
Many years ago.......and yes, it seems like many years ago, :), I signed up for watercolor classes in my area at a local art gallery/studio. It wasn't a good experience, for me, as I just couldn't seem to "control" what I was doing and, frankly, my instructor was not one to tolerate not doing it her way and all she kept telling me was how behind everyone else I was! Well - let's just say I left the courses before I got kicked out :)
I've since started to play around more with my watercolors, in my own way, with a little help. Martha Lever's Color Drop Flower online workshop sure gave me a jump start. Her comfortable style really helped me become more friendly to watercolors. She's offering another online workshop beginning Aug. 15th and it's her Poppies class! I cannot wait.
I also took Alisa Burke's online class, awhile ago, and enjoyed her style as well. She covered a lot of color theory which I was desperately in need of. It actually got me to go out and get a color wheel :) Who would have thunk it? :) But; I loved the informal approach to her backgrounds and incorporating lots of doodling, splattering, just some fun things that really helped me enjoy water coloring and I can definitely incorporate this in my journal art with stamps, stencils, etc. All those things that I have been using with acrylics.
This photo is of one of my water color pages in my journal. I had a blast with it! The butterfly is one of Tim Holtz' stamps that I stamped and then added watercolor touches to. You might also notice a date stamp mark in the background.
I had an old date stamp, here, from my working days and decided to start using it on my journal pages. It's great to look back at the pages and see what date that I created a certain page.
Hope you all are enjoying your weekend. We're upon another new week starting tomorrow. Stay safe and healthy and I'll be back towards the end of the week.
Best to all! Love, Marilyn xxoo
33 comments:
I like your water color page a lot--what did that watercolor teacher know.... Do you have a link to the floweer class? BTW--I like your new header-I need to change mine, but never seem to get around to it.
I think you had a rotten experience from that teacher. (I would have asked for a refund) She was no teacher. I have had the same experience a long time ago. Being a teacher myself I knew it was wrong and let her know. I digress....
I like what you have done and I too took Martha's class and loved it. I wanted to see what Bucky looked like, didn't you. HA
That's my type of watercolouring - I LOVE this page. The colours are amazing and I'm so pleased that you're enjoying learning to use them cos that's what art's about :-) Gorgeous!
I think it is horrible when any art teacher is not flexible....what a contradiction in terms to me. You prevailed here Marilyn with your gorgeous and free style! I love it!
i have found that when i've stepped away from the "rules" of any art, whether it's painting, quilting, sewing--it is much more liberating and fun! love your page and MUST look up this poppy class!!!
Marilyn, I absolutely love this work! :) c
gorgeous color! I love love love the flowers!
Love, love, love this! I'm always fascinated by those watercolors that do have control and look so on purpose but my heart just loves the freedom of drips and splatters.
Watercolor can be a hard medium to control but it looks like you are making great headway! Beautiful piece of work, you've done there.
Your watercolour looks wonderful Marilyn!!! Love those flowers and the butterfly...subtle, yet grungy...love it.
Jacky xox
Really really beautiful watercolored page. Love the colors and the flowers. Awesome.
wow what a beautiful colours!! love it!
your journalpages are also gorgeous!
this is so beautiful, i love the colors used; and the butterfly is outstanding !
what a beautiful combination of colours Marilyn. love this.
Pretty darn impressive for a watercolor class drop out ;)
How wonderful that you got back to painting with watercolors and have found teachers that click...means so much!
Super idea to use your date stamp...I always think I'll remember...but time flies by so quickly...the days running one into the next!
Fun to come and visit and see a whole new look too...pretty blog header as always!
oxo
Loving this Marilyn....loving everything about it!!!
Before I talk about your page I have to say that I just love your new blog design.
As for the page you managed to introduce so many colours but still keep clarity, no muddy colours here. That is not always easy to achieve. Love the "drips".
We need to discuss teachers as they can sometimes make or break us. I had art teachers that were intent on breaking lol. Not helpful is it. Delighted that it hasn't stopped you from using your watercolours and taking an on-line class. If you hadn't done so we would have all missed out on something special.
Wishes
Lynne
from a cold Scotland
This is my kind of watercolor painting!! I love this look! You were right to leave the class and make your own watercolor paintings instead of what someone told you to do. I love Martha's style too!
Your watercolor is beautiful! So happy you got past that poor teacher experience. The background and your color choices - wow!
It's always sad when you walk away from a class with bad feelings. I'm glad you were able to revisit watercolors, because you are a natural. This page is super, and I love watching you with new experiments and techniques. Keep them coming. I learn SO much from you.
BTW, I like that new blog banner you put up, too!
I forgot to ask if that is a stencil on the edge of the piece.
Beautiful! Wasn't Alisa'a class wonderful?? We were classmates -- and it looks as though you did better on your homework than I did!
Diane
Your watercolor experience is very similar to my tole painting with oils classes. I just didn't fit into the instructor's mold of do it exactly her way. Sad to say I never paint to this day. Your journal is inspiring me to try...watercolors, acrylics, hmmm (I gave away all my oils and supplies years ago...drat). Happy painting my dear...
This page looks great Marilyn!
I wish that I could do such watercolour things. Love your work!
Hugs,
Gaby
This is so you. I adore it and the colors are just so perfectly blended. You have convinced me to sign up for the class if I can get in. I'm going there now.
Love that colorful page with really summer feeling!
Well that teacher would be eating her words today if she could see this piece. Your water color page is GORGEOUS! I really love EVERYTHING you post! Hope you enjoy the poppy class. xoxo Diane
I love your style! Keep playing.
Marilyn, your water color page is gorgeous! I absolutely love this artwork!
LOve it!!!
This is beautiful! I'm very inspired by your work and the different techniques you use. I'm really enjoying your blog :)
My favorite! (not the experience) but your page - it is so fresh and full of heart!
Gorgeous page Marilyn and thank you for your kind words;o)
Post a Comment