my most favorite magazine.
I can't really say that I'm crazy about the snow, but I'll take it over rain, because even when it's a gray day, when there's snow on the ground (and we have plenty!), it brightens up the whole house.
I think you have found a mentor, or at least someone to inspire you. This piece is wonderful and I love snow, too. Sadly, I seem to have been left in the cold (literally) when it came to snow last year and this one too, so far.
I hope you are snug and safe right now, planning a warm and charming New Year's celebration. Here's to 2011. May it bring all you ask for and much more as well.
Beautiful work Marilyn, I love the softness of the colors! Great post! :)
Beautiful work, Marilyn. I'm not a snow lover myself -- I'd rather look at lovely paintings of it than tromp through it to take the dog out in the morning. It's much more romantic on canvas than in my driveway . . .
Diane
Marilyn your canvas is amazing! We have a lot of snow too here in Germany.
Have a wonderful time my friend
Hugs Alexandra
i also love snow (it makes the world so silent), but only to a certain point... i hate when somebody of the family is on the road with the car and the streets are not safe... i enjoy snow most from looking outside or having a walk on a sunny cold day.
i so love the cardinals on your painting, marilyn! i wish we had them over here, they are such beautiful birds and the red feathers of the males are a wonderful contrast in the white environment!!
have a happy and healthy new year, marilyn!
I love this piece! It's beautiful and peaceful and warm, despite the snow. I've been looking for the new issue of Somerset Studio, but it's not on the shelves yet here.
this one really tugs at my heart strings! it is AMAZING! The blue sky with the white snow falling...and pretty cardinals are something that I hold dear in the winter months. GORGEOUS piece Miss Marilyn!
Marilyn, this is beautiful! I love the bright red bird and your luscious blue background. Your lady is lovely, and I like the printing on her dress. Stunning!
Can't say I share your love of snow although I do like it in pictures... :)
Cindy :)
Wow!Wow!Wow! This would make the most amazinf Christmas card!
Post a Comment