Friday, August 5, 2011

Journal pages


Here are two more pages in my new journal.

The one with the gorilla and babies is a transfer (and one of my most successful ones, I might add), of a favorite magazine page from an old issue of National Geographic. I must have had this image for, at least, 3 years. I guess I was waiting for the right time and place to use it.

I think all the clips of seeing the latest movie version of "The Planet of the Apes" has inspired me to use the image. I've always loved gorillas - just the thought of them and were never scary looking to me. I love their eyes! I was a huge King Kong fan, too. :) I do intend to see this new version of "The Plant of the Apes" in near future. I understand there's a strong message to the movie regarding protecting this species.

In terms of my journal page using the image of the mom gorilla with her babies, I really didn't do much to the page but transfer the image, added some textural marks and the word PROTECT. It seemed that was all that was needed. Now; I can have this image preserved in my journal.

The second photo is of a page following. I used one of my own images, again transferring it, then adding collage, etc. to a textural background start. The flowers are molding paste with a stencil.

I am wishing you and yours a lovely weekend. The extreme heat is relentless in parts of our country and, here, we are in the soup, again, although not quite as hot. It's the humidity that is so heavy; I just got back from my walk and I'm drenched!

Sending cooling thoughts to those in the extreme heat!

Best to all of you.........................Love, Marilyn

17 comments:

Nancy said...

Marilyn, I too am a huge gorilla fan...I think they are so fascinating...Every time we go to the zoo and love to stand and watch them...I am looking forward to the new movie too...I think it comes out pretty soon.....

I love these two journal pages...of course the gorilla is so sweet and love the word protect under him...and the green one with your picture is beautiful...love the colors and the textures.....

We're cooling off a little in NC but still hot and no rain in sight....Please be careful and don't get over heated when you walk...I think we all are going to enjoy some cooler fall weather this year....

Hugs and blessings

Sandy said...

Oh wow Marilyn your new pages rock.
Really facinating the techniques are great.
Love your work.

I wish you a lovely weekend.

Anonymous said...

That gorilla I,age is so tender, great transfer! xox Corrine

~*~Patty S said...

two such different pages and each one a treasure M!

I too am looking forward to seeing the new movie...3D should be pretty intense

you are so right about the humidity...it makes a huge difference...we are getting a little break...any relief is most welcome

Happy weekend to you and yours...thanks for sharing your creativity is is always so inspiring!

oh a question...
are you doing gel medium transfers?
oxo

Janet Ghio said...

What a fabulous transfer you have done!

Jacky said...

Thats a very strong image the gorilla and her babe. I love this page and the message you are conveying.
I too am going to see the movie (I can remember going to the drive in when I was little to see Planet of the Apes).

Have a lovely weekend yourself.

Jacky xox

ida said...

these are very nice!

Buffy said...

Love,love,love your gorilla page and the word you used fits perfectly. Love your other page too. Have a great weekend.

Diane J. Evans said...

"Beautiful" truly is just that!

Diane

Melanie said...

Hi Marilyn,

The Gorilla page is so special.
Very touching and beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Love, Mel

Lynne Moncrieff said...

Marilyn
I love chimps as I find them to be fascinating, especially the kids, they make me lol, they really do. I look at them and their actions are so close to our own.
Keep the journal pages coming as I find them so fascinating and love when you give us some insight into the process involved.
wishes
Lynne

Createology said...

Your gorilla page is just perfect with the message "protect". I can just picture you working in your journal and being so very happy as that is what your art is saying out loud. Blissful weekend and I do wish you cooler non humid weather...

Martina said...

Beautiful pages, dear Marilyn! Love the image of the ape!
Great design!

Have a nice sunday my friend.
Hugs
MARTINA

Janny said...

What a great pages!

Jan Hennings said...

WOW! What a beautiful transfer...I love the technique by mine never look so good! Beautiful journal pages!

laurel said...

Love them both!

Susie Campbell (Sue Smith) said...

Totally, totally love both of these! The gorilla is especially stunning! I'm yet to have much success with image transfers, but must try again, because looking at your awesome work has made me realize it's definitely worth persevering to improve my results.