Thursday, October 25, 2007

A Lesson in Value :)



Here is another example of one of our lessons at the Karen Rosasco workshop from last week. I think this one was the hardest of all the exercises.

Karen had a notebook of a number of Andrew Wyeth prints and we, as students, had to choose one to work with. At first I was very excited as Andrew Wyeth is one of my favorite painters. I have a few prints of his around my house. Anyway, after we chose our print, we had to turn it sideways and paint on a large sheet of watercolor paper the "values" that we see. My excitement quickly turned to anxt. We had to eliminate any "realistic" things that we saw in the print. We could use only three colors of acrylics and we could add one more medium that we chose. I chose charcoal as it truly helped me with softening up any hard lines. Once we were finished, we could add one thing as a collage piece and I chose a piece of burlap as kind of a focal point; it called out to me with my color choices.

It took me two days to complete this; I stared at the blank page in the beginning and just didn't know where to start. I finally just jumped in and we had to have these critiqued, too. Everything we did in this workshop, had to be critiqued in front of the whole group. This was another growing experience for me :) I'm a very slow "grower"! :)

I so appreciate you all visiting my Blog and leaving your lovely, supportive and kind comments. They never go unnoticed! Thank you.....................Love, Marilyn

5 comments:

Kerri Jean said...

To steal a favorite Marilyn word -- WOWZA!!!!!! This is my favorite of your pieces so far. Love the abstract, love the muted color palette - excellent choices to use charcoal and burlap. I would absolutely hang this piece in my home. I love the concept of taking an artist's work and looking at it differently to create your own masterpiece. Amazing Marilyn!!!!!

Sanja said...

amazing work again,Marylin!Love this !!!!!

Viola said...

Fabulous, Marilyn! Gorgeous work!
Love this, too! :-)

Alexandra said...

Wonderful work !

Deb said...

What a wonderful piece! And a terrific exercise... the muted colors were a perfect choice and is evocative of Wyeth but distinctly your own! Deb